WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It never ceases to amaze me how anyone can spend 2 grand on a suit or designer outfit to "look sharp", then top it all off with a disposable, plastic, digital Timex or Casio that's worth less than the change in their pocket. Deduct even more points if it has a built in calculator or is set to beep obnoxiously every hour.

My ultimate goal is to go all day without spotting a digital watch of any kind, but I won't hold my breath. But, as sure as I'm sitting here, somebody will beep at the top of the hour just to announce themselves "loud and proud" while dressed to the nines, spending twice as much on lunch as on their timepiece. The worst are those that "alarm" everybody at set intervals, letting them rip on for an entire minute of screeching audial hell straight from the bowels of China.

"But I have a Dream...."Have a great weekend everyone!

·
Registered
6,855 Posts
Whoa Dude..., Chill out (get back on your meds)!

Hope this makes you feel better and at home.

I think this should be the place we ALL post pix of our digitals...

·
Registered
4,427 Posts

I guess I can sort-of agree about the hourly chime, but really: at most they beep for 15-20 seconds, and it hppens so rarely, it's a non-issue. As for what watch someone wears with what suit....who cares?

~Sherry.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Now I wish I still had that calculator watch from when I was ten. I could probably find one on ebay for 10-15 bucks, eh?

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
Now I wish I still had that calculator watch from when I was ten. I could probably find one on ebay for 10-15 bucks, eh?
I paid $15.95 for the black Casio in my post above...brand new... a couple of years ago. They're still a current model.

~Sherry.

Reactions: OSUMBA2003

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
[h=5] Deduct even more points if it has a built in calculator or is set to beep obnoxiously every hour.
The worst are those that "alarm" everybody at set intervals, letting them rip on for an entire minute of screeching audial hell straight from the bowels of China.
And I thought the only advantage to losing my hearing was having an excuse for missing my wife's 'instructions'.

·
Registered
9,883 Posts

My ultimate goal is to go all day without spotting a digital watch of any kind, but I won't hold my breath.
Be at the Geneve Palexpo, in of all places Geneve Switzerland at 8:30 AM on January 20th, say you are Frank Furlan and collect his badge, they would probably recognize Nick Hayek Jr. This may be the best chance in your lifetime, though not likely. Or in the alternative you could just forgo holding your breath and simply close your eyes, mission accomplished.

Reactions: germanshepherd72

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think you need to reconsider your goals, my friend.
No Ben, I'm personally tired of seeing society buy hoards of Chinese made trash, throw it in a landfill when through with it, then turn right around and incessantly ..... about the current state of our environment, economy, and lack of jobs. Buy something of quality and take care of it for a lifetime - such as a watch that you can pass down to the next generation, then the next. There may be those who disagree with me, and I really could care less. But I'd like to think that we can all respect each other's opinions irregardless. To anyone going as far as to say that I need to get on meds, "if you spot it, you got it, my friend." If this pisses anyone else off, flame away if it makes you feel any better. It's much better to be happy than to have to be "right." Enjoy whatever watches turn you on. To each his own.

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
...... It's much better to be happy than to have to be "right." Enjoy whatever watches turn you on. To each his own.
Exactly. Exactly true of the guy or gal in a $2000 suit wearing a cheap digital. ;) So why this?

It never ceases to amaze me how anyone can spend 2 grand on a suit or designer outfit to "look sharp", then top it all off with a disposable, plastic, digital Timex or Casio that's worth less than the change in their pocket. Deduct even more points if it has a built in calculator or is set to beep obnoxiously every hour.
My ultimate goal is to go all day without spotting a digital watch of any kind, but I won't hold my breath.
:-s

·
Registered
626 Posts

My ultimate goal is to go all day without spotting a digital watch of any kind, but I won't hold my breath. But, as sure as I'm sitting here, somebody will beep at the top of the hour just to announce themselves "loud and proud" while dressed to the nines, spending twice as much on lunch as on their timepiece. The worst are those that "alarm" everybody at set intervals, letting them rip on for an entire minute of screeching audial hell straight from the bowels of China.

"But I have a Dream...."

Have a great weekend everyone!
You're positive these watches that so annoy you are set to beep at the hour just because their owners love an auditory remember of the hour? In my office, there are exactly two people that use digital alarm watches, and they both use them to remind them to take medication at certain times - the kind of medication that you die if you don't take…

My partner also uses a digital pebble watch so that she can receive notifications from her phone while it's in her purse (where it basically lives, since apparently there's some rule that women's suits can't have pockets…)

These both strike me as imminently practical digital watch use cases that your elegant, expensive mechanical cannot serve, regardless of how much you've spent on it.

I guess it just strikes me as pretty arrogant to look down on people for having the "wrong" watch - especially when they appear to be using them more for utility, while you're using yours more for looks…

·
Registered
17,054 Posts
The posting of digitals after the OP's heartfelt rant is quite amusing - thanks for the laughs people :)

OP - at first I thought you weren't disagreeing with digitals per se - just with their pairing with couture, but it seems that you disagree with them entirely which is fine, but you should know that their functionality, ruggedness and affordability make them quite an attractive proposal. I'm not a fan myself, but if I ever get into extreme sports then an ABC g-shock would be useful. I won't even go into the inaccuracy, delicacy and expense of servicing mechanicals. If the 72 in your screen name denotes your year of birth then you predate the quartz crisis (as the industry calls it) so I can understand your reluctance to accept the technology - old dogs/new tricks and all that.

As for their pairing with an expensive suit I did myself have a rant the other day when popular men's mag FHM recommended an outfit consisting of something like a 400 quid pair of jeans, 90 quid t-shirt, 150 quid hat, 200 quid wallet and 300 quid quartz fashion brand watch. Nothing wrong with the latter of course but a relatively inexpensive casual watch is not in keeping with a relatively expensive smart outfit - I do agree.

So...I can see your point about the odd pairing, and whilst I suspect your bark is worse than your bite you should relax a bit, and you do need to roll over on a few points re their practicality.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts