WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Have you considered you might like watches more, if you thought about them less?
I don't know ... it certainly hasn't worked that way with my libido. ;-)

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Now that you've parted ways with two of your stable, the Daytona and the JLC, are you planning on acquiring any replacements? If so, what?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Just starting the thread. Sorry if this has been addressed ...
I don't get the implementation. The small second-time-zone seems to duplicate the GMT hand. Why have both?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Just starting the thread. Sorry if this has been addressed ...
I don't get the implementation. The small second-time-zone seems to duplicate the GMT hand. Why have both?

I'm copying from my post in the "Show your JLC" thread:

The skeleton hour hand provides a quick and easy read of the reference (home) time in a 12-hour format. The 24-hour subdial is meant to mainly indicate daytime vs. nighttime of the reference (home) location; the top half represents daytime (see the engraving that emulates sunlight) and the bottom half represents night time (see the engraving that emulates night sky). Although you can also tell the reference time in the 24-hour format in the subdial, that is more of a secondary purpose as the dial is too small for a quick and easy read.

You can probably better understand the design philosophy of this Master Hometime (dualtime) if you look at its predecessor:

c166.jpg

As you can see, instead of a 24-hour sub-dial, the previous version includes a jour-et-nuit sub-dial that indicates only day and night. I suspect that for the current version, JLC aims to have a more symmetrical dial and thus use a complete circular subdial for the day/night indicator to balance the small seconds subdial.

I much prefer this interface or implementation over the other ones such as those commonly found in many GMT watches (e.g., Rolex GMT, etc.). The reason is that it is much more intuitive to tell time from a watch in a 12-hour format as this is what we have been trained to do. The other implementation requires me to learn the "new" system to figure out the reference time. In addition, the skeleton hour hand, when not in use, can be hidden underneath the main hour hand, giving the watch a very clean look. By contrast, the other GMT implementation always has a distinct (and somewhat out of place as they are usually in some bright color) extra hand all the time.

Daniel

·
Registered
153 Posts
I'd prefer either/or. Either the 24-hour sub dial (my favorite) or a 24-hour center hand.

·
Premium Member
11,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Now that you've parted ways with two of your stable, the Daytona and the JLC, are you planning on acquiring any replacements? If so, what?
The Daytona has been replaced by a new Datejust. I thought briefly about a new Explorer ILO my Skyfall AT, but side-by-side, I found the AT more comfortable to wear. I've a couple more I'm considering, but that could change (perhaps several times ;-)) by the time I make a purchase.

I'd prefer either/or. Either the 24-hour sub dial (my favorite) or a 24-hour center hand.
The real utility of the Hometime is in travel. If this is something you wear around home and office, it might not make as much sense. But crossing time zones in a plane every day is where this watch shines ... it keeps you clear about the time here and there, at only a glance. Alas, that was me 30 years ago. Today ... not so much.

·
Registered
153 Posts
But the 24-hour sub-dial does that. Why the skeleton hand? Or why not make the skeleton hand a 24-hour indicator and lose the sub-dial?
Just seem anti-simple to me.

·
Registered
483 Posts
But the 24-hour sub-dial does that. Why the skeleton hand? Or why not make the skeleton hand a 24-hour indicator and lose the sub-dial?

Hi, it's because it's easier (maybe for some people) to glance at the skeleton hand and read it as say 5pm in conjunction with the minute hand and day night indicator than try to work out what the hour hand position means on a 24 hour face. It avoids putting 24 hour marks on the bezel is the short answer.

·
Registered
7,940 Posts
For those who find a main 12 hour dial more intuitive, the smaller subdial is used as a day/night indicator. It seems pretty simple to me.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts