Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

This is just a rant. My mom said to me 30 minutes ago that she wanted to buy a watch for each of my grandpa's. Big problem - her flight to china is monday 6/24 morning. I wish she told me a few days ago because I could have easily gotten one on jomashop no problem whatsoever. But since that's not even possible anymore, I am stuck with Macy's and Tourneau. She is thinking of Tissot because that's a very well respected brand in China. I looked up the tissot AD's in my area and Macy's and Tourneau are the only two. So we will be going to the Garden state plaza in Paramus, NJ. The only good thing about this whole experience is that Macy's and Tourneau are in the same mall. And I'm definitely not going into the NYC Tourneau store. We don't want to deal with the traffic.

I do plan on looking at a few pre-owned rolex air kings. Maybe that will be the one redeeming factor of this entire situation. I HATE going to macy's and tourneau because thats where all the suckers go. Macy's stuff is garbage. The only time I've been to tourneau was on their website but I pass by the NYC store on the way to work and it's NICE. Oh well, full retail here we come......

I'll be wearing my hamilton jazzmaster viewmatic with shorts and a tshirt. I hope they will let me in the way I'll be dressed. Any tips or advice on how to be efficient at tourneau? I don't plan on haggling but I've done a forum search and I'll be trying to use the 10% off your next purchase thing. If Macy's and tourneau are the same price for the watches, I'm 100% going to tourneau. I'm getting fleeced either way so I'd rather have a tourneau bag than a macy's one :)

I need to spend $2k in 3 months for my amex gold card anyways so whatever. It is what it is. Maybe I'll take a look at PP's and JLC's while I'm there hmmm :)

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Macy's has a solid collection of good watches. Seiko, Victorinox, Hamilton, Tissot and a host of others. Its an AD for them. If you can't find anything there, I doubt you will anywhere.

Safe travels for your mother.

·
Registered
14,906 Posts
I'm one of those suckers that patronize Tourneau willingly/happily. Hope you can find something that ticks all boxes, including price ;-) . . . .

·
Registered
1,941 Posts

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
You could always just have your mother buy them a beautiful Beijing Behai when she arrives in Hong Kong/Shanghai/Beijing... But that probably doesn't drop a sexy enough name to impress in materialistic China...

DSC_7019.jpg DSC_7039-1.jpg

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hi,
I need to spend $2k in 3 months for my amex gold card anyways so whatever.
What exactly does that mean?

What is this rant ranting about?

·
Registered
71 Posts
I need to spend $2k in 3 months for my amex gold card anyways so whatever. It is what it is. Maybe I'll take a look at PP's and JLC's while I'm there hmmm :)

I believe it's to transfer his credit card points from another card. I've been in a similar situation when switching cards, the new card company would only transfer all my points if I spent a certain amount within the first few months. It's a good choice to make if you have a significant amount of points racked up with the old card.

For example: You have $1,500 worth of points on your old card, but need to spend $2,000 on the new one to transfer, not worth it. You have $50,000 worth of points on your new card, need to spend $2,000 on the new one to transfer, worth it.

As for the rest of his ranting...no idea.

·
Registered
65 Posts

From what I can gather it seems to be more about his humility than an actual watch purchase. I'm not very bright but I think what he's saying is he's a rich kid in a nice neighborhood with a lot of disposable income that equates watch shopping at Macy's to what me & you may feel if we were to go to Walmart looking for Swiss made automatics.

Reactions: portauto

·
Registered
13,837 Posts
As the Founder and President of the Soft Rant Society, I know a rant when I see one.
And this ain't no "rant." It's a whine.
No soup for you, young man.

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
Didn't have time to read his whole post, but I'm not sure why everybody's being so hard on the kid. No man's land can be a pretty hellacious place:

No-man's-land-flanders-field.jpg

I feel bad his parents' procrastination landed him there. Futuregopher: Keep your head down and listen to the more experienced soldiers - you may just get through this terrible ordeal. Sigh...It will be a great day indeed when watch owners get all the money they need and the Pentagon has to sell bombers on WUS' sales forum.

·
Registered
23,771 Posts

Reactions: ljb187
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.