WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

MY NEW SEIKO 5 - DAY/DATE CHANGES SOOOO SLOWLY. ADVICE PLEASE.

10K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  tbdevop 
#1 ·
I recently got rid of my Solars, and went to a Seiko 5 (7S26 movement).
The day of the week starts changing at 10:20 PM, and takes until 12:03 AM to complete. During most of this time it is between dates and illegible.
The Day of the week starts advancing at about 1:00 AM, but to the spanish word, and then takes until 3:15 AM before completing to the English word for the Day.

Is this considered normal? Or, do I have a problem?

All input is appreciated.
Thanks - Greg

#4 ·
The day of the week starts changing at 10:20 PM
The Day of the week starts advancing at about 1:00 AM
I'm assuming the first 'day of the week' means the date.

All sounds good to me. Most normal folks are tucked up in bed when the day (not the date) changes so not an issue. You just need to make sure that the correct language for the day window is displayed when initially setting. The manual (or a Google search) will tell you how to do this.

#6 ·
Thanks guys for your quick input. Since I work nights, this day/date slowness is an extreme annoyance. You'd think Seiko could do better.
Question: Does anyone know of a Seiko movement with day/date that snaps at (or closer to) Midnight?
Thanks.

#10 ·
You'll need to go Swiss for that. They normally start slowly moving the date wheel around 11.40 and snap roughly around 12 give or take a few minutes. Slow date changes are one of the small annoyances Seikophiles have put up with.

Reactions: Stgreg
#11 · (Edited)
There are Seiko watches that change day and date instantly (I think in 1/300th of a second or some insane amount of time) but they are much, much more expensive than a Seiko 5. Or, as mentioned above, you need to go Swiss. There are reasons why a Rolexes and Omegas are thousands of dollars and a Seiko 5 is like $150. Doesn't make it any less of a watch. Just not the same amount of refinement, movement accuracy, etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.