WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a Mudman G9000 and dyed the buttons to black. I really liked the results of the buttons, but it also stealthed out the lettering on the bezel, which I didn't like. So I matched the paint of the lettering as best as I could and re-painted. I love the way this turned out. |>

First step was dyeing the bezel with RIT dye.

The buttons look great, but I wanted to restore the lettering. I found some model paint called Ghostly Gray and re-painted the letters.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Wow! That turned out nice. What did you use to paint the lettering? I have been wanting to do a dye job and change the lettering colors, but I am scared as I never have before.

Great job!

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Great job with the dying there. I like the black button look over the red button look as well.

·
Banned
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow! That turned out nice. What did you use to paint the lettering? I have been wanting to do a dye job and change the lettering colors, but I am scared as I never have before.

Great job!
I used an enamel paint that I bought at a Hobby Lobby (embarrassed to say I shopped there). It was in the section of model kits for cars, planes, etc.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
good job on dying it.

·
Banned
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Sorry everyone, I should have elaborated on how all this was done. I used RIT dye and mixed it double strength to dye the buttons/bezel. I then went shopping for paint to re-paint the letters. I noticed the original letter color was not a pure white, rather it was more of a white/gray. I was lucky enough to find a model paint that was a very light gray. I used a Q-tip to dab the paint into the recessed letters. To remove the paint that overlapped onto the bezel, I used another Q-tip that I dipped into nail polish remover and gently rubbed the paint off the bezel and immediately wiped it dry with a paper towel (just in case some of the nail polish remover got down into the paint on the recessed letters). This project turned out better than I thought it would. Let's hope the dye on the buttons will hold up!

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
Big improvement on the original. |>

Casio should just release the DB model as a general model and they'd sell millions of them...until then, it's up to the punter to dye and paint 'em.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just figured out what Mudman I am going to get and mod! Thanks :-!

·
Registered
554 Posts
Fab work!!!

But personally I use isopropyl alcohol (tape head cleaner) rather than nail varnish remover (acetone?) cos acetone dissolves a lot of plastics (tried to clean my 'Stranglers' punk pink vinyl EP and it dissolved using acetone)

But a super result...I'm a big fan of customising mass manufactured stuff so it becomes unique.

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
Brilliant job! I dyed my green Mudman black, and you've got me thinking about painting the lettering back on.

·
7,428 Posts
I can't get over how great that looks, excellent job!

·
Banned
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I can't get over how great that looks, excellent job!
Believe it or not, I ended up selling it to a co-worker for $50.00 after I bought a PAG-40. After seeing my co-worker wearing it I realize how sharp that is and now I regret selling it. o|

I'll probably buy another one and dye & paint it, but doubt I will find one as cheap as the $46.00 deal amazon.com had.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts