WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I am new to the forum but have been around for a couple of years reading tons of info on this excelent site. I have just acquired from my brother my grandfather's Omega. I love watches but this is something special. It has been sitting on a box for several years (my GF passed away in 1992 or 93) but it still works and keeps time perfectly. I already changed the strap and cleaned it with a soft cloth but the glass (hesalite?) has several light scratches. I may try to polish it with brasso or take it to the watch repair store (they have fixed a Patek Phillipe Calatrava, also from my GF and now mine) but would like to hear your valuable opinions. Also, if you have any info about the watch I would appreciate if you could share it with me. I am hesitant to take it to the store as I love it as it is (maybe except for the glass). Still, I may try to get an Omega buckle (don't care if its original, I already saw those that Ofrei offers). Here are some pictures of the watch.
Thank you and regards from Mexico.
Tony
150113_050529.jpg WP_20150112_001.jpg WP_20150112_004.jpg 150112_101806.jpg

·
Registered
592 Posts
First off, welcome to the forum. What a classic beauty, Omega Constellation with a pie pan dial.

Even though it's been running well, I'd have it serviced before wearing it too much, the lubricants are probably

dry and it will quickly suffer wear and tear. The fine scratches on the crystal should buff out easily, and your service

person should take care of this. A fine heirloom!

·
Registered
776 Posts
Pie pan is one of the most wanted Omega from the 60's. You got here a very nice one. Watch is a steel/gold case. The ring around glass is gold and the steel case has gold cap on lugs. Like Hartmut said it needs a service, before the use and a new glass and gasgets (crown and back gasget). the glass is indeed a hesalite aka plexiglass. They did not use any other at 60's. Mineral glass came to Omega at early 70's to very heavy models like Seamaster Cosmic 2000 and cronos like Flightmaster and Speedmaster 125. No other glass can not be fitted to the watch, if you were wondering.

·
Registered
5,530 Posts

I love it

Matt

Brought to you by HYPNOTOAD

Reactions: Tototony

·
Registered
579 Posts
Awesome watch. Congrats.

My one word of advice is to take it to a good watchmaker and spend a little bit on a service and clean. Tell them to keep it as it is and not polish it as it'll reduce the value (Obviously it's worth more to you in sentimental value). Above all else:

DO NOT TOUCH IT WITH BRASSO!!!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for all your comments, I guess it will get serviced soon (maybe next week) and I will ask that they change the gaskets as Hessu suggests. I already asked if they could get a new hesalite but they said it might be difficult, however, they said it could be polished. In the mean time, I'll stop wearing it to reduce any wear until it gets serviced. I will keep you posted.
Thank you all and thank you Hessu for the info.

Tony

PS. base615, I will stay away from brasso....;-)

Reactions: busmatt

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
That's the exact model of Constellation I'd want, if I hit the lottery! What a nice legacy! Everyone else's grandad seems to have had a nicer watch than mine did. ;-)

You might ask the watchmaker to let you take a pic of the movement and the inside caseback while he's got it open.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
I would recommend buying some "Polywatch", look it up on eBay and try using a Q-tip to polish the crystal before replacing it. If there is a small Omega symbol inside the center of the crystal, then it is original and you probably don't want to change it. However, if you do, a watchmaker with an Omega parts account should be able to get a modern replacement from Omega without too much trouble.

Same is true about the crown. It is not original, but replacements shouldn't be too difficult to source.

Good luck with it.
gatorcpa

·
Registered
10,562 Posts
Welcome and congrats on a very nice Omega, polywatch is a great product in sorting out the scratches on the hesalite.

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
you GF had some very fine taste in wristwatches. A Calatrava and Connie. Tell us what your brother has...;)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I would recommend buying some "Polywatch", look it up on eBay and try using a Q-tip to polish the crystal before replacing it. If there is a small Omega symbol inside the center of the crystal, then it is original and you probably don't want to change it. However, if you do, a watchmaker with an Omega parts account should be able to get a modern replacement from Omega without too much trouble.

Same is true about the crown. It is not original, but replacements shouldn't be too difficult to source.

Good luck with it.
gatorcpa
Hi gatorcpa, thank you for the recommendations, I could not see the omega logo on the hesalite so it may have been replaced before. Do you know if those hesalites that Ofrei sells have the omega logo engraved? Also, I have seen at least two types of crowns in similar Constellations, mine has the same wear as the overall watch and has the omega logo, I am attaching a picture of it and will appreciate your opinion.

150114_104251.jpg

you GF had some very fine taste in wristwatches. A Calatrava and Connie. Tell us what your brother has...;)
DaBaeker, yes, apparently my GF enjoyed his watches, but my father and brother don’t really care about them. Here is the Calatrava…

DSC01567.JPG

Regards all.

Tony

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Hi gatorcpa, thank you for the recommendations, I could not see the omega logo on the hesalite so it may have been replaced before. Do you know if those hesalites that Ofrei sells have the omega logo engraved? Also, I have seen at least two types of crowns in similar Constellations, mine has the same wear as the overall watch and has the omega logo, I am attaching a picture of it and will appreciate your opinion.
1. Yes. Genuine Omega replacement crystals will have the logo, even if the original didn't!

2. For these earlier versions, the 10-sided crown was the only options. With some of later pie-pan models, there were several different crown styles from the factory.

Hope this helps,
gatorcpa

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
1. Yes. Genuine Omega replacement crystals will have the logo, even if the original didn't!

2. For these earlier versions, the 10-sided crown was the only options. With some of later pie-pan models, there were several different crown styles from the factory.

Hope this helps,
gatorcpa
Thanks again, I will check how it comes out of the service (including polishing the hesalite).

Regards,

Tony

1 - 17 of 17 Posts