WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
That GM indeed looks sharp, Rene. If I ever considered another watch to complement my Trilogy SM300, it could easily be this one (or a 36mm OP).

I had similar feelings about the 39.5mm PO when I once tried it. And I should have known, because the 38.5mm AT also felt out of proportion when I tried it many years ago. Lug-to-lug wise both would be perfect for my small wrist but it just doesn‘t work with the overall look. I then chose the 41mm AT which however had just too much dial. You shouldn‘t have that problem with a 43.5mm PO.

Good luck, it is a tough choice. But maybe the opaline GM would give you a little more versatility in your collection than another dark-faced watch.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
That GM indeed looks sharp, Rene. If I ever considered another watch to complement my Trilogy SM300, it could easily be this one (or a 36mm OP).

I had similar feelings about the 39.5mm PO when I once tried it. And I should have known, because the 38.5mm AT also felt out of proportion when I tried it many years ago. Lug-to-lug wise both would be perfect for my small wrist but it just doesn‘t work with the overall look. I then chose the 41mm AT which however had just too much dial. You shouldn‘t have that problem with a 43.5mm PO.

Good luck, it is a tough choice. But maybe the opaline GM would give you a little more versatility in your collection than another dark-faced watch.
It's funny you should mention the OP, John. That's one of the watches that was originally in the running for my next purchase. The 39mm white dial OP. However, with all the BS surrounding that brand these days I'll be damned if I'll contribute one cent of my hard earned money to perpetuate that nonsense.

The Globemaster is a very worthy replacement, to be sure. It really needs to be seen in the metal to really be appreciated fully. I'm definitely leaning more towards the Globemaster.

Rene

Reactions: Sloopjohnb

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Fair point re the OP, Rene, and yes, I remember it was on your original list.
I tried the GM once but in blue. They didn‘t have the opaline. Nice overall look but as my wrists are smaller than yours with 16cm it was a bit borderline with the large dial. 36mm would be better for me with normal three-handers. But the GM looks great on you.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Thanks John! 🤠 👍

Rene

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Two quite different watches in the mix. Good luck with your deliberations.

Nigel
Thanks Nigel!

Yes, you're right. Two very different watches indeed. I don't try to fill any "gaps" in my collection. I just buy what I like, and what I think I'll enjoy. I guess these two watches proves that point. I'm having fun with it. Thanks for following along and participating. Let's see where we end up when this is all done and it's time to make a decision. Should be a fun journey.

Rene

Reactions: NMGE17

·
Registered
12,099 Posts
That GM looks great on you René, but the bracelet really looks wrong on it. Pop that on a nice leather and boom! Make a nice change up from your current collection too :cool:

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
That GM looks great on you René, but the bracelet really looks wrong on it. Pop that on a nice leather and boom! Make a nice change up from your current collection too :cool:
Thanks Dan!

If I do decide to go with the GM it'll be on the bracelet, but I'll get the charcoal alligator strap and deployant as well.

I tried them both on and I liked the feel of both. I like my watches to have some heft behind them, but it was very balanced on the leather, all be it a lot lighter.

René

·
Registered
9,367 Posts
Thanks Nigel!

Yes, you're right. Two very different watches indeed. I don't try to fill any "gaps" in my collection. I just buy what I like, and what I think I'll enjoy. I guess these two watches proves that point. I'm having fun with it. Thanks for following along and participating. Let's see where we end up when this is all done and it's time to make a decision. Should be a fun journey.

Rene
I agree, I think it is better to buy what you like and are certain you will wear rather than seek to fulfil some idea of a perfect collection. That is why I would not criticise someone for having for example four different Planet Oceans if that is what pleased them.

Nigel

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
I stopped in to the AD today as the SA I always deal with texted me that they've brought in the Globemaster with the silver opaline dial.

I didn't have much time to compare the GM to the PO 43.5, but I did fondle the GM a little bit and took this picture to compare it, size wise, to my Railmaster;

20201121_195337.jpg

I thought I pretty much had the winner of my eight-horse race. My mind was set on an outlier...the 39.5mm PO. I thought I just needed to try it on a couple more times and spend a little more time handling it, but I was pretty sure that was going to be my next watch. Until today, that is.

After seeing and handling the GM again today I'm back to being undecided. What an absolutely stunning watch.

Now I only wish the AD had a 39.5mm PO for me to compare it to. Looks like it might be back to the OB for another look.

René

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Hi René,

Will your AD be able to get a 39.5mm PO in for you to compare the two side by side?
I note HiggsBoson is immensely enamoured with the black ceramic version...

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #53 (Edited)
Hi René,

Will your AD be able to get a 39.5mm PO in for you to compare the two side by side?
I note HiggsBoson is immensely enamoured with the black ceramic version...
That would be ideal wouldn’t it - see the two front runners side-by-side.

Nigel
Hi guys,

Yes, having the opportunity to compare the two side-by-side would definitely be ideal, Nigel. I was able to compare the GM with a 39.5mm PO on the rubber-backed leather strap at the OB. Unfortunately they didn't have one on the bracelet when I was there.

As for the AD getting in a 39.5mm PO to compare to the GM, I don't think that's going to happen. Right now the PO is not a very popular model at the AD. They've had the same 43.5mm PO sitting in the display case for almost a year now. The SA says the 39.5mm is even less popular. For that reason I don't see them bringing it in. I'm pretty grateful that they brought in the GM for me. I don't expect them to bring in the 39.5 when I can make a very short trip to the OB to check it out.

Yeah, Ade is very happy with both his 39.5mm POs. Actually, he's one of the reasons that I decided to give the 39.5mm a more serious look. I was dead set against it at first, but after Ade's pictures and doing more research I think if I decide to go the PO route it will probably be the 39.5.

Rene

·
Registered
289 Posts
Rene,

Just curious, can we see a photo of your current Omega collection? I follow along and see a lot of your posts and pictures of single Omega watches that you enjoy, but I don’t know that I’ve seen a collection photo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Rene,

Just curious, can we see a photo of your current Omega collection? I follow along and see a lot of your posts and pictures of single Omega watches that you enjoy, but I don’t know that I’ve seen a collection photo.

I think I've only posted one photo of all my OMEGAs, and that was back in Feb. of 2020.

Here it is...the photo of my OMEGA collection;

20200222_200254.jpg

René

·
Registered
248 Posts
Hey Titan, been enjoying this thread and is there a gray seller that has both in stock to compare side to side?

Also, which AD are you talking with? I might be interested in the PO they have for sale. I wonder if they can ship to US though. PM me the details if you think they are able to.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Edit: the 43.5mm PO if you aren’t interested in it. I don’t want to talk to that AD for that piece unless you absolutely don’t want it.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Hey Titan, been enjoying this thread and is there a gray seller that has both in stock to compare side to side?

Also, which AD are you talking with? I might be interested in the PO they have for sale. I wonder if they can ship to US though. PM me the details if you think they are able to.

Edit: the 43.5mm PO if you aren’t interested in it. I don’t want to talk to that AD for that piece unless you absolutely don’t want it.

PM sent.

René

·
Registered
289 Posts
I think I've only posted one photo of all my OMEGAs, and that was back in Feb. of 2020.

Here it is...the photo of my OMEGA collection;

View attachment 15561573

René
Nice! Thank you.

So without doing too much digging and research, what are the differences between the one in the middle and the one on the right? They look like they definitely have some similarities.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #60 (Edited)
Nice! Thank you.

So without doing too much digging and research, what are the differences between the one in the middle and the one on the right? They look like they definitely have some similarities.

Okay, here it goes...

In 1957 OMEGA first released the Holy Trilogy: the Speedmaster, the Seamaster, and the Railmaster...these are their stories...bubummmmmm...

Now, we all know the Speedmaster, and that it was originally designed and released as a chronograph for race car drivers, and that it became famous for being the First Watch Worn on the Moon.

The watch in the middle of my photo is the Seamaster 300, and it was originally designed and released as a tool watch for those spending time or working under water...think divers, underwater welders, etc. In 2015, with the release of the James Bond film Spectre, OMEGA introduced a tribute to the 1957 Seamaster and released 2 models: the standard model seen above in my photo and below right, and a special edition, below left, to be worn by Bond in the film;

1606114119414.png
1606113701388.png

These references differ slightly, but that is a comparison for another time.

The third watch in the Holy Trilogy was the Railmaster. This watch was designed with anti-magnetic properties for those working close to electrical fields. In 2017, to celebrate the 60th Anniversary of the release of The Trilogy, OMEGA released a limited edition of each piece. These watches were not just a tribute to the originals, but an almost exact reissue of the watches released in 1957. Below is a picture of the Railmaster seen in my photo above;

These are two very different watches, originally designed to perform in different areas--one underwater and the other in a more electrically charged arena. Although they may look similar they differ in many ways: size-- the Seamaster is 41mm and the Railmaster is 38mm; the movement-- the Seamaster uses the calibre 8400 Master Co-Axial movement while the Railmaster uses the calibre 8806 which carries the new Master Chronometer designation and METAS certification; water resistance-- being a dive watch, the Seamaster has a depth rating of 300m and uses a screw-down crown while the Railmaster is only rated to 60m and only has a push/pull crown, albeit operating with the NAIAD Locking System; bezel-- a uni-directional, rotating divers bezel can be found on the Seamaster and a smooth, polished bezel on the Railmaster; caseback-- the Seamaster has a sapphire caseback and the Railmaster, in keeping to the original has a stainless steel caseback.

I hope this answers a few of your questions, but I would still encourage you to look them up on OMEGAs website. They give a nice overview of the Trilogy and the other relater references.

Rene

Photo credit - All photos taken from OMEGAs website

41 - 60 of 60 Posts