WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Looks genuine enough, although it's obviously been restored and had a redial in the process. It says it's fully working, but it would be useful to know when it last had a service.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks genuine enough, although it's obviously been restored and had a redial in the process. It says it's fully working, but it would be useful to know when it last had a service.
Thank you very much for your response.
By redialing you mean the dial restoration? I wonder if it diminishes the value of a vintage watch.

Thank you,
Andrei

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Thank you very much for your response.
By redialing you mean the dial restoration? I wonder if it diminishes the value of a vintage watch.
Thank you,
Andrei
A dial restoration will significantly decrease the collector value of a vintage watch. A dial restoration usually turns off most all collectors which limits the appreciation value of a watch. A watch is only original once. If the dial restoration is well done it can increase the retail value in situations where the original dial is shot, but it will rarely appreciate collector wise.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In this case, do collectors actually wear watches with old/scratched/tarnished dials or just keep them in a box?
I totally understand the collector's point of view in regards to a restored item, but what about the collector's application of the item?

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
In this case, do collectors actually wear watches with old/scratched/tarnished dials or just keep them in a box?
I totally understand the collector's point of view in regards to a restored item, but what about the collector's application of the item?
I don't know any omega collectors that do not wear their pieces. I suspect if its a very rare patek or some other high end brand it may be a safe queen. An original dial in the watch world is the gold standard.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts