WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What to do with a old, brand-new, never used PUW 1661S movement?
Just to put it away inside a drawer would be a shame! I decided to bring it back to life and to put it inside a new, stainless steel case with a sapphire crystal.

First, I had to do a complete overhaul. After 40 years even the best watch oils are definitely not good anymore.

The simple but reliable automatic mechanism, winding in both directions.

A closer view beneath the dial shows that PUW used some riveted parts, like the date setting wheel and the wheels for the date quick-change mechanism. Easier for me, they can´t get lost.

Now hold your breath! Do not bump into the work-bench!
These springs love to fly!

Now all the parts are clean and ready for assembly.

My new, old watch with a historic German movement, the PUW 1661S. Their last series of mechanical movements, both, automatic, and for manual winding the 660, before they ended producing mechanical movements in 1979. According to some assumptions, they did not make more than 80000 pieces of the entire 1660 and 660-series. Compared to their predecessor, the PUW 1560 – 1564, of which millions were produced, a almost limited edition.

The case back shows a laser engraving with details about the movement.
Accuracy of the movement is great, like with all `new´ movements, at approx. +2 sec./day.
The amplitude ranges from 290 – 310 degrees and shows only little position differences.

This is my first self made watch. Another one, with a handwinding PUW 660, is in preparation.
And even one more, with the last automatic movement made by Durowe, the 7526-4, is planned.

·
Moderator German Watches Forum
6,125 Posts
It looks good. Thank you for the photos.

What is the purpose of that pinion, and what holds it in place?

PUW_1661S_watchhans_600.jpg

Thanks,
rationaltime

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It looks good. Thank you for the photos.

What is the purpose of that pinion, and what holds it in place?

Thanks,
rationaltime
That pinion holds the small wig-wag wheel in place, which transmits the rotations of the rotor to the 2 reversing wheels.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts