WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello fellow Omega fans! I have been looking for a Speedmaster for a while, particularly a birth year model. I guess I must be a vintage model myself, because that meant I needed a vintage Speedy! :)

Looking at the models from that era I was attracted to the 105.012-65, as it maximised the association with the space program. Quoting the late Mr Maddox:

"The majority of Speedmasters NASA acquired were 105.012s.."

"
We can confirm that at least three different Speedmaster case references made it to the moon (along with a Waltham Chrono- graph). While we can exclude any models made after 1972, we can’t confirm or repudiate other models made before then. The models we can confirm are 105.003, 105.012 and 145.012."

And we know that Neil Armstrong's Speedmaster was a 105.012-65, NASA #46 with movement number 24002981. Buzz Aldrin's was NASA #43, but it has been lost and so we cannot confirm the model, other than it was a calibre 321 based Speedmaster. Given the closeness in NASA batch number to Neil's Speedmaster, and given that the majority of the 97 Speedmasters purchased by NASA for Gemini/Apollo were 105.012's, then it seems quite possible that Buzz's watch was also a 105.012(?).

Gordon's NASA #57 on Apollo 12 is also a 105.012 and I have a picture of Ron Evan's NASA #61 105.012 from the final mission, Apollo 17. Both of these 105.012s have the "Professional" label.

You can imagine my delight when I stumbled across a completely original S105.012-65, with original "Made in Switzerland" box and papers. When I looked at the original purchase date on the papers I was stunned to see that it was within a few days of my birth! And opening up the watch revealed that it has a movement number very close to Neil's Speedmaster!

It has the proper 1506 bracelet, and all parts seem to display equal ageing and patina of wear. Here are a couple of pic's, taken with my iPhone, hope you like them:

I think this one is going to be with me for a long time...

·
Premium Member
13,242 Posts
congrats on your purchase:-!

·
Registered
592 Posts
MH434, Congrats on the Speedy grail! That's one nice looking vintage piece and a definite keeper. I'm sure it'll come in handy for flight planning, etc. ;-)

·
Registered
832 Posts
Congrats, that is simply stunning!!!

Nick.

·
Registered
403 Posts

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
I'm almost as happy as a pilot sitting in the cockpit of a Spitfire!
NO watch ever will equate to that happiness!!

cheers.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
NO watch ever will equate to that happiness!!

cheers.
Spit161, you are very correct, such a moment would bring tears to the eyes of any pilot... my Speedy is hopefully a small achievable joy and especially that I can share this moment with all the very kind people like you on this forum.

·
Registered
10,557 Posts
congrats on a great find being so near to your birth year. these are great looking time pieces to own, a true classic. enjoy it

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Nice find! Congrats on a GORGEOUS watch!

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks everyone for your lovely words.

Just found an interesting link to the auction of a 'flown' S105.012-65: Donn Eisele's NASA #38 with movement 24002987.

Lot 107: Omega , A Rare and Important Stainless Steel Chronograph Wristwatch with Registers and Tachometer Flown on Apollo VII by Astronaut Donn F. Eisele Speedmaster Professional, Circa 1965, Movement 24002987, Ref. S105.012-65, NASA Serial No. - So

With #38 and #46 bracketing Buzz's #43, it in my mind makes it even more probable that Buzz's #43 was also an S105.012-65. I wonder what #38 sold for at auction? A quote from the auction description:

"Eisele was very fond of this watch and wore it long after the Apollo mission. This model, Ref. 105.012, was in production for only a few months in late 1965."

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Very nice! And very nice photos! I remember how excited I was to get my own pre-moon, which I'm coincidentally wearing today.

I'm not sure that there's any truly reliable information on which model Aldrin's Apollo XI watch was, but I want to point out that Maddox actually suggested in several instances that he believed it was a 145.012 based on correspondence with John Diethelm of Omega Vintage Information: From Chuck's e-Mailbox #3: Meet Gino B & his Omega Collection

But this information has been questioned by various other people, including, I believe, Fr. John.

I wonder what #38 sold for at auction?
Looks like $205,000:
https://www.watchuseek.com/f80/donn...er-s-n-38-sold-sothebys-$205-000-a-68918.html

More information:
Eisele's Speedmasters at Sotheby's - collectSPACE: Messages

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks ASRSPR and thanks for the information. Very interesting, the price on that flown Speedy is I guess not too surprising. The rest of us can at least strive for the next best thing, a Speedmaster calibre 321 like the 105.012...

Any pics of your pre-moon to share?

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Eisele was CM pilot for Apollo VII, so while the price reflects that of a flown Speedmaster, it is for one that never actually left Earth orbit. I can't imagine how much higher the bidding would have gone with an Apollo XI+ flown Speedmaster, especially a lunar surface watch (which I'm sure NASA wouldn't ever allow).

We do actually have one additional data point: Ronald Evans's Apollo 17 flown 145.022 Speedmaster was sold at auction for $22K a few years ago. But Evans was also a CMP, so the watch "merely" orbited the moon. And it wasn't the watch he wore, but the one lashed onto the Heat Flow and Convection Experiment he performed while Schmidt and Cernan were walking around downstairs. A smaller auction house too, with less publicity; I think that if it were more well-known, there's not just a few people on this forum that would have put in a bid at 22K, even with the stipulations.

Any pics of your pre-moon to share?
Why yes I do! Flickr: Malenkov in Exile's stuff tagged with speedmaster

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the pic and info ASRSPR.

A beautiful photo of a beautiful watch! Could you tell me what bracelet you have on it?

A 10-fold difference in price between Evans and Eisele's watch does seem quite a jump!

Cheers

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
It's an earlier 1171-1 with 633 ends, so not period-accurate for a Pre-moon Speedy; it came with the watch and I'm honestly not impressed at all with these vintage design bracelets. While the look is great for photos, I'm hesitant to trust my watch to it. I usually wear that watch on alligator or mesh.

How do you like that 1506?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts