·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #21

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
Hello René!

Took me a while to get to and finally read through this thread of yours!

Lots of food for thought and good advice and insight from fellow watch enthusiasts!

I of course am biased for the 79090, but it has to be blue for me, otherwise, I think the 14060 trumps a black dial 79090.

The Blue 79090 is beautiful and....well blue....which makes it much more appealing to me when compared to a black dial Submariner.

Also equally compelling in this hobby of ours is the hunt, which as some have noted earlier is as enjoyable if not more than actually acquiring the watch we are hunting.

So, the Blue dial 79090 really got my attention, as you say it really spoke to me emotionally. I was able to source one with factory service replacement parts that essentially brought this baby back to like new condition, and I imagine pretty close to what it looked like when it left the factory in the early 90s!

Here is a link to my Instagram story which highlights many pics of my 79090 I’ve taken over the years...

https://www.instagram.com/s/aGlnaGxpZ2h0OjE3OTM5Mzk1ODgyMjkyMjgw?igshid=13f9updwors5m&story_media_id=2063364366242941128

I will conclude by saying that this is a true keeper, I’ll never flip it. So I think I chose wisely with this watch and I encourage you to consider hunting for one yourself.

Emotionally speaking, it’s amazing: raised plexiglass tophat crystal, perfect proportions and easy wearing, rattly bracelet, lug holes, vintage charm, bidirectional bezel....

I’ve also owned an omega 2500 PO and Explorer, both Great watches, but I eventually tired of them and flipped them.

I’ve not yet tired of the 79090

René, Im curious to see what you end up with, and you know, there’s always the next one...!

Happy Hunting!

Cheers,
Rob
https://www.instagram.com/buchmann.69/

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Hello René!

Took me a while to get to and finally read through this thread of yours!

Lots of food for thought and good advice and insight from fellow watch enthusiasts!

I of course am biased for the 79090, but it has to be blue for me, otherwise, I think the 14060 trumps a black dial 79090.

The Blue 79090 is beautiful and....well blue....which makes it much more appealing to me when compared to a black dial Submariner.

Also equally compelling in this hobby of ours is the hunt, which as some have noted earlier is as enjoyable if not more than actually acquiring the watch we are hunting.

So, the Blue dial 79090 really got my attention, as you say it really spoke to me emotionally. I was able to source one with factory service replacement parts that essentially brought this baby back to like new condition, and I imagine pretty close to what it looked like when it left the factory in the early 90s!

Here is a link to my Instagram story which highlights many pics of my 79090 I’ve taken over the years...

https://www.instagram.com/s/aGlnaGxpZ2h0OjE3OTM5Mzk1ODgyMjkyMjgw?igshid=13f9updwors5m&story_media_id=2063364366242941128

I will conclude by saying that this is a true keeper, I’ll never flip it. So I think I chose wisely with this watch and I encourage you to consider hunting for one yourself.

Emotionally speaking, it’s amazing: raised plexiglass tophat crystal, perfect proportions and easy wearing, rattly bracelet, lug holes, vintage charm, bidirectional bezel....

I’ve also owned an omega 2500 PO and Explorer, both Great watches, but I eventually tired of them and flipped them.

I’ve not yet tired of the 79090

René, Im curious to see what you end up with, and you know, there’s always the next one...!

Happy Hunting!

Cheers,
Rob
https://www.instagram.com/buchmann.69/
Thanks Rob!!

I'm not on Instagram, but I'll sign up so I can access your story. Looking forward to checking it out.

If there are any articles or videos that you think would be helpful please feel free to share them here. I'm trying to take in as much info on all these watches as possible so I can narrow down my choices and make a final decision. Then the hunting will begin.

Thanks again for sharing, Rob.

René

·
Registered
11,473 Posts
Hey Rene, have the AD's reopened where you are now? :)

Reactions: Titan II

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Hey Rene, have the AD's reopened where you are now? :)
Hi Dan,

Yes, they're open with reduced hours. I'm going to try to visit them within the next two weeks as I want to replace all the spring bars on all my straps and bracelets. Hopefully they'll have some of the models in stock that are on my list. If they do I'll be sure to take some pictures to upload to this thread.

Let me know if there's anything that's not on my list that you'd like me to take some comparison pictures of. Maybe something like, I don't know, a 36mm Datejust on jubilee with fluted bezel?? ;-)

Rene

Reactions: cybercat and NMGE17

·
Registered
11,473 Posts
Hey Rene,

thats great news. Very wise doing that replacing. Same goes with replacing the seals to be the watch waterproof.

I'm sure they will have some of them in stock.You have a bit of a list hahaha. If you could get a photo of said DJ, that would be amazing my friend. Thank you.

Aside from that, I hope your well and managing to train a bit. Talking of which, I'm heading out for a spin on the bike :)

Hi Dan,

Yes, they're open with reduced hours. I'm going to try to visit them within the next two weeks as I want to replace all the spring bars on all my straps and bracelets. Hopefully they'll have some of the models in stock that are on my list. If they do I'll be sure to take some pictures to upload to this thread.

Let me know if there's anything that's not on my list that you'd like me to take some comparison pictures of. Maybe something like, I don't know, a 36mm Datejust on jubilee with fluted bezel?? ;-)

Rene

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
BUMP...for a comment from Dan.

And a picture for the rest of you who were lured here under false pretenses;

20200625_075754_1593222777031.jpg

René

·
Registered
11,473 Posts
Reactions: RDK

·
Registered
11,473 Posts
Ok Rene as promised some thoughts on the OP & DJ

I tried on 2 versions of the OP

34mm OP Black Dial

A simple (not in a bad way) design, the case is slightly cushion shaped, but its a nice look. The bracelet is unmistakably Rolex. The tolerances are to the usual high standard. The clasp is not like on the professional models, but it suits the overall look of the watch due to the all brushed finish. The domed bezel really makes the dial pop. They did a great job here. The dial was a Sun ray black. It did pop a little in the light with a slight hint of grey and brown depending on the light hitting angle. I like the subtle increase in size of the indices at 3, 6 and 9. It's all in the tiny details.

On the wrist it wore a little larger than 34mm. Maybe like a 36mm Railmaster or a 5 digit 36mm Datejust. It makes for a very classic look. Not dressy, just very under the radar and a perfect entry to Rolex ownership.

36mm OP White Dial

This one had a perfect case size for me. The proportions were better than the 34mm IMHO. It wears maybe a touch larger. Maybe like a 38mm? I won't touch on the bracelet and clasp again.

The dial is a stunner. It's an interesting white. It has a slight shimmer and shows a bit of a creamy hue also. Just enough to keep it interesting. The legibility of this dial is outstanding. The hands and indices pop! The downside of the 36mm however is the indices at 3, 6 & 9 have been doubled up. I know Rolex have done it to differentiate it from the other sizes, but it doesn't work. It clutters the dial and doesn't look harmonious with the overall design. Being white the watch wears a little larger than the darker dial offerings.

Overall the OP is a great watch, but I find it just a little bit to simple for my tastes. For this kind of watch I prefer the Aqua Terra.

36mm Datejust Blue Dial 126234

Ok so this is a watch that I had been fancying for a good while.

The case is super elegant. The lugs are slim and curve beautifully. Much nicer than the previous generation.

Dial is a gorgeous sunburst blue. It really does deliver if you love blue. Just gorgeous in the metal. That is framed by a fluted white gold bezel. The effect is incredible. The watch literally dances with all light sources.

The bracelet is a Jubilee. With all the tiny links, it just drapes over the wrist and it's very comfortable. It has the classic Rolex taper which I love but the hidden clasp has been changed for an oyster clasp. It has an adjustable clasp, but doesn't suit the look of the watch. Obviously it's hidden when worn on the wrist, but isn't harmonious with the overall design.

Sadly it is just too much for me. I'm never going to be a chap who can pull off this kind of watch. I'm super active and never dress up so it doesn't suit my style.

No photos sadly. I hope this has helped a little, but I look forward to your thoughts later if you get to the AD.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Hi Dan!

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts. It's much appreciated.

I did get a chance to visit my AD on Saturday, but, unfortunately, they had not one OP or DJ in stock...not one!

I did however get a chance to check this piece out;

20200627_114831.jpg

20200629_143023.jpg

What do you think?

Thanks again, Dan!!

René

·
Registered
11,473 Posts
Hey Rene,

none?!?! Wow thats crazy!!

Re the Globemaster. I think its a beautiful watch and the blue dial version in particular. The one thing I dislike is the bracelet. It reminds me of a PO bracelet that's been squashed. It doesn't suit the GM, the end links make a 39mm watch wear much bigger on the wrist and the tolerances are terrible with every model I've seen. Large gaps between the lugs. Now if it was on a strap then totally different watch :)

21 - 32 of 32 Posts