WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
..is a simple three hand silver cased keywinder without any technical features. It’s just a beauteous pocket watch with a very well finished and designed movement I fished her during the summer time out of ebay USA. It was one of those watches “for the others” with a better filled porte monae here there's a rustling and does not rattle. I searched just for single movements. Suddenly I saw this in the ebay USA:
haseaußen.jpg

One of the quite rare silver cased ones in a scruffy condition. The savonnette fastener was broken, the original cup fortunately still there but without button, the movement spotted and dirty. But the used case without any dents, no chip on the dial and original hands and case. It was described as: Needs TLC – Runs a short while and stop / free balance. Of course a high risk buy but I saw my chance. The auction runs infinitely long: 6 days. I looked every day and for me surprisingly I was still within my limit. A long night starts with a lot of coffee but at the end I grab this treasure for a very small three figure sum. After a long ride over the ocean, a case repair by a friend I get it today back from my watchmaker. He says: " No critical points, complete wearable and it hold the time perfect." I want to share my great joy. Here the result:

The dustcover:
stauharro.jpg

this watch belongs to a William Fowler. Of course I asked aunty google but I couldn't find a matching person. William Fowler the golfer who construct the "Fowler graves" lived in the right area but as a english gentleman from a wealthy home I guess this watch don't match. William Fowler the big physicist match better but the wrong aera. This watch is build around 1870. Therefore just a William Fowler who share my taste.

The very very nice face with lovely two coloured hands:

Blatt.jpg

The movement : b-) For your own safety please put the sunglasses on !!! b-)

movementchas.jpg
4.jpg

For the movement affine a picture made by my watchmaker (before cleaning) of the plain and very well done dialside:

25688ZBSeite.jpg

For me, an incredible piece made by Charles Eduard Jacot and the designer Alfred Girard and for others only an old pocket watch. I would like to see other "catches of the year" to refect all the color and diversity which excist here in the WUS F11.

Regards Silke

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
That is an awesome catch Silke,congrats!
The movement is like Antique science fiction or something,straight out of "Lord of the Rings" if you get my drift.
My best purchase for 2015 was a dial for my Great Grandfathers pocket watch....
ggw2.jpg
what a buzz.
cheers,

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Hi SilkeN,

Nice pick up and that effulgent movement...wow.

For me 2015 was a good year mostly with a few notable finds, a very crisp Smiths deluxe at a bargain price, the finding of a Pulsar P3 (slight grail) and a couple of others that are with my watchmaker that I am desperate to share with you...but will have to wait.

I was really happy with this GP. Cal 352. The dial itself is very uncommon although Cal 352's are not, however they do take their own place in the story of the wristwatch.

I haven't bought a thing this year (I know its only January) as I'm saving for something special.

Regards,

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
That is definitely very personal and must be a good feeling. A hard search of a rare dial and ´definitely a gread find :).
That summed it up very nicely ,thank you.

·
Registered
994 Posts
That is a beautiful movement, very unusual treatment to the bridges, congratulations Silke!

I recently got a lot of 7 watches, all with swinging balances and all repairable, some easily some not :)
(2 silver English fusees, 2 going barrel english silver watches, one silver swiss watch, one slim swiss watch with a beautiful dial and one car clock) I am very very pleased with these.

But the watch of the year has got to be this one :)

Kind regards

Aditya

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow James this is really an interesting dial I've never seen before and to know that a high quality movement works inside is always a wonderful feeling. We are all a little bit vintage and we like it a little bid different and unique.

Nice pocket watch collection and to get one of those running again is a unpayable feeling. Unfortunately I'd to give the most of my watches to my wathmaker and only clean "normal" watches. I understand that you love your Seiko build for Lord Marvel ? I'm not sure about it. I read sometimes anywhere something that this was a real person but I'm not sure about it. Please help.

Of ourse split I can't see enough of this movement myself *smile*,. I'd wear this over 150 years old watch the hole day at work and it keeps the time perfect. It's a very case made of thick silver (52,2 mm in diameter, 1,52 high 128g complete), I love the hands and the elegant dial. Never looked as often on the watch as today without any reason :).

3.jpg

1.jpg

Regards Silke and thank you all for the interesting personal insights

·
Registered
994 Posts
Nice pocket watch collection and to get one of those running again is a unpayable feeling. Unfortunately I'd to give the most of my watches to my wathmaker and only clean "normal" watches. I understand that you love your Seiko build for Lord Marvel ? I'm not sure about it. I read sometimes anywhere something that this was a real person but I'm not sure about it. Please help.
Ha, ha :) The only reason I buy these is because I can fix them myself, or at least I think I can.

The Seiko Lord Marvel was not made for 'Lord Marvel'. Seiko had a line of watches called Marvel in the 1960s. There were quite a few variants. 'Gyromarvel', for example, was the automatic version of the Marvel. 'Lord Marvels' were the very best of the Marvels. My version beats at 36000 bph, which is why I bought it. This means that the seconds hand moves 10 times per second, very smooth.

Kind regards

Aditya

·
Banned
4,045 Posts
You clever woman, and lucky girl!

Congratulations on acquiring such a breathtaking piece. It must be like opening an old oyster and seeing a pearl inside.

Regards, Bob.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts