WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay, I'm feeling the Stowa love!

On Friday I took delivery of a Marine Original and an Airman Auto no-logo. In the excitement of the moment, I posted a couple of quick 'n dirty shots, but I promised a few follow-up pictures once I had time to sit down with them. Before I get to the photos, I will say I love them both. Neither one is going to get flipped. I may be favoring the MO at this point because I love looking at that big handwound Unitas movement, but the Airman is stellar in its own right. Both have been getting a lot of wrist time.

I will also say that the Airman is a little trickier to photograph due to the lack of AR coating. It seems to reflect a lot more on the camera than my eyes pick up.

Having said that....on to the pictures! I love these watches!

Marine Original:

And the Airman..................

Thanks for looking!

·
Registered
749 Posts
Very nice pics, thanks for sharing.
I hope to be sharing in your enthusiasm tomorrow, my watches have left Memphis.

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
Both are stunning.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Very nice, indeed. I am on the verge of ordering an MO but am slightly concerned with its size. The pic with the MO on your wrist looks like a good fit. Can you pls share your wrist size? Mine is around 6.8". Thanks a bunch!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My wrist is 7 1/8". In my experience, wrist shape is just as important as circumference. I have had fit issues with some large watches that fit other people's 7 1/8" wrists just fine. My wrist tends to be rounder (narrow, width-wise) vs. flatter (wider). IMHO, the slightly curved lugs of the MO allow it to fit the contours of my wrist very well, and I think it would likely fit some guys with smaller wrists also.

Thanks to all for your compliments, by the way.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have to add a couple more. This is the Marine Original, now on a navy blue Hirsch Duke strap. Saturday with jeans, now Tuesday with a suit -- this is a very versatile watch!

Again, thanks for looking! I'll post a few more of the Airman soon.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As promised, a couple more shots of the Airman. I finally managed to catch the blued hands (and a frayed spot on my cuff) on the last one:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Were either of your watches COSC certified?

Just wondering if either one was the COSC version, because the movements are both (to my inexperienced eye) incabloc- the "top" and "chronometer" versions of the movement have this.

By the way, the MO movement is a work of art. Almost enough to turn me over from an "automatic" guy to a "manual wind" guy.

Thanks!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: Were either of your watches COSC certified?

Just wondering if either one was the COSC version, because the movements are both (to my inexperienced eye) incabloc- the "top" and "chronometer" versions of the movement have this.
Neither one is COSC-certified. You are right, the spring has that characteristic Incabloc violin shape, but I am pretty sure ETA uses their in-house Etachoc system on these movements. Maybe Mike can weigh in on this at some point.

336gabriel, that's quite a pyramid you built! Your Stowas are in good company.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Neither one is COSC-certified. You are right, the spring has that characteristic Incabloc violin shape, but I am pretty sure ETA uses their in-house Etachoc system on these movements. Maybe Mike can weigh in on this at some point.
I stand corrected, at least as to the Marine Original. Per my review of ETA's website (https://secure.eta.ch/CSP/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabindex=3&tabid=28), the Unitas 6498-1 is available in 2 grades, standard and elaborated. The standard uses the Novodiac shock absorption system, while the elaborated uses Incabloc. The Marine Original clearly does not use a Novodiac spring, so I am assuming it must utilize the elaborated grade 6498-1 with Incabloc.

I still can't speak for certain as to the 2824 in the Airman. The spring looks to be an Incabloc, but I have seen conflicting accounts as to whether the elaborated grade ALWAYS uses Etachoc or whether it is available with the option of Etachoc or Incabloc. Can't find any good images of an Etachoc on-line, either. So -- if anyone else wants to weigh in, feel free.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Your two new watches look stunning. May I ask what type of finish is your Stowa MO? matt finished? or polished? I am planning to order the MO with roman numerals but having a hard time to decide on the finish for the case.
Thanks

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Your two new watches look stunning. May I ask what type of finish is your Stowa MO? matt finished? or polished? I am planning to order the MO with roman numerals but having a hard time to decide on the finish for the case.
Thanks
Mine is polished, which I like very much. For an example of the matte finish, see the group shot posted by 336gabriel above.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Regardless of matt or polish finishing, I personally feel they all look great
|>
Bro Volker your group shot is well taken.
Thanks for the pic
:thanks

1 - 20 of 22 Posts