WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 6309 locally (so no taxes or duties and shipping fees) at a bargain.

I thought that it would be a good alternate every day beater together with my PRS-3. Wouldnt want to scratch the PRS-3. I have a couple of other dive watches but wanted a watch with the X-factor ,as good looking as the PRS-3 but without the steep price tag.

Here's a crappy cell pic , have to get my hands on a digi cam next year.

Hope to post a better picture next year. Its in almost perfect condition . The markers are crisp white and almost no scratches anywhere.
It's amazing how this watch looks and now I know why this watch has quite a following. The bezel insert is aftermarket anyway but still good looking.

Aside from the good looking cushion case, the 12 o'clock marker is distinctive. It looks like a sword/dagger sheathed in a trapezoid, kinda like a special forces insignia.

I spent the whole afternoon yesterday trying to remove the Z-22 strap and ended up trashing the Z-22 as the spring bar (not the fat ones) that came with it malfunctioned . Ended up using my other 7002's fat spring bars. Its now outfitted with a two piece rhino.

JUST CURIOUS AND WOULD LIKE TO KNOW HOW MANY WATCHES YOU FORUM MEMBERS OWN AND HOW MANY OF THOSE ARE NOT GETTING ANY WRIST TIME AND LIES DORMANT IN YOUR DRAWERS ?

THANKS IN ADVANCE TO YOUR REPLIES

:D :D

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
JUST CURIOUS AND WOULD LIKE TO KNOW HOW MANY WATCHES YOU FORUM MEMBERS OWN AND HOW MANY OF THOSE ARE NOT GETTING ANY WRIST TIME AND LIES DORMANT IN YOUR DRAWERS?
In my case, I'm ruthless about it. If it doesn't get worn, it gets traded. And if you want evidence of that, even my Marine Master had to go, heatbreaking though that was for me. Right now, I only have one Seiko, my venerable SKX007J, and it's one that gets worn close to constantly.

Congrats on your 6309.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I have 8 watches. 6 are part of my regular rotation though my 6309, MarineMaster and Rolex GMT get the lions share of wear. At least a day or two every week.

The other three are worn at least a few days a month. When that stops being the case, they will go on the chopping block.

The two I don't wear often I won't sell as they have special meaning to me.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cracking 6309 Smesh :D

Have you got a spring bar tool or do you use screwdrivers blades?

Regs

Bry
Dear Bry;

Just the screwdrivers blade. After trashing the Z-22 I found out that the non-Seiko spring bar's springs was already stiff and I had to break the thin spring bars in half using the watch case as leverage. Of course, I had to put a tape on the case so that it will not be scratched. Then used my existing 7002 fat spring bars as replacement.

This is a better picture of the 6309-7040 and the back

Does anybody know the production date . Serial no. is 760621. English/roman day. japan case Hong Kong?

Regards & Merry xmas

Smershy :D

·
Registered
331 Posts
Does anybody know the production date . Serial no. is 760621. English/roman day. japan case Hong Kong?

Regards & Merry xmas

Smershy :D
Production date for that serial # would be June 1977.:-!

I believe the 6309 was only made in Japan.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I've got 13 watches right now; mostly Seiko divers, a 'Zilla, and a Casio chrono. I rotate almost daily, with the Monsters getting the most wrist time.

I've decided to concentrate on diver's, so the G-Shock and the chrono's will be going to new homes. After the first of the year. Maybe .....:)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Production date for that serial # would be June 1977.:-!

I believe the 6309 was only made in Japan.

Hello mrbieler

THks for your reply. How do you determine between June 1977 and June 1987?

Well based on Keveins Chans seiko divers reference, not all 6309s were made in Japan and the 6309s were marketed outside Japan. There were two 6309 models , the 6309-7040 and 6309-7049. The 6309-7040 were clearly "japan movt cased Hong Kong" which is what mine is.

For a 29 year old watch, I didnt expect everything to be perfect and original with my 6309. But given the price I paid for it, the condition, the good looks, ticking just fine after 3 days of continuous wear and best of all, did not bought it off ebay (no risk, no shipping cost, no tax, no insurance) but locally so I was able to get a feel of the watch first hand prior to purchase.

Merry xmas and regards

Smersh
:)

·
Registered
331 Posts
Hello mrbieler

THks for your reply. How do you determine between June 1977 and June 1987?

Well based on Keveins Chans seiko divers reference, not all 6309s were made in Japan and the 6309s were marketed outside Japan. There were two 6309 models , the 6309-7040 and 6309-7049. The 6309-7040 were clearly "japan movt cased Hong Kong" which is what mine is.

For a 29 year old watch, I didnt expect everything to be perfect and original with my 6309. But given the price I paid for it, the condition, the good looks, ticking just fine after 3 days of continuous wear and best of all, did not bought it off ebay (no risk, no shipping cost, no tax, no insurance) but locally so I was able to get a feel of the watch first hand prior to purchase.

Merry xmas and regards

Smersh
:)
I was under the impression the 6309's were made at the Suwa facility. I used the SCWF database to get the age.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts