WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this watch a little over a month ago and am absolutely in love with it! Titan comes up with some great designs on a regular basis but is known mostly for its quartz watches. As the brand has earned a great reputation, I was hoping to get one of their watches for myself (but only if it was mechanical). On their e-commerce site (Titan Company Online Shopping : Shop for Jewellery, Watches, Sunglasses, Perfumes, Accessories from Our Official Online Store @ Titan.co.in), I was surprised to see that they have a nice selection of automatic models. Most of the watches looked big for me. In fact, they were average-sized but since I have thin wrists, even a 45mm watch looks like a clock on them! This particular watch appealed to me due to its simple design and because it seemed to be a small-ish size. It turned out to be a perfect 42mm lug-to-lug. I truly dislike long lugs that leave a gigantic gap between the case and the strap/bracelet. On this model the lugs quite short.

The watch was available for 40% off the retail price. I think this particular model was one of their older ones and so the discount makes sense. The tag still shows the older website (www.titanworld.com). Luckily Titan now offers international shipping by UPS for $60. They only ship outside India to: Australia, Canada, UAE, USA and UK. While the shipping cost is high, the watch arrived within a week of being shipped from Bangalore. So in total, I spent $200 (shipping included) for an automatic watch that I can't keep my eyes off of. :)

The watch is powered by a Miyota 8217 movement which has a date and 24-hour complication. I suspect that the movement was assembled and finished at one of Titan's own plants. The rotor has the Titan symbol laser inscribed onto it which is a nice to view through the exhibition case-back. The case has a high-quality mirror finish throughout. I like the grip on the onion shaped crown. There is a quick-set date feature. The case has sapphire glass back and front which is impressive at this price-point. The center of the dial features a simple block-patterned design. The hour markers are applied and the "Titan" name and symbol are printed on the dial in such a way that they blend into the dial naturally. I have seen that on some watches, the manufacturer name and logo are put on a flat placard like surface which looks like its applied on top of the dial design pattern. It doesn't blend in and the overall look is poor. Another design feature I like is that the word "Automatic" is made barely noticeable. When printed prominently on the dial, I personally find it superfluous and distracting. The only con about the dial is that the minute markers (small white dots on the concentric steel ring) are barely visible.

The bracelet is made of solid steel (as opposed to folded) which I feel is also a bonus at this price point. The clasp has a single spring release button which feels firm. Usually I end up swapping out bracelets for leather bands but this one is extremely comfortable and neither heavy nor light.

I usually don't have enough wrist movement during an average day to keep the watch running for more than a few hours. So I put it on a winder at 900 counter-clockwise turns per day (though it only on there for a few hours at night). Hopefully this doesn't put too much stress on the winding gears.

I apologize for the quality of the pics taken with my cell phone. The bracelet and the case-back still had the clingy plastic film on them and so the shots are particularly unclear. Here is a link containing much nicer pics on the Amazon India website: Buy Titan Automatic Analog Black Dial Men's Watch - NC9338SM01 Online at Low Prices in India - Amazon.in

·
Registered
951 Posts
That is a sweet looking timepiece. Congrats on your purchase and wear it in good health.

Reactions: kj2757
1 - 3 of 3 Posts