WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Everyone,

I was wandering a car show swap-meet the other day and happened across this one.

Overview1.jpg

The watch was clearly filthy but...it was a model I have been looking for. This watch dates to 1929 and is the Crusador (sic) model. The Crusador is a tough find, and is very similar to and often confused with the more common Templar/Templan model which has a similar shape and an identical engraving pattern. The easiest way to tell the difference is the Templar uses the 13 ligne tonneau shaped movement, whereas the Crusador uses the 10 1/2 ligne round movement (10AN, 10AL, etc.).

An additional attraction was the striped "linen" dial - which is pretty uncommon. More commonly Bulovas from this period sport an applied radium number dial, or occasionally a plain finish applied numeral dial. The dial looks to be in good original condition.

Dial.jpg

Opening the back showed the correct date coded 10AN - 15j movement with 4 adjustments. The dust cover is intact. Mechanically, it is in fair condition - the balance is intact but there is a problem with the regulator. The movement is quite dirty.

DustCover.jpg Movement.jpg

The back is in very poor condition however, pitted and repaired...

Back.jpg

A quick cleaning of the case and it now looks like this. I will put it on the bench for service soon. I will also be replacing the crystal.

CleanedOverview.jpg

What do y'all think?

·
Registered
18,167 Posts
It is always a good feeling when you get something you have been looking for. Congratulations!

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Watches and cars in the same place? I don't think it gets any better!
The watch was a semi-fluke (there are always a few at the swap meet, but mostly overpriced) - but the cars were amazing. 7000+ pre-76 American cars - showing, cruising and racing. A great time.

It is always a good feeling when you get something you have been looking for.
I agree...and the further you get into a focused collection the harder it becomes. Add collecting on a tight budget to that and scores can be few and far between. However, with the backlog on my bench - I should probably be less concerned with adding more than repairing and servicing what I have.

Nice find! That is a very nice model!
Thanks...

·
Registered
496 Posts
awesome watch; I think it's amazing to find these gems after all those years still intact and having the potential to tick again.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Hi Everyone,

I was wandering a car show swap-meet the other day and happened across this one.

View attachment 1587198

The watch was clearly filthy but...it was a model I have been looking for. This watch dates to 1929 and is the Crusador (sic) model. The Crusador is a tough find, and is very similar to and often confused with the more common Templar/Templan model which has a similar shape and an identical engraving pattern. The easiest way to tell the difference is the Templar uses the 13 ligne tonneau shaped movement, whereas the Crusador uses the 10 1/2 ligne round movement (10AN, 10AL, etc.).

An additional attraction was the striped "linen" dial - which is pretty uncommon. More commonly Bulovas from this period sport an applied radium number dial, or occasionally a plain finish applied numeral dial. The dial looks to be in good original condition.

View attachment 1587230

Opening the back showed the correct date coded 10AN - 15j movement with 4 adjustments. The dust cover is intact. Mechanically, it is in fair condition - the balance is intact but there is a problem with the regulator. The movement is quite dirty.

View attachment 1587223 View attachment 1587225

The back is in very poor condition however, pitted and repaired...

View attachment 1587226

A quick cleaning of the case and it now looks like this. I will put it on the bench for service soon. I will also be replacing the crystal.

View attachment 1587227

What do y'all think?
What a beautiful shape, very organic. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Peace,
Preston

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Very nice! Looking forward to see it riding your wrist.

Enjoy another piece from the golden age of watchmaking :-!

Best
Tomcat

1 - 8 of 8 Posts