·
Premium Member
11,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
11,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for this great review. It is sad that you have to depart with this gorgeous piece but sounds like it will be put more in use with the new owner. Hopefully you will find another JLC piece that fits your lifestyle better!
Thanks. Yes, the new owner is a younger man who travels quite a lot. He lives on the west coast and spent all of this week on the east coast (great timing, huh? ;-)).

Originally, I was torn between the Master Calendar and the Hometime. By the time I had decided - just barely - on the Calendar, they had stopped making it available on bracelet. So I went with the Hometime. I think, if circumstances ever permit, I would like to have either the Master Calendar or Grand Reveil in 18k, with the strap and deployant.

·
Premium Member
11,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
7,940 Posts
Nice, if tragic, review. I spent about a year deciding between that watch and my Memovox. In the end, the Memovox felt very slightly less dressy and I liked that the alarm was such a signature JLC complication.

Too late now but I think you could have bridged the wardrobe gap with a handful of Brooks Bros. polo shirts..... ;-)

Thank you! So glad you enjoyed it.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Fantastic read. :)
I own the very same watch on bracelet.

I don't travel all that much and when I do, I don't know why, but something always drags me to not wear my Hometime with me in going overseas. I've used it once - going to Perth. 3 hours time difference to home. That was a decent level of use - especially so given that I wasn't making international calls and such but since that time I've not worn my Hometime outside of my home timezone.

I sometimes think that I'm wasting it's most awesome implementation of the GMT complication and that I should have got the much simpler and equally as elegant delivery of the plain old Master Control but on the flip, I really do still enjoy my Hometime.

What might happen when I get my next wrist piece? I don't know - at this stage, the Hometime shares wrist time with my TAG Heuer 1887. One of the reasons why I bought the Hometime was very much like you described in your story - to own something of the big 4. The feeling initially was great - I love the build, design, quality and finish of the piece but I've learned a lot more about watches since being drawn to the great maw of watches. I'm a tech fan. I loved the tech of the 975H movement, the way they went about designing it, the way they went about testing it and putting it together. I love that they have the star-shaped date wheel change mechanism, the ceramic bearings and unidirectional autowinder.... but there's something even more geek-tech out there for me. The Spring Drive. So what might happen to my Hometime when I pick up a Grand Seiko yet I don't know. I know I won't part with my 1887 - there's just something about that watch that draws me back to it all the time. I tried to part with it once, it was on for sale for a while, no bites so I decided to keep it, then fell in love with it all over again. If I decide to part with the Hometime and it doesn't sell, maybe I'll fall in love with it all over again but for now, I'm still in love with it and have no intentions yet to part with it.

Thank you again for your story and review. It was a wonderful read.

·
Premium Member
11,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice, if tragic, review. I spent about a year deciding between that watch and my Memovox. In the end, the Memovox felt very slightly less dressy and I liked that the alarm was such a signature JLC complication.

Too late now but I think you could have bridged the wardrobe gap with a handful of Brooks Bros. polo shirts..... ;-)
Interestingly, I've always had a fascination with mechanical alarm watches, but too many have arming devices that have to be pulled out (there goes even a hint of water resistance, and they're always getting accidentally pushed back in ... so no alarm). That's why I liked the Grand Reveil. It had a slide switch that armed the alarm. However, I - like you - really liked the classic look of the Memovox. Unfortunately, I could never get anyone on the forum to answer my question as to whether the Memovox had a slide-arm switch like the Grand Reveil, or the winding stem had to be pulled out to arm the alarm. The nearest JLC AD is a four-hour drive away, so dropping in to take a look was out of the question. But I agree with you, Gary: The Memovox has a much more historic look and feel, plus it isn't quite as dressy as the Hometime. If I ever see one in the flesh - or someone finally tells me how the alarm turns on and off - I might have one someday.

And, by the bye, I have a whole bar in my closet full of polos. That's my "formal" wear when I go out at night. But most mornings I just pull the next tee in the queue. ;-)

I don't travel all that much and when I do, I don't know why, but something always drags me to not wear my Hometime with me in going overseas. I've used it once - going to Perth. 3 hours time difference to home. That was a decent level of use - especially so given that I wasn't making international calls and such but since that time I've not worn my Hometime outside of my home timezone.

I sometimes think that I'm wasting it's most awesome implementation of the GMT complication and that I should have got the much simpler and equally as elegant delivery of the plain old Master Control but on the flip, I really do still enjoy my Hometime.
Thanks for the kind words. When I realized the Hometime might be a tad too dressy for me, I considered getting a Master Chronograph, which is only available on leather. Then I was going to swap the leather and deployant onto the Hometime, selling it, and keep the chronograph on the bracelet (since the bracelet is universal in the Master line).

Of course, since then I have realized that my fascination with chronographs does not actually extend to wearing them. o| I just sold my Daytona, which I had coveted for years and just acquired last summer. I think it will be a long time before I wear anything but a three-hander, unless I get another plane (which would come, by necessity, after my winning the lottery or publishing a bestseller :-d). Then I might snag another GMT II ... unless I embrace the utilitarian perfection of my Hammie Air Zermatt. Every time I wear it, it asks, "Why are we not in a cockpit?"

·
Registered
7,940 Posts
Crown IN to arm. OUT to turn off (if it's still charged). It seemed odd to me at first as it seems more intuitive to push the button in to stop the alarm. Then I realised that the reverse would mean walking around with the crown extended. I never use the full charge on the alarm, anyway, so I just leave it to play out.

Interestingly, I've always had a fascination with mechanical alarm watches, but too many have arming devices that have to be pulled out (there goes even a hint of water resistance, and they're always getting accidentally pushed back in ... so no alarm). That's why I liked the Grand Reveil. It had a slide switch that armed the alarm. However, I - like you - really liked the classic look of the Memovox. Unfortunately, I could never get anyone on the forum to answer my question as to whether the Memovox had a slide-arm switch like the Grand Reveil, or the winding stem had to be pulled out to arm the alarm. The nearest JLC AD is a four-hour drive away, so dropping in to take a look was out of the question. But I agree with you, Gary: The Memovox has a much more historic look and feel, plus it isn't quite as dressy as the Hometime. If I ever see one in the flesh - or someone finally tells me how the alarm turns on and off - I might have one someday.

And, by the bye, I have a whole bar in my closet full of polos. That's my "formal" wear when I go out at night. But most mornings I just pull the next tee in the queue. ;-)

Thanks for the kind words. When I realized the Hometime might be a tad too dressy for me, I considered getting a Master Chronograph, which is only available on leather. Then I was going to swap the leather and deployant onto the Hometime, selling it, and keep the chronograph on the bracelet (since the bracelet is universal in the Master line).

Of course, since then I have realized that my fascination with chronographs does not actually extend to wearing them. o| I just sold my Daytona, which I had coveted for years and just acquired last summer. I think it will be a long time before I wear anything but a three-hander, unless I get another plane (which would come, by necessity, after my winning the lottery or publishing a bestseller :-d). Then I might snag another GMT II ... unless I embrace the utilitarian perfection of my Hammie Air Zermatt. Every time I wear it, it asks, "Why are we not in a cockpit?"

·
Premium Member
11,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Crown IN to arm. OUT to turn off (if it's still charged). It seemed odd to me at first as it seems more intuitive to push the button in to stop the alarm. Then I realised that the reverse would mean walking around with the crown extended. I never use the full charge on the alarm, anyway, so I just leave it to play out.
Wow ... ingenious. Well, I guess there still might be a JLC in my future. And no longer excuses for being late for engagements. ;-)

Thanks for the clue-in. :-!

·
Registered
1,209 Posts

I got my Compressor GMT instead of the Master Homtime for this reason. I figured that I want something tougher/sportier when I travel anyway.

Wow ... ingenious. Well, I guess there still might be a JLC in my future. And no longer excuses for being late for engagements. ;-)

The Memovox would be my next JLC purchase (just don't know when...). I tried it on a few months ago and everything (the size, the bezel size, the look, etc.) feels just right. I think you will enjoy it, although your other choices are great as well!

·
Registered
7,940 Posts
Have you considered the Tribute to Deep Sea Alarm? Same movement but more sporty (and dunkable). Unfortunately, a touch beyond what I'm comfortable spending (or rather, spending and then explaining to my wife).

·
Premium Member
11,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Have you considered the Tribute to Deep Sea Alarm? Same movement but more sporty (and dunkable). Unfortunately, a touch beyond what I'm comfortable spending (or rather, spending and then explaining to my wife).
I've drifted away from high-end dive watches, having my SMP whenever one is needed. I also like JLC's deployant, but really dislike wearing straps with pin buckles. Finally, I never want another watch with a plexiglas crystal ... Polywatch's great abilities notwithstanding.

Truthfully, a Memovox in 18K rose gold would be a real temptation, now that I know how the alarm works. But that's contingent upon me finding myself needing a dressier watch again ... and the resources. It could happen. ;-)

·
Registered
50 Posts
I am the lucky purchaser of Rob's Master Hometime, and I absolutely love it. I had been searching for a new watch since last summer, and finally landed on the Hometime over the holidays. I was fortunate to find that Rob's was for sale a couple weeks back, and have not taken it off my wrist (except while sleeping), since receiving it. It fits and suits me perfectly. Tomorrow I am flying back to the east coast, and am looking forward to trying the hometime function for real. Overall, a fabulous watch, that works (for me) in anything from dress attire, to jeans & loafers.

Thanks again Rob.

Mike.

·
Premium Member
11,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am the lucky purchaser of Rob's Master Hometime, and I absolutely love it. I had been searching for a new watch since last summer, and finally landed on the Hometime over the holidays. I was fortunate to find that Rob's was for sale a couple weeks back, and have not taken it off my wrist (except while sleeping), since receiving it. It fits and suits me perfectly. Tomorrow I am flying back to the east coast, and am looking forward to trying the hometime function for real. Overall, a fabulous watch, that works (for me) in anything from dress attire, to jeans & loafers.

Thanks again Rob.

Mike.
That watch was just too nice not to have someone care about it as much as you obviously do. Enjoy for many years to come.

·
Premium Member
11,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
New JLC advertising tagline: "You never really own a Jaeger LeCoultre. You merely look after it for the next owner" ;-)
That's a great slogan. I bet a company like Patek Philippe could use something like that, too. Oh, wait ... they do: :-d

"You never actually own a Patek Philippe.
You merely look after it for the next generation."

·
Registered
47 Posts
That's a great slogan. I bet a company like Patek Philippe could use something like that, too. Oh, wait ... they do: :-d

"You never actually own a Patek Philippe.
You merely look after it for the next generation."
And the perfect watch for your current lifestyle.. the patek aquanaut!

·
Registered
980 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
I dunno... thinking about the hobby and stuff you love is just being human.

iinsic, your writings about the watch pushed me enough. I'd been considering selling my Hometime for a few months now and your words had a few true rings in my mind as I read it and subsequently the comments and replies that have come through on this thread so my watch is now up for sale in the sale forum. It'll hopefully generate enough funds for me to get my next piece - one which tickles my geek-bones and fancies and has been gnawing away at me for a good year or so now.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts