WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
121 - 140 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #121 ·
Congratulations!

I’m glad your rigorous selection process and agonising resulted in such a wonderful outcome. It looks great on you. I hope you all enjoyed the occasion.

Nigel
Thanks Nigel!!

Rene

Reactions: cybercat and NMGE17

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #122 ·
Hello everyone,

I hope you're all enjoying your weekend so far. Mine is over, and it was amazing, even if a little bitter sweet...but more on that a little later.

I want to use this post to Chronicle my birthday purchasing experience at the AD and give you all some insight as to why I chose the Globemaster over the Planet Ocean.

First, I want to begin by thanking you all for following along and joining me on my journey. Many of you got involved and made very valuable contributions to this thread that provided insight to help me make my final decision. Your participation, guidance, and enthusiasm are greatly appreciated, and you will always be a part of my Globemaster memories. Thank you!!

This thread has been going for almost two years now. I started it a few months after my 50th birthday in January of 2020. I was beginning the research for my next purchase and I had eight watches in the running. I thought I would start a thread to access the vast resource which is your knowledge and experiences.

To make a very long story as short as possible, over the next 18 months I slowly whittled my 8 picks down to two completely different, yet equally deserving, finalists...the Globemaster and the Planet Ocean.

Watch Analog watch Gesture Clock Watch accessory

Watch Hand Analog watch Arm Gesture

Once I'd made my decision I decided to keep it as a well guarded secret...only to be revealed on January 14th, 2022, my birthday and the day I would be picking up the prize.

In 2020 I celebrated my 50th birthday and was gifted a nice sum of money by my parents and my sisters. The idea was that I use it to purchase a birthday watch. Unbeknownst to them, and in true WIS fashion, I'd already purchased my 50th birthday watch (1957 Railmaster Reissue) which I collected from the AD on my birthday and revealed to them at dinner that same day.

I was a little disappointed that they didn't get to share in the experience of being with me when I picked up the Railmaster so I made a decision to set the money aside and slowly add to it over the next two years to purchase my next birthday watch. That way, when I finally made the purchase I could invite them to share in my excitement and be present to see me collect the gift that they so generously had contributed to.

Fast forward to November 2021 and I'd made my decision. I ordered the watch from the AD and received a text a few weeks later thatvthevwatchbhad arrived and would fo into the safe until my birthday.

With the first part of the plan now in place I got my sister and my parents together and told them that I'd saved the money they given me and was now ready to make a birthday watch purchase that I wanted them to be a part of. They seemed genuinely thrilled and the plans were made for a meeting at the AD and a dinner and games night at my sister's place with my sister, brother-outlaw, nieces, and my parents. I had things to do on the morning of the 14th, but my sister would pick up my parents and meet me at the AD at 11am...parents in tow.

This is the bitter part of the bittersweet. On the morning of the 14th, a couple hours before they were due to meet me at the AD, I got a call from my sister informing me that she was sick. My first thought was COVID, but it turned out to be just a head cold. She was staying home to isolate and she, along with my parents, would have to forgo the AD meeting. Needless to say, I was devastated. My parents aren't getting any younger and I wanted the memory of them with me picking up this watch. So I was on my own.

When I got to the AD they were all very excited to see me and wished me a happy birthday. The SA I feel with showed me the box that they had wrapped very nicely in anticipation of hosting my family. When I told them that my family were not going to be joining us they could see my disappointment. One of the other SAs said that they were not going to have me disappointed on my birthday. They were going to make the celebration as good as it could be, even without my family there. She said, "I'm going back to get some Champagne!".

Bottle Product Glass bottle Barware Material property

They "popped" the Champagne, one of the owners came out to join us, and we all shared a toast. Then it was time to get to get to the prize...you'd all been waiting long. They knew about this thread and were very patient and accommodating as I took some pictures to share with you all. I had to start to dismantle that beautifully wrapped box;

Textile Tableware Barware Linens Drinkware

The anticipation is always so much fun. I hope I was successful in getting you all to feel (almost😁) what I was feeling.

Shipping box Packing materials Package delivery Yellow Audio equipment

At this point, the SA asked if I'd like him to take some pictures as I opened the box;

Hat Fedora Sleeve Wood Cap

Hat Fedora Eyewear Wood Sun hat

And there it is...two years in the making. What a beauty!! And, as you can see, he even set the correct time and date for me.

Watch Analog watch Clock Material property Wood

And the obligatory wrist shot;

Watch Analog watch Clock Automotive lighting Gadget

For most, this would be an outstanding AD experience. However, it gets better. After we chatted for awhile and had another glass of Champagne, the SA asked me if I had time for lunch. Because I wasn't going to be with my parents until dinner time (I decided to move the dinner to my parents place with just me, mom, and dad) I said sure, I'd live to go for lunch. We went out to Cactus Club and spent about an hour having a good chat about watches and a lovely meal. I offered to pick up the tab as a thank you for all he'd done for me that day, and in the 18 months leading up to that day, but he wasn't having any if it. He insisted that he was picking up the tab.

He also suggested that we do a wrist shot atvthe table. Here is my new Globemaster and his Tudor GMT;

Watch Hand Analog watch Arm Black

After lunch we strolled back to the store so I could say my thank yous and goodbyes and retrieve my watch box. We spent a few more minutes chatting in the store and then Ivsaid I'd better leave as I still had to prepare the dinner at my parents place. I took took my bag and was prepared to leave when he said to me, "We still have to take care of the payment"...🤣🤣 I almost walked out without paying. I paid my bill and then headed on my way.

A wrist shot from the truck before leaving;

Watch Hand Arm Analog watch Gesture

After 18 months of deliberation and eventually narrowing it down to the final two, why did I chose the Globemaster over the Planet Ocean?

They are two very different watches and it came down to these two because I loved them both. There were the usual interenal struggles with size and thickness, legibility, versatility, comfort, complications, on-the-fly adjustability, etc, etc, etc.

For me, all roads were pointing to the Globemaster, but there were a few things nagging at me about it and making the decision from being a no contest. These things were, in no particular order, the fact that it had a date window, it also had a white (silver) dial, and it had a butterfly clasp with no micro adjustment.

Now, I would definitely have preferred the Globemaster to not have a date complication, but that was not a deal breaker for me. I lojed the watch enough to make that allowance.

I'm a black/grey dial kinda guy, and going with a silver dial watch was way out of my comfort zone. Again, not a deal breaker because I fell in love with it from the moment I saw it, and I had a strong feeling that that wasn't ever going to change. I was willing to take a chance on that.

The fact that it had a butterfly clasp was another story completely. I buy watches for keeps...forever. I did not want to take a chance that I wouldn't like the clasp and that I might not be able to get a perfect fit. I still decided to move forward with the Globemaster because of the fact that I kept saying I'd love the PO even more if only they'd make it with a matte ceramic dial. If only they make it with a matte ceramic bezel. If only they'd come out with a new no-date version. There were so many what its, and the fact that the PO might be in line for a refresh meant that I would rather wait to see what might be coming and go with the watch that I lived right now.

That's it in a nutshell really. As I've always said, I do all the research but I buy with emotion, and what I love.

Thank you all once again for your interest and and participation. I hope you've enjoyed my journey as much as I have sharing it with you.

What's next??😄

René

·
Registered
227 Posts
Hello everyone,

I hope you're all enjoying your weekend so far. Mine is over, and it was amazing, even if a little bitter sweet...but more on that a little later.

I want to use this post to Chronicle my birthday purchasing experience at the AD and give you all some insight as to why I chose the Globemaster over the Planet Ocean.

First, I want to begin by thanking you all for following along and joining me on my journey. Many of you got involved and made very valuable contributions to this thread that provided insight to help me make my final decision. Your participation, guidance, and enthusiasm are greatly appreciated, and you will always be a part of my Globemaster memories. Thank you!!

This thread has been going for almost two years now. I started it a few months after my 50th birthday in January of 2020. I was beginning the research for my next purchase and I had eight watches in the running. I thought I would start a thread to access the vast resource which is your knowledge and experiences.

To make a very long story as short as possible, over the next 18 months I slowly whittled my 8 picks down to two completely different, yet equally deserving, finalists...the Globemaster and the Planet Ocean.

View attachment 16370014

View attachment 16370013

Once I'd made my decision I decided to keep it as a well guarded secret...only to be revealed on January 14th, 2022, my birthday and the day I would be picking up the prize.

In 2020 I celebrated my 50th birthday and was gifted a nice sum of money by my parents and my sisters. The idea was that I use it to purchase a birthday watch. Unbeknownst to them, and in true WIS fashion, I'd already purchased my 50th birthday watch (1957 Railmaster Reissue) which I collected from the AD on my birthday and revealed to them at dinner that same day.

I was a little disappointed that they didn't get to share in the experience of being with me when I picked up the Railmaster so I made a decision to set the money aside and slowly add to it over the next two years to purchase my next birthday watch. That way, when I finally made the purchase I could invite them to share in my excitement and be present to see me collect the gift that they so generously had contributed to.

Fast forward to November 2021 and I'd made my decision. I ordered the watch from the AD and received a text a few weeks later thatvthevwatchbhad arrived and would fo into the safe until my birthday.

With the first part of the plan now in place I got my sister and my parents together and told them that I'd saved the money they given me and was now ready to make a birthday watch purchase that I wanted them to be a part of. They seemed genuinely thrilled and the plans were made for a meeting at the AD and a dinner and games night at my sister's place with my sister, brother-outlaw, nieces, and my parents. I had things to do on the morning of the 14th, but my sister would pick up my parents and meet me at the AD at 11am...parents in tow.

This is the bitter part of the bittersweet. On the morning of the 14th, a couple hours before they were due to meet me at the AD, I got a call from my sister informing me that she was sick. My first thought was COVID, but it turned out to be just a head cold. She was staying home to isolate and she, along with my parents, would have to forgo the AD meeting. Needless to say, I was devastated. My parents aren't getting any younger and I wanted the memory of them with me picking up this watch. So I was on my own.

When I got to the AD they were all very excited to see me and wished me a happy birthday. The SA I feel with showed me the box that they had wrapped very nicely in anticipation of hosting my family. When I told them that my family were not going to be joining us they could see my disappointment. One of the other SAs said that they were not going to have me disappointed on my birthday. They were going to make the celebration as good as it could be, even without my family there. She said, "I'm going back to get some Champagne!".

View attachment 16369543

They "popped" the Champagne, one of the owners came out to join us, and we all shared a toast. Then it was time to get to get to the prize...you'd all been waiting long. They knew about this thread and were very patient and accommodating as I took some pictures to share with you all. I had to start to dismantle that beautifully wrapped box;

View attachment 16369544

The anticipation is always so much fun. I hope I was successful in getting you all to feel (almost😁) what I was feeling.

View attachment 16369545

At this point, the SA asked if I'd like him to take some pictures as I opened the box;

View attachment 16369546

View attachment 16369547

And there it is...two years in the making. What a beauty!! And, as you can see, he even set the correct time and date for me.

View attachment 16369548

View attachment 16369549

For most, this would be an outstanding AD experience. However, it gets better. After we chatted for awhile and had another glass of Champagne, the SA asked me if I had time for lunch. Because I wasn't going to be with my parents until dinner time (I decided to move the dinner to my parents place with just me, mom, and dad) I said sure, I'd live to go for lunch. We went out to Cactus Club and spent about an hour having a good chat about watches and a lovely meal. I offered to pick up the tab as a thank you for all he'd done for me that day, and in the 18 months leading up to that day, but he wasn't having any if it. He insisted that he was picking up the tab.

He also suggested that we do a wrist shot atvthe table. Here is my new Globemaster and his Tudor GMT;

View attachment 16369550

After lunch we strolled back to the store so I could say my thank yous and goodbyes and retrieve my watch box. We spent a few more minutes chatting in the store and then Ivsaid I'd better leave as I still had to prepare the dinner at my parents place. I took took my bag and was prepared to leave when he said to me, "We still have to take care of the payment"...🤣🤣 I almost walked out without paying. I paid my bill and then headed on my way.

View attachment 16369551

After 18 months of deliberation and eventually narrowing it down to the final two, why did I chose the Globemaster over the Planet Ocean?

They are two very different watches and it came down to these two because I loved them both. There were the usual interenal struggles with size and thickness, legibility, versatility, comfort, complications, on-the-fly adjustability, etc, etc, etc.

For me, all roads were pointing to the Globemaster, but there were a few things nagging at me about it and making the decision from being a no contest. These things were, in no particular order, the fact that it had a date window, it also had a white (silver) dial, and it had a butterfly clasp with no micro adjustment.

Now, I would definitely have preferred the Globemaster to not have a date complication, but that was not a deal breaker for me. I lojed the watch enough to make that allowance.

I'm a black/grey dial kinda guy, and going with a silver dial watch was way out of my comfort zone. Again, not a deal breaker because I fell in love with it from the moment I saw it, and I had a strong feeling that that wasn't ever going to change. I was willing to take a chance on that.

The fact that it had a butterfly clasp was another story completely. I buy watches for keeps...forever. I did not want to take a chance that I wouldn't like the clasp and that I might not be able to get a perfect fit. I still decided to move forward with the Globemaster because of the fact that I kept saying I'd love the PO even more if only they'd make it with a matte ceramic dial. If only they make it with a matte ceramic bezel. If only they'd come out with a new no-date version. There were so many what its, and the fact that the PO might be in line for a refresh meant that I would rather wait to see what might be coming and go with the watch that I lived right now.

That's it in a nutshell really. As I've always said, I do all the research but I buy with emotion, and what I love.

Thank you all once again for your interest and and participation. I hope you've enjoyed my journey as much as I have sharing it with you.

What's next??😄

René
Congrats again René! That was a great read and and a moving journey to beautiful watch! Enjoy it in health!

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #124 ·
Congrats again René! That was a great read and and a moving journey to beautiful watch! Enjoy it in health!
Thank you so much! And thanks for taking the time to read that monster post.🙏

René

Reactions: mgonz12

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Hello everyone,

View attachment 16370014

View attachment 16370013

View attachment 16369543

View attachment 16369544

View attachment 16369545

View attachment 16369546

View attachment 16369547

View attachment 16369548

View attachment 16369549

View attachment 16369550

View attachment 16369551

What's next??😄

René

In the other thread thanks for me/us know that you had a conclusion post. I did bring my cup of tea & read it..... ;)

great to see that you were able to deal with the internal turmoil & choose just one. I still dont know how you did it!! LOL! :ROFLMAO:
two great watches & you can choose only one.....
Good to see that your AD treated you like a king....That GM is very special now for many reasons with a great story to tell.....

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
What a shame your sister and parents couldn’t be there in the end, Rene, but the royal treatment including lunch probably at least partly made up for it. And quite hilarious that you were about to leave without paying.
Thanks for sharing all this with us. Enjoy the GM and let’s see what the future brings. Maybe a matte PO?

·
Registered
9,975 Posts
Thanks for the summary post René. A real shame the family plan couldn’t happen, but sounds like a special event in any case (would have been more so without paying - brilliant moment). I am sure you will enjoy getting to know your fantastic new Omega and trying different straps and I look forward to seeing the pictures.

Nigel

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #128 ·
What a shame your sister and parents couldn’t be there in the end, Rene, but the royal treatment including lunch probably at least partly made up for it. And quite hilarious that you were about to leave without paying.
Thanks for sharing all this with us. Enjoy the GM and let’s see what the future brings. Maybe a matte PO?
Thanks for the summary post René. A real shame the family plan couldn’t happen, but sounds like a special event in any case (would have been more so without paying - brilliant moment). I am sure you will enjoy getting to know your fantastic new Omega and trying different straps and I look forward to seeing the pictures.

Nigel
John and Nigel,

Thank you both for taking the time to tackle that monster post. It was a long one, but I wanted to finish off the thread by giving you all the complete experience of my journey, from beginning to end.

Yes, a real shame they couldn't join me. After all was said and done, I actually felt guilty for having had such a great time without them.

I was actually thinking of you on Saturday, Nigel. I was at my folks' place again and they kept catching me staring at my watch. I thought of your trademarked saying, "Enjoy staring at your new (insert watch model here)!".

I'm going to take at least a couple weeks to enjoy the Globemaster before I start thinking about what's next, but I must say that OMEGA are slowly pushing their prices out of my range.

All the best, guys!!

Rene

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Thanks for sharing your journey with us. What a bummer in your family not being able to join you but such are the times we live in. Everyone is on the edge and I can't wait for this to be gone forever. Something tells me I maybe waiting a while.

Enjoy your new acquisition, you may push me over the edge on this silver dial GM, its a stunner IMHO.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Dear René,

It was great to join you on this journey, and thanks for taking the time to document your experience and write this “monster” post - I have very much enjoyed reading it and also looking at the photos!

As for your question of “What’s next?”: of course a review from you after having used it for a few weeks ;)
Cheers,

Peter

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #132 ·
Dear René,

It was great to join you on this journey, and thanks for taking the time to document your experience and write this “monster” post - I have very much enjoyed reading it and also looking at the photos!

As for your question of “What’s next?”: of course a review from you after having used it for a few weeks ;)
Cheers,

Peter
Absolutely, Peter! There will definitely be a review forthcoming. I'll try to include it here as well as in a dedicated thread. I think it'll probabl be around a month from now.

Thanks for your kind words. I'm happy you enjoyed the thread.

René

·
Registered
9,975 Posts
John and Nigel,

Thank you both for taking the time to tackle that monster post. It was a long one, but I wanted to finish off the thread by giving you all the complete experience of my journey, from beginning to end.

Yes, a real shame they couldn't join me. After all was said and done, I actually felt guilty for having had such a great time without them.

I was actually thinking of you on Saturday, Nigel. I was at my folks' place again and they kept catching me staring at my watch. I thought of your trademarked saying, "Enjoy staring at your new (insert watch model here)!".

I'm going to take at least a couple weeks to enjoy the Globemaster before I start thinking about what's next, but I must say that OMEGA are slowly pushing their prices out of my range.

All the best, guys!!

Rene
I didn’t realise I had over used that phrase. Still it seems to apply in this case.

Nigel

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #134 ·
I didn’t realise I had over used that phrase. Still it seems to apply in this case.

Nigel
Not over used at all. Nothing could be more true.

René

Reactions: NMGE17

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #136 ·
healthy and enjoyable reading. Thank you for sharing (y)
Thanks Bruno!

It was a fun process, and I enjoyed taking everyone on the ride with me. We all crave that new watch rush, but we can't all buy new watches all the time. I thought everyone could live vicariously through me.😁👍

I'm happy you enjoyed it.

René

Reactions: PFEN and solesman

·
Registered
12,735 Posts
Thanks Bruno!

It was a fun process, and I enjoyed taking everyone on the ride with me. We all crave that new watch rush, but we can't all buy new watches all the time. I thought everyone could live vicariously through me.

I'm happy you enjoyed it.

René
Talking of which, what’s next then René?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #138 ·
Talking of which, what’s next then René?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well, I've been taking the time after picking up the Globemaster to read and watch reviews of many different watches from different brands. I've been focused on OMEGA in the past because I love their brand history, designs, innovative spirit, and value. Lately, however, I've been a bit disappointed in their direction. Especially after their new 2022 releases today. In my view, I don't see anything in the new lineup that a substantial number of enthusiasts have been asking for. All that, in conjunction with their idea of going upmarket and pricing the average watch buyer and enthusiast out of their brand has me looking elsewhere.

Right now I'm taking a close look at IWC and Zenith...among others.

René

·
Registered
660 Posts
.....Right now I'm taking a close look at IWC and Zenith...among others.

René
'bonjour'
twice I left a store with a zenith. always El Primero. the first in 1999 and the second ( Pilot) in 2009.
wonderful watches. I sold them.
I am not a collector. (and not a millionaire too). I wear them every day and I do not bring them to revision.
As long as it works!! :sneaky:
They usually stay on my wrist for about ten years. I still have 3 watches available. one for the summer. one for the winter and one that does not risk much.
That's why the 'zenith stars' are no longer at home. no regrets. only my Geneva Communion Lip (1969), my dad's chrono and my grandfather's watch will accompany me to the end. my 10-year turn over is done.

*A Tudor for the summer because it was impossible for me to get its big sister from rolex even though my AD knew that 2022 was my 40th wedding anniversary and January my birthday.
*A Speedmaster 3861 for the winter.
*A Monaco cal 11
*My old PO (will soon find a new wrist).
of course, my Geneva lip received at my communion (1969) and my dad and grandfather's watches, they stay at home.

bonne journée.
:sneaky:

Watch Wheel Automotive tire Light Alloy wheel

Watch Product Rectangle Natural material Red

Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Material property

Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Rectangle

Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Everyday carry

Watch Analog watch White Light Clock

Watch Analog watch Product Black Gadget

Watch Hand Analog watch Clock Finger

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #140 ·
'bonjour'
twice I left a store with a zenith. always El Primero. the first in 1999 and the second ( Pilot) in 2009.
wonderful watches. I sold them.
I am not a collector. (and not a millionaire too). I wear them every day and I do not bring them to revision.
As long as it works!! :sneaky:
They usually stay on my wrist for about ten years. I still have 3 watches available. one for the summer. one for the winter and one that does not risk much.
That's why the 'zenith stars' are no longer at home. no regrets. only my Geneva Communion Lip (1969), my dad's chrono and my grandfather's watch will accompany me to the end. my 10-year turn over is done.

*A Tudor for the summer because it was impossible for me to get its big sister from rolex even though my AD knew that 2022 was my 40th wedding anniversary and January my birthday.
*A Speedmaster 3861 for the winter.
*A Monaco cal 11
*My old PO (will soon find a new wrist).
of course, my Geneva lip received at my communion (1969) and my dad and grandfather's watches, they stay at home.

bonne journée.
:sneaky:

View attachment 16484348

View attachment 16484346

View attachment 16484349

View attachment 16484351

View attachment 16484350

View attachment 16484356

View attachment 16484355

View attachment 16484357
Bonjour Bruno,

That PILOT is a gorgeous watch. Too bad it's gone. As you say...no regrets.

Rene

Reactions: NMGE17 and PFEN
121 - 140 of 149 Posts