WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to store my G-Shocks in the case you see below. As my collection grew I ended up with two of them full of G-Shocks and needed to either get another case or store them some other way. The cases were neat, but I had to store the cases somewhere and the watches weren't on display, so I'd have to open the case to choose something.

Click the thumbnails for bigger pics...

Then I was considering getting a case similar to what you see in stores on the counters, something like pictured below, except it would hold 60 watches. The problem with those was I would need to get two of them and they were $100 plus shipping each! Plus I would need to have a stand or something to sit them on.

Yes, I did consider going all the way and getting a used commercial jewelry counter with the glass front and top but deemed that too crazy even for me.

So, in the end I found the solution right under my nose, well, under my feet at least. In my basement was a IKEA "Billy" bookcase with glass doors that I used to use for my CDs. I still use a couple in my living room for DVDs, but my CDs are no longer on display (mostly ripped to my PC) and I didn't have room for the third bookcase after we redecorated when my fiance (now my wife) moved in. So I cleared a spot in our bedroom, ordered up a bunch of plastic Casio stands, installed some halogen lights and glass shelves in the bookcase and this was the result....

Click for bigger pics:

(The pictures aren't as good as I would like but the lighting in the bedroom wasn't great. I tried to make do.)

The bottom half will eventually get the rest of my watches which are right now in display cases similar to this or in less attractive plastic cases. I need to get more stands, perhaps a different style for my non G-Shocks. But I should probably get more G-Shock stands while I'm at it ;-). Thanks for looking and reading!

·
Registered
275 Posts
WOW! - I am amazed. Great sollution to an all to familiar problem. What a great collection and what a nice abd tasteful way to tackle your problem. But, what if the collection grows even further and the showcases are getting too small........ :-d
Jurphaas.:-!

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
great solution and awesome collection.
One sidenote though: will the halogen light become too hot when kept on for hours on end or effect the colour on some of the watches?

Would LEDlights be more suitable?

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't leave the lights on for hours at a time, typically less than an hour in the morning or evening. The watches closest to the lights would be the only ones that would be affected even if I did leave them on all day, but even those aren't as close as they appear in the photos. The interior of the case overall is only very slightly warmer than the room temperature, so I'm not too concerned. LEDs would produce no heat, but I would need many more to be as bright as the two halogens.

Thanks for the compliments and questions.

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
Wow you could almost charge admission to view your collection :-!:-!

·
Moderator G-Shock Forum
21,552 Posts
Hi Jason,

This storage cabinet makes your collection look very impressive! I jealous on your MIY Fisherman. It's the only one missing in my collection (and I missed just one for a low price in Germany, ha ha;-)).

Kind regards,

Sjors

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Without seeing the contents, I thought it is talking about new Casio showroom.

·
Registered
260 Posts
:-! cool~ everytime you feel like going shopping...just walk past your display cabinet and you feel like you're in a store doing some window shopping!:-d saves both time and gas :-d

really neat idea and really love what your solution:-!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts