WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Novice review of the Tissot Seastar 1000 silver face w/ bracelet.

Overall my first impression of the watch after I found the model on the net and when I actually got a hold of one is it is a very good looking watch; it definitely met my expectations. The watch dial, case and bracelet give it a really strong overall appearance and presence. For a watch under $500US it has a lot to offer. After spending some time with it I have some comments:

The face of it is really hard to take a picture of and get its true colors down as it is slightly reflective, so any flash you use the dial will look white. The dials true color is a rather attractive brushed silver / mother of pearl like finish so in real life it seems to change with the room lighting a little as well. I bring this up because in a lot of pictures on the net I saw of this watch the dial looks stark white and this is definitely not the case. Tissot lists the dial as silver, and in my opinion the dial isn't quite silver either. I think the dial, for me, remains the watches most attractive feature. The hands are a rather strange choice though; they are a mirror surface finish plus the lume and the hour and second hand have red outlines at the end of them in the shape of a big arrow. I find myself not liking the minute hand much at all, mostly when I look at the watch I want to know the minutes not the hour and with the combination of the silvery face and the reflection off the minute hand sometimes it just disappears! I would have liked to see a black outline on the end of the minute hand similar to how the hour is finished off in red; I think that would help a lot in readability with the added contrast.

Lume? I don't know; my opinion is still out on that. So many times in the evening I look at the watch and there looks to be no lume whatsoever. After walking out of the sun I am not so sure this would pass the movie test, initially it is very bright but seems to fall off rapidly. The choice of position on the minute hand for the lume also again detracts from its readability because it is fairly small and right out at the end near the reach of the dials hour markers, so if it is near one of these it blends in with the face and you have to search for it a bit.

What can I say about the case? Being my first watch that is actually rated for diving this case is more substantial than any other watch I own. The case is big, heavy and has some attractive angles. I really like the finish on the case, the interaction between the portions that are mirror polished and a mat finish (bead blasted appearance on the bezel and brushed on the case) really look nice with a good attention to detail on the bezel. The crown is really special; it looks like they started with a casting that has the Tissot "T" molded into the end of it and then cut spines and a little lathe work to end up with two rows of square studs sticking out of it. The result is it is easy to pull out because you can get a grip on it without having to stick a fingernail behind it and it has some really neat looks to boot.

The offset porthole on the back is rather neat at first appearance and compliments the custom rotor rather well. The rotor has the inscribed diver and word Seastar on the edge of it that, along with the offset exhibition back, makes the diver surface and go back under your artificial water line as you turn the watch which is an interesting and somewhat elaborate effect. My problem is that if you hold the watch sideways and look at it edge on you notice that glass sticks out of the back of the watch more than other exhibition backs so that the back of the watch does not have a flat back. I am not sure if this is to maintain the depth rating with thick enough material, but the glass sticks out about 1.5~2mm. In my opinion this makes the watch "sit" on the wrist a little odd because the porthole is not as big as the watch so the whole watch sits up a bit on that protrusion of glass that sticks out. I like to wear my watches just a little loose and this awkwardness seems to make it flop around a bit more than I like it to, and then if you sneak the fine size adjustment on the bracelet in one or two clicks you wind up with a dark red circle on your wrist at the end of the day.

Accuracy of the ETA 2824-2 movement in my particular watch seems to be running about +5 to +8 seconds a day but I haven’t really gotten serious about seeing the details of its accuracy. I have noticed that the numerals in the date window are not perfectly centered in the window and seem to trend a little high.

I think they skimped a little on the bracelet, the end links between the case lugs and quite a few pieces of the buckle are stamped pieces of sheet metal instead of the machined chunk of metal that higher end watches have. I only notice this because I don't like the "tinkly" noise sheet metal makes sometimes when I move. I was able to correct this little problem by tightening the end link keepers under the watch to hold those end links closer to the watch case with an absolute minimum of movement. The band does have a second stage expander for wear over a wetsuit that adds about 25mm or about 1 inch to the band when open. In my opinion they should have added one or two more fine adjustment positions. There are three given and their spacing is about 1.5mm on center giving you about 3mm of fine adjustment room. The removable (by a push pin) links adjust the band in increments of about 10.5mm so with these and the fine adjustments you can run into a problem if your wrist size is inside that 4mm that can’t be obtained. This seems to me rather petty now that I look at the numbers but none the less I have gone back and forth twice on removing one link and playing with the fine adjustment and just seem to wind up either too tight or too loose. This is probably a result of the aforementioned strangely shaped case back. I do like the looks of the bracelet; I guess you would call it a shark tooth style as the links in several rows have corners that stick up that give it a deliciously chunky appearance that set it apart from many bracelet styles with their overall smooth surfaces.

Here are a couple quick shots, not pro shots and I don’t exactly have the lighting for this type of macro work. I realized afterwards that I could have done a better job of cleaning up the watch too, ah well; this is as it was right off of my wrist.

Here I am trying to illustrate the offset porthole protrusion on the back of the watch.

·
5,138 Posts
Many thanks for the review; the pics aren't coming across for me, though. My Seastar is the silver dial as well and it's one of my favorites. :-!

From your description of the minute hand, it sounds like you got one from the first year of production (like mine). That first year the minute hand was skeletonized with just a couple of dabs of lume at the very tip. Subsequent production runs filled in the entire length of the minute hand with lume.

Thanks again for the great review.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Many thanks for the review; the pics aren't coming across for me, though. My Seastar is the silver dial as well and it's one of my favorites. :-!

From your description of the minute hand, it sounds like you got one from the first year of production (like mine). That first year the minute hand was skeletonized with just a couple of dabs of lume at the very tip. Subsequent production runs filled in the entire length of the minute hand with lume.

Thanks again for the great review.
Your welcome. Due to my hosting my pictures from a server in my closet and a work around I have to do for my ISP some may have issues. If you can't pull up the below directory path in internet explorer you are being blocked somehow, if you are at work then blame them: that strange port number kills a lot of people at work.

http://scottjal.ath.cx:85/watches/

·
5,138 Posts
Yep, I'm at work. The firewall here must be blocking your pics. :-(

·
Registered
74 Posts
Very nice review. The real awesomeness of the watch comes out when you go into the water. The dial has such an exquisite depth that I couldn't believe my eyes the first time. I have it for almost three years now and I believe it is the most solid watch one can find.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Very nice review, I enjoyed reading it..:thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts