WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to say off the bat that I am new to this site, so, if I am posting this in the wrong forum, I apologize. Regardless, I recently purchased a pocket-watch online and it came in today. When I took it out I ended up accidentally starting it. I tried to figure out how to stop it ( I figured that I should be able to by pulling the crown, as in a regular watch), and it did just that but the second hand kept moving. I spent 10 more minutes trying to figure it out. But I gave up and soon decided I might as well adjust the pocketwatch's time to the correct time. This time, however, I have no idea why, but the time wouldn't adjust when I was twisting it. So, I carefully pulled a bit more. But I kept on finding that the time wouldn't adjust anymore for some reason and noticed the crown was reacting differently and I soon noticed it was pulled off. I can easily put it back in but it still remains loose and will fall out easily, but still somehow managed to open the pocket watch when I press the crown still.

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
Do you have a picture of the watch in question or can tell us who made it and model?

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
New watch? Antique watch? Hunter? Open faced? We need a lot more details. And photos.

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
Could be a 'pin-set', that is to say you have to push in a button on the side (near the crown) before you can set the watch. Useless to speculate without an image of the watch (and of the movement in case some info is needed from inside). There could also me a lever on they side etc. etc.

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
but still somehow managed to open the pocket watch when I press the crown still.
Hunting case.

and it did just that but the second hand kept moving.
Mechanical.

This time, however, I have no idea why, but the time wouldn't adjust when I was twisting it.
Lever set. (I have had watches where the crown will come to the usual setting position but that is based on case design and not the movement). Pin set is still possible too but we know it is not a standard pendant set.

I can easily put it back in but it still remains loose and will fall out easily
Stem pulled out of the sleeve. Possible split sleeve. Other possibility is that it is a modern mechanical and it had a bad keyless works to begin with and now it has the stem pulled out and the detent is broke, bent, or something.

End analysis.... Take it to a watchmaker. You will not be able to fix it yourself.

·
Registered
43 Posts
If it were me I'd send that straight back to Gotham Watch Company. Took me 3 minutes to find their site, and the guy who runs it.
Dave Robbins.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts