WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my U1 from the AD in Singapore :) it came with the big deployant buckle and i cant help but look at the pretty face!

here are some pictures of the U1 and my 756... i really like the heft of the U1 and im quite sad to say that my more expensive 756 is gonna spend alot more time on the shelf now. (hmm anybody can point me to cheap watch winders?)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Congratulations! You'r gona love U1.

I also like 756! Suberb watch!

I also would like somebody to point me to cheap watch winders. :-s

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the kind words guys :) just a few things i've noted after 9 hours of wear:

1) after setting the time on the U1, i noticed something that you guys might find useful - when you pull out the crown to hack the second hand, the next full minute cycle will happen *only* at the position whereby you hacked it while setting the time. Example: i hacked the second hand at the 3 o'clock position and set the time. subsequently, the minute hand will shift exactly one marker down when the second hand sweeps past the 3 o'clock pos. (instead of 12). just something i've noticed on my U1.

2) the bezel is indeed very solidly built. one question: if the bezel is tegimented to 1500HV, what about the case? im kinda worried about the crown and lugs.

3) the AR coat on mine smudges twice as easily as the AR coat on my 756.

4) oh and the lume on the U1 is much much brighter than the lume on my 756. very happy with it!

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
2) You don't have to worry about it. Case isn't tagimented but it's U-bot steel and its much harder than normal stainles steel. I wear mine for 4 months and there is not a single scratch on the case and bazel. Only one little scratch on the clasp of the bracelet.

3) That's sad, but true.

Enjoy the watch! :-!

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
It is a great watch.....I always thought it was the oddest looking thing, but after a couple of years of looking for the "one watch", owning everything from Doxa to Seiko 007 to Fortis to Rolex Sub, once I put the U1 on, I haven't even imagined wearing anything else. I think it is the immediate visual effect of that big, dull, black dial, and the rugged "no-bling" case....I mean, the Rolex really should have been perfect for me, but I don't miss it a bit! The only watch that has come close to this for me was the Marathon SAR....

Enjoy....it only gets better with "time"....(no pun intended!)|> :-! :-d

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
tallguy, you're right. i simply love the dull black dial. it even looks like it has the same texture of the rubber strap! funny how minute details like the shine (or lack thereof) of the dial or lenght of the hands can make a watch that much more desireable.

i love the sweeping motion of the second hand too. this watch looks alive! the 756, without a second hand, looks quite "dead" :p the design of the U1's second hand is pretty funky too.

here's something crazy: last night, while i was lying in bed, i felt a little strange. so i got up, wore my U1 on my wrist, and went back to sleep feeling a little more peaceful. :p am i obssessed? i think so!

·
Registered
11,273 Posts
2) the bezel is indeed very solidly built. one question: if the bezel is tegimented to 1500HV, what about the case? im kinda worried about the crown and lugs.
Case is about 300HV over the 220HV of regular stainless steel ... many owners comment about its impact- and scratch-resistance, though, so I am inclined to believe that it is really at least one full notch above average.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
The bezel being tegimented to a harness of 1500Hv is NOT immune to scratching and denting. It can be done but it's harder to do. I accidentally dropped my U2 onto the edge of a masonry block and this resulted>>>

I can say that, having owned several 316L stainless cased watches, it handled it much better than they would have. Far less damage and because the bezel is locked on, it didn't pop off like what would have happened with my other watches.

The sub steel is a good deal more scratch and dent resistant, in my opinion, but like Martin said, it's not the holy grail and is not a warranty against all defects.

·
Registered
145 Posts
here's something crazy: last night, while i was lying in bed, i felt a little strange. so i got up, wore my U1 on my wrist, and went back to sleep feeling a little more peaceful. :p am i obssessed? i think so!
You're crazy you know! Absolutely nonsensical......

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
lol!

it's just like when i was a kid, i *had* to sleep with my new toy by my bedside.

i guess we don't outgrow that phase. only thing is, our "toys" just get more and more expensive. :p

·
Registered
46 Posts
Congratulations! You'r gona love U1.

I also like 756! Suberb watch!

I also would like somebody to point me to cheap watch winders. :-s
I bought mine here in Australia, although these are available everywhere.
I have the 'Cubic' version in leather. Its very, very quiet. You have to put your ear right up to the top to hear a very faint mechanical sound. Well made and very reasonable in price, no need to buy those over priced 'Orbitas'.

http://www.orcaimports.com.au/html/modules.php?name=products

·
Registered
449 Posts
I personally think watch collecting or collecting anything for that matter should always give you pleasure and joy...
Makes it all worth it...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts