WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
61 - 80 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
So, I paid a visit to the AD yesterday. I had another look at the final 2 contenders in the race to be my next watch, and I made a final decision.

I sat down with "my guy" at the AD and we discussed price. I went in knowing exactly what I was aiming for, and right off the bat I was offered something a little sweeter so a deal was done very quickly.

I've still got about a year of saving to do before the actual purchase, but I wanted to agree on a price in case another increase comes along. If that happens I'll pay a deposit to lock in the agreed upon price.

I'm not going to divulge which watch is the winner just yet because I was given the option to change my mind and go with my other choice, or any other watch of my choosing. I don't discuss price unless my mind is made up, so I don't see myself changing my mind. However, never say never, so for now I'm going to hold my cards close to my chest.

This will be my fourth OMEGA I'll be purchasing from this AD. I've built up a great relationship with a particular SA and the owner, and I'm well known by and friendly with all the staff. It really pays to be loyal to a particular AD/seller. This is how a mutually beneficial relationship is supposed to work. I'm not required to purchase items I don't want or need to get into the good graces of the AD.

Well, that's it for now. I'll update this thread with any future developments. Take care, everyone, and enjoy your watches!

René

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Okay, here it goes...

In 1957 OMEGA first released the Holy Trilogy: the Speedmaster, the Seamaster, and the Railmaster...these are their stories...bubummmmmm...

View attachment 15562417 View attachment 15562418 View attachment 15562419

Now, we all know the Speedmaster, and that it was originally designed and released as a chronograph for race car drivers, and that it became famous for being the First Watch Worn on the Moon.

The watch in the middle of my photo is the Seamaster 300, and it was originally designed and released as a tool watch for those spending time or working under water...think divers, underwater welders, etc. In 2015, with the release of the James Bond film Spectre, OMEGA introduced a tribute to the 1957 Seamaster and released 2 models: the standard model seen above in my photo and below right, and a special edition, below left, to be worn by Bond in the film;

View attachment 15562393 View attachment 15562391

These references differ slightly, but that is a comparison for another time.

The third watch in the Holy Trilogy was the Railmaster. This watch was designed with anti-magnetic properties for those working close to electrical fields. In 2017, to celebrate the 60th Anniversary of the release of The Trilogy, OMEGA released a limited edition of each piece. These watches were not just a tribute to the originals, but an almost exact reissue of the watches released in 1957. Below is a picture of the Railmaster seen in my photo above;

View attachment 15562411

These are two very different watches, originally designed to perform in different areas--one underwater and the other in a more electrically charged arena. Although they may look similar they differ in many ways: size-- the Seamaster is 41mm and the Railmaster is 38mm; the movement-- the Seamaster uses the calibre 8400 Master Co-Axial movement while the Railmaster uses the calibre 8806 which carries the new Master Chronometer designation and METAS certification; water resistance-- being a dive watch, the Seamaster has a depth rating of 300m and uses a screw-down crown while the Railmaster is only rated to 60m and only has a push/pull crown, albeit operating with the NAIAD Locking System; bezel-- a uni-directional, rotating divers bezel can be found on the Seamaster and a smooth, polished bezel on the Railmaster; caseback-- the Seamaster has a sapphire caseback and the Railmaster, in keeping to the original has a stainless steel caseback.

I hope this answers a few of your questions, but I would still encourage you to look them up on OMEGAs website. They give a nice overview of the Trilogy and the other relater references.

Rene

Photo credit - All photos taken from OMEGAs website
Great info, Rene! My apologies for not responding sooner. After reading your overview, there are indeed many more differences between the models than I first realized when I just looked at the pictures. Great and interesting info! Much appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Great info, Rene! My apologies for not responding sooner. After reading your overview, there are indeed many more differences between the models than I first realized when I just looked at the pictures. Great and interesting info! Much appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My pleasure! Happy to help out.

Rene

Reactions: usmc_k9_vet

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Hello all,

Sorry for the long delay in updating this thread, but there wasn't very much going on. Well, now there's been a development that I'd like to share with those still interested in following along on my journey.

When I last posted I announced that I'd made a decision on what watch was going to be the next one to join my collection. I was so serious about it that I discussed a price with the SA, and we managed to come to a tentative and flexible agreement. To maintain the suspense, and because I still wasn't 100% certain, I didn't disclose which watch I had decided on.

In the months since I last posted on this thread I've gone back and forth between the same two watches: the Planet Ocean (39.5mm) and the Globemaster (silver opaline dial). It must have been driving my friend at the AD bananas. I would change my mind every week or two.

In light of recent rumours that there's a possible price increase coming December 1st, I've given the SA the go ahead to order my next OMEGA. My decision has been made, it's final, and I'm very happy. I can't wait to finally share it with all of you. If all goes according to plan (I still have some saving to do.) I'll be doing the grand reveal in this thread on my birthday, January 14th, 2022. At that time I'll reveal which watch I have chosen and why. I think you all deserve to hear the "logic" behind my choice.

Thanks to all who have showed an interest in my journey, and who have taken the time to comment and make recommendations. I took all your comments, advice, and recommendations very seriously. I'll have this watch for the rest of my life, and you'll all be a part of that journey and memory. Thank you so much!!

If there are any other developments between now and my birthday I'll be sure to update you all.

With gratitude,

Rene

·
Registered
9,828 Posts
Glad to see you’ve been able to reach a decision and placed your order. I am looking forward to the big reveal in the New Year.

Nigel

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Glad to see you’ve been able to reach a decision and placed your order. I am looking forward to the big reveal in the New Year.

Nigel

Thanks Nigel! And thanks for participating and being a part of my decision-making process. Come January 14th it will have been a 2 year journey, as that's the day I picked up my last OMEGA...my 1957 Railmaster Reissue for my 50th. I can't wait to share this new watch with you all.

Rene

Reactions: NMGE17 and teeritz

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Congrats Rene, looking forward to January. Just don’t change your mind again. ;)
(I have a clear favourite from those two and I hope you picked that one)

·
Registered
391 Posts
The suspense is killing me - I literally won’t be able to sleep during the night of January 13th… :p
Congrats René for placing the order for your new Omega!

To honor the upcoming 2 months of wait, I have decided to strap on my Globemaster today and take a lume picture for you:
Watch Hand Analog watch Clock Rectangle

Cheers, Peter

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Congrats Rene, looking forward to January. Just don’t change your mind again. ;)
(I have a clear favourite from those two and I hope you picked that one)
Thanks John! No, I won't be changing my mind again.😂 Come January 14th you'll understand why. Thanks for following along!

I think I know your favourite out of the two. 🤞🙂

René

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 · (Edited)
The suspense is killing me - I literally won’t be able to sleep during the night of January 13th… :p
Congrats René for placing the order for your new Omega!

To honor the upcoming 2 months of wait, I have decided to strap on my Globemaster today and take a lume picture for you:
View attachment 16223606

Cheers, Peter
Sorry to keep you awake, Peter!🤣

That Globemaster is so gorgeous!! If that isn't already my pick then it'll be photos like this one that' will change my mind...again.😂👌

Thanks for sharing the photo, and for coming along on the journey.🙏

René

• Haha
Reactions: VizslaFriend

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
So, just an update to this thread...

I received a text from the SA at my preferred AD letting me know that the watch I'd ordered for my birthday in January has shipped from OMEGA and should be arriving at the AD shortly. Another small step in the journey.

Thanks for following along and stay tuned for more updates. Forty-one more sleeps!!😃👍

René

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Rene
Thank you for sharing this journey with us. Wish you best of luck in your purchase..

I calmly await the arrival of the watch and the black alligator strap. Any points for guessing it right?

Ha ha

Best wishes.

·
Registered
391 Posts
10 more sleeps to go… (actually, for my doggy🐶 about 60 more sleeps, but I assume you don’t sleep that many times per day, René…)

Come to think of it, you will probably spend the night before your birthday sleepless, so it’s 9 more sleeps for you :D

In any case, the day of the Big Reveal is near :)

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
Rene
Thank you for sharing this journey with us. Wish you best of luck in your purchase..

I calmly await the arrival of the watch and the black alligator strap. Any points for guessing it right?

Ha ha

Best wishes.
Hi Cod,

Points?! Of course there are points. 1000 of them to anyone who guesses correctly. The points will be presented when the watch is revealed. Stay tuned!😜

Thanks for following (and playing) along. It's been a fun ride, but now I'm ready to put that baby on my wrist.

René

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
10 more sleeps to go… (actually, for my doggy🐶 about 60 more sleeps, but I assume you don’t sleep that many times per day, René…)

Come to think of it, you will probably spend the night before your birthday sleepless, so it’s 9 more sleeps for you :D

In any case, the day of the Big Reveal is near :)
I think you're right, Peter. Sleep will have a hard time finding me on the night of the 13th.

Thanks for being here and continuing to follow along. I hope that, after all the "hype" no one is disappointed.

Have a great year, my friend!

René

Reactions: VizslaFriend

·
Registered
9,828 Posts
Good to hear René!

As I’m sure you know we will all be excited to see someone else enjoy a long awaited new arrival (whether it is a watch we would buy or not). I’m looking forward to the reveal.

Nigel

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Hi Cod,

Points?! Of course there are points. 1000 of them to anyone who guesses correctly. The points will be presented when the watch is revealed. Stay tuned!😜

Thanks for following (and playing) along. It's been a fun ride, but now I'm ready to put that baby on my wrist.

René
Alright, I got a wager on GM white/silver dial. If I win, I plan to redeem my points for "wow" likes. :D

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
Good to hear René!

As I’m sure you know we will all be excited to see someone else enjoy a long awaited new arrival (whether it is a watch we would buy or not). I’m looking forward to the reveal.

Nigel
Thanks Nigel!!🤠👍

René

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
Excitement building, Rene? ;)
Haha!! Sure is, John. The journey seemed so long, and yet so short at the same time. I know that makes no sense, but that's how it feels.

On the one hand it seems like I've been reading reviews and watching videos on watches, trying to make a decision, for forever. On the other hand, it seems like not that long ago that I was picking up my Railmaster on my fiftieth birthday...two years ago.

It's going to be a special day, but I'll leave that for the reveal post on Friday.

Thanks for remembering, and for indulging me.;)

Rene

61 - 80 of 134 Posts