WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a present from my fiancee last weekend, a watch I wanted for a long time, a vintage Doxa.

There was a traditional fair in my home town and the company I work for was participating, so I had to spend 4 days working on our stand, but also got a lot of time wondering about.

I stumbled upon these 2 guys with a stand of antiques. they had mostly old books and tools, but in one corner they had some pocket watches and a couple of wristwatches.
There were some Seiko 5's and a Darwil (a famous brand in Croatia in the 50's and 60's). I looked at the Darwil and liked it but it had way to much text on the dial and numbered markers which was not something I liked in a dress watch!
I asked them if they had any more vintage watches, and they said they did, but left them at home. They promised to bring them the next day.
I came the next day, and they had 4 Omegas and 2 Doxas on their stand!!
My fiancee came with me and asked me to choose whichever I liked the most!!
Although the Omegas were nice, they were a different style and the dials on all of them were in a pretty bad shape, while the Doxa just sang to me, and when I put it on my wrist, I knew it was the one!!
My fiancee paid and I became the happiest man at that fair, and that says a lot, as there were some REALLY "happy" people there (since a lot of the stands sold traditional strong alcohol drink "Rakija" :-d

Now to the watch:

The design of this watch is IMO EVERYTHING that a dress watch should be, thin, simple, no minute markers, hand wind.....
The only other thing that would make it better would be maybe a lack of the seconds hand completely, and a gold case, but that would have skyrocketed the price!

Anyways, I was surprised at the condition of this watch, in person it seems almost NOS, but when you take macro shots you see there is some oxidation on the applied markers, hands and logo. Still it all looks great and there is a real "shine" to all those when you wear the watch!!

The timekeeping is a minute late a day, so it made me go to my local watchmaker who inspected it and said the watch hasn't been serviced ever, but also to him, it looks like it hasn't been worn that much either!! So it is in great condition, but definitely in need of a proper service.

Today it is going to be left for a service and regulation (it will take 7 days) so I decided to take some pictures and post a question about the possible date of production. Just to have something to play with, until I get the watch back :)

Thank you to all those who read this and a special thank to those who help with dating it.

Here are the pics: sorry for the lint in the pictures (it is on the surface, not inside the watch)

DSCN8502.JPG

DSCN8510.JPG

Next to my Seiko Monster, although smaller, on the wrist it has almost the same presence, because of the large dial:

DSCN8519.JPG

Side shot. It is about 8 mm thick (or should I say thin) with the crystal being half of that:

DSCN8581.JPG

Caseback with the serial numbers... You can also see marks of the watch being worn on a Perlon nato strap (very popular with older people wearing vintage watches here)
DSCN8576.JPG

The caseback on the inside:
DSCN8525.JPG

And the movement: It reads
DOXA

11/2 (I guess the size in linges)

103 (I believe this is the caliber number). the 103 is written under the balance wheel and I wasn't able to take a proper picture where it would be visible.
DSCN8527.JPG

DSCN8543.JPG

DSCN8523.JPG

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Nice watch matey, I'd put it in the 1960's based entirely on a hunch. It just has that style.

Matt

Brought to you by HYPNOTOAD

Reactions: armian and Marrin

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I thought so too, definitely before 1968 since that is when Doxa became part of the Synchron group.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
+1...Late 50s or early to mid 1960s.

It certainly is a classic, clean, time-less (punny right) design. Nice story too - the watch I wore to my wedding (1938 Bulova President) was one that my wife gave me one of our first Christmases together.

Congrats...

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
+1...Late 50s or early to mid 1960s.

It certainly is a classic, clean, time-less (punny right) design. Nice story too - the watch I wore to my wedding (1938 Bulova President) was one that my wife gave me one of our first Christmases together.

Congrats...
Thanks for the info and compliments!!

This will be my wedding watch as well, hehe!! We already agreed on that, since it is the most serious of all my watches, and her getting it for me makes it even more special!!

I know that alone is the reason I wont be selling this one!!

I left it at the watchmaker and now the wait begins.

He said it will be done by the 02. which is next Tuesday, cant wait!!

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Lovely watch! Nice pickup.
What's the case width on it? It holds up well next to the Monster.

Reactions: Marrin

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i believe it was around 34-35mm, when I get it back from service I will measure it!!

Here is a picture next to a 37mm Seiko SNK, it feels the same size, even the lug to lug looks and feels the same.

DSCN8516.JPG

Thanks to the "all dial" design, it really wears larger than 34mm, and on the wrist it doesn't look small at all.
At least on my 6 1/2 - 6 3/4" wrist!! I guess sometimes it is a good thing to have smaller wrists :)

IMAG0380.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1415429444019.jpg

on this picture it appears a bit bigger than it really is, but it is not far off

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
i believe it was around 34-35mm, when I get it back from service I will measure it!!

Thanks to the "all dial" design, it really wears larger than 34mm, and on the wrist it doesn't look small at all.
At least on my 6 1/2 - 6 3/4" wrist!! I guess sometimes it is a good thing to have smaller wrists :)
Amen to the small wrists! It looks great on you. I think the crown having such a low profile also helps. I have an early 60's Seamaster that could be the long lost first cousin of your watch-- same size, dial color, markers. Wear it in good health!

Reactions: Marrin and busmatt

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Amen to the small wrists! It looks great on you. I think the crown having such a low profile also helps. I have an early 60's Seamaster that could be the long lost first cousin of your watch-- same size, dial color, markers. Wear it in good health!

Haha thanks!! Yes, I have seen Seamasters and Geneves with almost the same design as this watch, my watchmaker has one he restored on display at his workshop. In fact that was the watch that created my desire for such a design, but he always refuses to sell his:)

He says he restored it for himself!! :)

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
UPDATE (Re: MY NEW PRESENT - DOXA - HELP DATING IT)

I got the watch back from service and I am very pleased!!

The watchmaker told me it was pretty dirty from residue of the old oils and dust, but thanks to it not being used a lot, there is no damage, and NO WEAR to the cogs!!! :)
He says the movement looks like it came from the factory (in terms of wear and tear), apart from the scratch on the plate by someone opening the caseback unskillfully!! But that does not bother me, as I saw that when I was buying the watch!!

One thing I noticed is, how much smoother the winding is!! When I got it, winding felt gritty compared to my Luch, and I felt like I am damaging something when winding, but now it is smooth and feels the same way my Luch does. :-!

Next service is due in 5 years, and I will be taking it in for one, as I plan on having this watch to pass down to my child in the future!!

He says he timed it and it should be within 5 sec/day, but that is not so relevant to me, even the service was done to make sure the watch is "healthy" regardless of timing performance, however I will track it down for a week to see how it performs, just out of curiosity.

Here is the before and after pics of the movement. The cogs in the before picture were dirtier than what the picture might suggest, and i like that he cleaned the case to a shine, which means that some of the spots i thought were rust, were either dirt, or surface rust of the dirt :)

BEFORE:

DSCN8543.JPG

AFTER:

DOXA NEW.jpg

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Now that I got it back I measured the case, and it is 35mm.

Lug to Lug it is 41,5mm.

And the first picture on my wrist was a bit deceiving and showed the watch somewhat bigger than it is, so here is a new wrist shot that shows the watch more realistically.

doxa III.jpg

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Very nice...I think it looks great on the wrist. Service makes a world of difference - A good watchmaker is invaluable.

Congrats.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Ok. Let me get this straight. You found a beautiful vintage watch and your fiance say's " Choose whatever you want and I will buy it for you".
You found a watchmaker who is not only competent and super clean but also apparently very speedy!
Well, they say the third times a charm, perhaps you should invest in a Lotto ticket.

May you enjoy the watch for many years to come.

Regards,

1 - 20 of 23 Posts