WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dennis, it's your fault.;-)
I could not resist buying it after you showed up your Conquest and more of your beautiful Longines. Many thanks!:thanks

Regards
Anders

·
Banned
7,645 Posts
Dennis, it's your fault.;-)
You're aren't the first to blame me for influencing purchases, and I know you've done your share as well. ;-) Excellent pick-up Anders! And welcome to a very exclusive club. :-!

care to share some details?
That is an early 60's Conquest Calendar with a caliber 291 inside. The serial number could be from late 1959 at the earliest. Longines only made them with the date at 12 for a short period. The date switched to the 3:00 position after only a couple years at most. There was a flaw in the design of the shape of the original crowns used on two models - the date at 12 and power reserve versions. They were scalloped like this:

The scalloped crowns constantly broke off or pulled out when they snagged on something (clothing usually). Here's a very late '59 ad showing it on the power reserve model:

The non-date and date at 3 versions had the serrated crowns like on Anders' watch. Longines authorized replacements with the crown from the previous model Conquest at first, and soon after used the serrated crown for the remainder of the production run regardless of whether the watch had a date or not until discontinuing that particular Conquest series around 1967-ish.

We may be the only 2 on WUS with Conquests with the date at 12. I guess we should invite all the other Conquest 29x owners in or the club will fold from lack of membership dues. I bet stophmaster would be in with his power reserve 294. Anyway, here's mine:

I love the cyclops molded into the crystal from the bottom:

If anyone is curious, I think the 290 series had one of the most efficient self-winding systems of any automatic ever made. It combined what Longines learned from mistakes made by companies like Omega, Rolex, and Eterna plus it's own from the 22A then used that information in a blend with some ideas from IWC's Pellaton winding system to create the 290 series. The watch also had a very large balance wheel making it capable of some fantastic timekeeping.

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Thank you!.....

It's very nice to get appreciation for what it shows up but many thanks should be directed to those who have a strong knowledge of watches, which I address to you Dennis. You have a number of posts shown great knowledge and gave more ignorant (me too) advice on the road. Many thanks!

Regards
Anders

1 - 7 of 7 Posts