WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5,850 Posts
Arrrggghhh!!!

After waiting for a couple of weeks for a 20mm Milanese mesh to come in for my Hamilton Intra-matic that I was was also going to try out on my Chronoris LE, it turns out the lug size wasn't the same (too small for the Chronoris). It was also a very thin, very fine, dress mesh... which, although it looks very nice on the dressy Intra-matic, would not have been a good match for the Chronoris even if it had fit.

I then tried a couple of heavier Milanese meshes that I use on my Hamilton Pan Europ, to see if they fit the Chronoris, but no dice again (too big this time). That's when I measured the Chronoris more carefully and discovered the lug size is 21mm and not 20mm like I thought... Arrgghh!

My last attempt was a 22mm heavy shark mesh I had hanging around (don't even remember what watch it was originally from), and Voila... it fit because the end links squeezed in slightly. Unfortunately I couldn't get the spring bars to mount, so I simply positioned it to take a shot showing the OEM leather strap on one side and the shark mesh on the other. It doesn't look too bad, actually, but I think the OEM Rallye strap is the better choice. Speaking of Rallye straps, in the same strap order I received a black Di-Modell Rallye strap with white stitching for my Speedmaster Pro, and OMG is it ever a gorgeous combination (and a superb quality strap). It just might be the perfect strap for a Speedy Pro.

Anyway, here's the shark mesh on the Chronoris LE.

DSC03635_cs.JPG

And just for information's sake, here are three different styles of mesh on three of my watches... all unique and well suited for their pairing. Starting at the bottom is a very fine, thin link Milanese Mesh (20mm) on a 38mm Hamilton Intra-Matic (the mesh I just received). In the middle is an OEM heavy Milanese Mesh (24mm) on a 46mm Breitling Superocean Heritage. At the top is an OEM Shark Mesh (22mm) with seat belt clasp on a 42mm Eterna Super Kontiki Heritage diver. The nice thing about mesh is that it can cover the gamut from dress to tool, depending on the type you choose and the watch you pair it with.

DSC03625_cs.JPG

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Outstanding pictures BrentYYC! Thanks! I personally think the mesh straps look the best with the divers. The heavier the links the better. But, they all look pretty good.

I look forward to some pictures of your Speedy with the new strap in the Omega section of WUS.

·
Registered
14,860 Posts
Just something about that model that really stands out. But not in a garish or gaudy sort of way.

·
Registered
211 Posts
It's that late 60's style with the shock of colour within the strap that makes it a near perfect fit. A mesh would have been the superior choice for Oris to have bundled as strap #2 as that bracelet wouldn't look good at the bottom of a coal shaft.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to post the photos! I hate that Oris makes a 21mm lug width. My previous BCC model was the same and it bugged me although wearing a 22mm leather strap isn't a problem. As a fan of mesh myself I don't think the shark mesh works particularly well, but I'd still be interested to see a nice Staib or something with end links. I just think it would look better on the Chronoris. I looked at the original posters photos again and I could see owning one at some point.

BTW, the Hamilton looks great! It has inspired me to look at some vintage models over the last week or two including Omega Constellations and JLC Memovox models which look pretty similar.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts