WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the process of finding one good vintage wristwatch to own, I had to send back a number of watches to ebay sellers. There was always at least one thing that I didn't like about the condition. I would have liked the Hammy with 770 movement, but, the minute hand was bent. This ones bottom lugs are a little off, but, still OK. It is going on 52 years.

Finally I found a Rodney with a nice dial. I found it by searching through the vintage Hamiltons, not by entering the name. It has a nice inscription from 1958 by the Gypsum industry for the valued service of it's recipient.

This one has the 735 movement, which had incabloc added. The dial and crystal are in excellent condition. The listing said it was working great. When I got it, it was not working at all. I might replace this band with a NOS gold plated expansion band somewhere down the road.

One interesting note from the watchmaker was that she, (states only female watchmaker) said I was lucky because no one had worked on this watch before! "No one had been in there messing it up." I am not sure this is so good, or not. Could be good, but, best case would have been one owner and consistent scheduled maintenance. Regardless, I am happy with the watch.

pics for you:

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
I like that a lot!! My only quibble would be the lugs. I was never a fan of the spider style lugs. I'm sure you'll enjoy it--congrats! :-!

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sweet solid gold. I think that was how the Parker was made. The silver dial on these watches really is nice.

I have never heard the term, spider lugs. I am now more aware of the possibility that this watch will crawl away!

·
11,481 Posts
I love the '50's vintage Hamiltons as well, yours looks fantastic!! Here is a 50's 661 automatic one I have that kind of looks like a UFO from the side:

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
@Gary- I wonder if those hour markers are the same solid gold that they use in other instances. They are hefty. Really great elegant design. I see what you mean with the UFO comment! Mine might crawl, but, yours could fly.

I also like the ss Hammy very much. Gorgeous hands on that one, sherwoodschwartz.

I looked at other makers, but, keep coming back to the vintage Hamiltons. The ones with loads of style! |>

·
11,481 Posts
@Gary- I wonder if those hour markers are the same solid gold that they use in other instances. They are hefty. Really great elegant design. I see what you mean with the UFO comment! Mine might crawl, but, yours could fly.

I also like the ss Hammy very much. Gorgeous hands on that one, sherwoodschwartz.

I looked at other makers, but, keep coming back to the vintage Hamiltons. The ones with loads of style! |>
This one did not show up in the book so I am not sure if it has solid gold hour markers, I have a 1961 Hamilton 'Cullen' that does. (14KT) Thanks for the compliment!! |>

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
One thing I noticed on a vintage watch demo was the winding mechanism function. In this demo he wound it clock-wise and instead of doing that again, he turned it counterclock-wise and then back to clockwise again. For each direction it made a regular clicking noise. My watch does this too. I would guess the round and back way is suitable and how these watches were designed to be wound. Does anyone do it this way?

I tried to upload a little video, couldn't. Anyone know? Videos from photobucket?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts