WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I thought it would be “fun” (read: torture) to post about the progress in my quest for a Sub Date/126610LN. Let’s put those good vibes into the universe and hope for something in return. It worked pretty well for a watch buddy of mine a few months ago. If it ends in a big, fat L then so be it. That’s life.

He made up his mind and went to see several local ADs to put his name down. I followed his lead back in March and went to the same store he got his watch from.

Very pleasant staff and they remembered him well – his friendly demeanor and excitement had a big part to play in his success, I think. I was given the usual story: Oh, it’s an in-demand model, it could take a while. Yes, well understood. I actually told them that I’d be really interested in a few months from that time, both to let them know I’m patient and won’t pester them, and also to let them know that I’m looking at the long term, as they should be as a reseller. Usually if you treat your customers well, they come back. I put my name down and left.

Fast forward to two weeks ago. My immediate manager and the branch manager pulled me into a meeting to let me know I’m being promoted to the Business Development side of the company. I have been in the operations side for 10 years here, and I manage a small team of 8. The new role will combine some of my current non-operations duties with new client-facing duties and it’s a very exciting new opportunity. So now, let’s really go for that Rolex to mark this occasion. I’ve waited for this opportunity for several years and have mentioned it each time we had our yearly reviews that I’d like to move to the next level and try new things. Now here we are.

Earlier today during lunch, I decided to go back to the AD to let them know that I’m ready when they are and to let them know how excited I would be to time my Rolex purchase with the start of the new position. She remembered me, which is a good sign considering I was there for all of five minutes last time, but that’s when the good vibes were shot down. I told her about the new development and she was happy for me and would love to put this watch on my wrist, but then went into the “list” story and told me many people are waiting for this model, it will likely take quite a while. Well understood, again.

In March, the feeling was that this could happen within a couple of months, I was in no major rush at that time, but now after this visit, it feels more like an uphill battle. If there is a list now, there must have been one back when my buddy got his watch, yet the list was ignored to get him his watch (without purchase history with them). So is this a new list? In which case, I should be right at the top since three months have passed and now suddenly it seems like a longer wait. Why were those other people pushed aside back then but now there is a “long wait”? It doesn’t make sense, and it re-affirms that the AD will pick and choose who they sell to and “lists” or whoever is 1, 2, or 3 on any database, means exactly nothing.

So, I did the legwork with this AD. I showed up in my work attire, fancy shoes, belt, Omega Speedy Pro and a smile on my face. At least they won’t dismiss me for wearing a (gasp) G-Shock. Or will they? Maybe they secretly love G-Shocks. Maybe I should have Schwarzkopf’d it. Rats!

But that’s it. Two visits, put my name and number down both times. Talked to same friendly sales rep. They call, or they don’t. I’m not going back there to “check in” again. I’m patient, but only to a degree. My “want” of this watch is pretty big, and it’s the only watch I actually am interested in now, but I’m not going to be sucking up to them. If you want my $10k, you have to do little bit on your end too. I’ll give them a bit of time and then start looking at other ADs.

Wish me luck! It seems like I will need it.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Have you considered gray market? You pay more but Subs appreciate anyway if you go to sell it down the line. People say it’s a rip off to go gray. Why? An item is worth what people are willing to pay and people are paying oodles for them. If you truly want one, they’re available. Good luck

·
Premium Member
5,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you considered gray market? You pay more but Subs appreciate anyway if you go to sell it down the line. People say it’s a rip off to go gray. Why? An item is worth what people are willing to pay and people are paying oodles for them. If you truly want one, they’re available. Good luck
No I’m not considering GM. AD or no sale :) Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,799 Posts
I thought it would be “fun” (read: torture) to post about the progress in my quest for a Sub Date/126610LN. Let’s put those good vibes into the universe and hope for something in return. It worked pretty well for a watch buddy of mine a few months ago. If it ends in a big, fat L then so be it. That’s life.

He made up his mind and went to see several local ADs to put his name down. I followed his lead back in March and went to the same store he got his watch from.

Very pleasant staff and they remembered him well – his friendly demeanor and excitement had a big part to play in his success, I think. I was given the usual story: Oh, it’s an in-demand model, it could take a while. Yes, well understood. I actually told them that I’d be really interested in a few months from that time, both to let them know I’m patient and won’t pester them, and also to let them know that I’m looking at the long term, as they should be as a reseller. Usually if you treat your customers well, they come back. I put my name down and left.

Fast forward to two weeks ago. My immediate manager and the branch manager pulled me into a meeting to let me know I’m being promoted to the Business Development side of the company. I have been in the operations side for 10 years here, and I manage a small team of 8. The new role will combine some of my current non-operations duties with new client-facing duties and it’s a very exciting new opportunity. So now, let’s really go for that Rolex to mark this occasion. I’ve waited for this opportunity for several years and have mentioned it each time we had our yearly reviews that I’d like to move to the next level and try new things. Now here we are.

Earlier today during lunch, I decided to go back to the AD to let them know that I’m ready when they are and to let them know how excited I would be to time my Rolex purchase with the start of the new position. She remembered me, which is a good sign considering I was there for all of five minutes last time, but that’s when the good vibes were shot down. I told her about the new development and she was happy for me and would love to put this watch on my wrist, but then went into the “list” story and told me many people are waiting for this model, it will likely take quite a while. Well understood, again.

In March, the feeling was that this could happen within a couple of months, I was in no major rush at that time, but now after this visit, it feels more like an uphill battle. If there is a list now, there must have been one back when my buddy got his watch, yet the list was ignored to get him his watch (without purchase history with them). So is this a new list? In which case, I should be right at the top since three months have passed and now suddenly it seems like a longer wait. Why were those other people pushed aside back then but now there is a “long wait”? It doesn’t make sense, and it re-affirms that the AD will pick and choose who they sell to and “lists” or whoever is 1, 2, or 3 on any database, means exactly nothing.

So, I did the legwork with this AD. I showed up in my work attire, fancy shoes, belt, Omega Speedy Pro and a smile on my face. At least they won’t dismiss me for wearing a (gasp) G-Shock. Or will they? Maybe they secretly love G-Shocks. Maybe I should have Schwarzkopf’d it. Rats!

But that’s it. Two visits, put my name and number down both times. Talked to same friendly sales rep. They call, or they don’t. I’m not going back there to “check in” again. I’m patient, but only to a degree. My “want” of this watch is pretty big, and it’s the only watch I actually am interested in now, but I’m not going to be sucking up to them. If you want my $10k, you have to do little bit on your end too. I’ll give them a bit of time and then start looking at other ADs.

Wish me luck! It seems like I will need it.
The regular Sub isn't an unattainable watch. It will take time, but you will get the call. I would, however, see if you can get on a list at multiple places, especially if you have even the slightest thought you are being jerked around.

I was told I was #1 on the waiting list for the z-blue Milgauss from my local AD. Its been 6 months now. I had to expand my search because while I felt good about getting it from them the first couple months, now I feel less so.

Thankfully my last purchase makes it so I'm not so anxious to get the call. If it comes it comes.

·
Registered
Rolex, GS, Seiko, Tag Heuer, Omega, Nomos
257 Posts
right or wrong, my AD made it pretty clear that I don't spend enough in their store to get any sort of priority. I suppose I should appreciate the transparrency. SMH

·
Premium Member
5,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did you try spending $10k+ on jewelry or undesirable watches before trying to buy the Sub? Because unfortunately, ADs usually care a lot more about that than how you're dressed. Sucks that that's how it works, but it is.
LOL yeah that’s tongue in cheek, referencing some recent posts about how to dress at an AD. :) I’m not getting into that nonsense.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My local AD wouldn’t give me response except “sorry we have none in stock.” That is, or course, I dropped a few grand on some jewelry for my wife. After that, I was at least offered the chance to try some on, and watched as he actually put my name down on a waiting list. Best of luck to you...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Breitling, Cartier, Rolex (x2), Seiko, Sinn, Tissot (x3)
271 Posts
Bide your time. The wait is worth it if it is the watch you want. It's no effort to go, check and see what's going on. If it isn't worth the wait, move on.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Good luck and keep us posted!

Back in 2019, I went on a similar quest for a 116610. I stopped at around a dozen different ADs in my region and only one called me back without any prior purchase history. The market is even worse right now but in my opinion it will loosen up eventually.

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
You will get it, 100%, and I look forward to the day you do. 🍻🍻

Reactions: Snyder2185 and jkpa

·
Registered
Seikosha
992 Posts
Buy grey, sell the one you get from AD, if you ever get it.

Wasting your own time waiting.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I'm looking for a Sub as well. I've put my name down with 3 ADs with no previous history, I'm not expecting much. I check in on one of them only because they are located in a shopping mall I go to fairly frequently, so I just drop in.

A 4th AD has been weirder. I have purchased 1 Rolex with them recently, my OP36. I expressed my interested in a Sub, and they didn't really put me on a list, the salesperson told me to just call once in a while (in the mornings when they open) because sometimes they will get them in and just sell it to whoever asks for it first that day. Maybe this is some cruel way of giving me hope, but they didn't give me the "don't call us we'll call you" thing the other ADs have. And I've called about 3 times now and the salesperson has not given me the "we don't have that but we do have some TT Datejusts you should come in and try". It's always just been "sorry, we didn't get that in, try calling again next week". So I honestly don't know what to think, but honestly it's like a 5 minute phone call every 2 weeks, so I don't have much to lose.

I'm not really forcing things though. I've given myself until Xmas to try to find one at retail. If not I might consider going grey depending on how badly I want a Sub at that time and how much they are going for. Or I might just move on to another watch. Really not putting too much thought/effort into it.

Reactions: Broke Dad

·
Registered
116 Posts
A 4th AD has been weirder. I have purchased 1 Rolex with them recently, my OP36. I expressed my interested in a Sub, and they didn't really put me on a list, the salesperson told me to just call once in a while (in the mornings when they open) because sometimes they will get them in and just sell it to whoever asks for it first that day.
See, I feel like what your 4th AD told you sounds the most legit to me. Aside from sales associates having regulars they like, or saving them as perks for big fish, I imagine this is exactly what it's like. First come, first serve, random luck.

Let’s put those good vibes into the universe and hope for something in return.
Good luck, man!

·
Premium Member
3,799 Posts
I'm looking for a Sub as well. I've put my name down with 3 ADs with no previous history, I'm not expecting much. I check in on one of them only because they are located in a shopping mall I go to fairly frequently, so I just drop in.

A 4th AD has been weirder. I have purchased 1 Rolex with them recently, my OP36. I expressed my interested in a Sub, and they didn't really put me on a list, the salesperson told me to just call once in a while (in the mornings when they open) because sometimes they will get them in and just sell it to whoever asks for it first that day. Maybe this is some cruel way of giving me hope, but they didn't give me the "don't call us we'll call you" thing the other ADs have. And I've called about 3 times now and the salesperson has not given me the "we don't have that but we do have some TT Datejusts you should come in and try". It's always just been "sorry, we didn't get that in, try calling again next week". So I honestly don't know what to think, but honestly it's like a 5 minute phone call every 2 weeks, so I don't have much to lose.

I'm not really forcing things though. I've given myself until Xmas to try to find one at retail. If not I might consider going grey depending on how badly I want a Sub at that time and how much they are going for. Or I might just move on to another watch. Really not putting too much thought/effort into it.
I actually was trying to get on a list for the new green Motif 36mm Datejust. I was talking to an AD and she looked at the Snowflake on my wrist and said, you don't need to get on a list, no one has asked for one yet, but I really think it would be too small for you so I wouldn't recommend it.

Here is a lady that truly cares about her customers. She threw away a sale for a product no one was showing her interest for cause she didn't think it'd be a good fit for me. She DID say if I wanted it just want to get it because it won't be around for long and it will go up in value, then yeah. I was like, nope, only want watches I would wear and keep. I did NOT put my name on a list for that and took myself off another list for it at another AD.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I actually was trying to get on a list for the new green Motif 36mm Datejust. I was talking to an AD and she looked at the Snowflake on my wrist and said, you don't need to get on a list, no one has asked for one yet, but I really think it would be too small for you so I wouldn't recommend it.

Here is a lady that truly cares about her customers. She threw away a sale for a product no one was showing her interest for cause she didn't think it'd be a good fit for me. She DID say if I wanted it just want to get it because it won't be around for long and it will go up in value, then yeah. I was like, nope, only want watches I would wear and keep. I did NOT put my name on a list for that and took myself off another list for it at another AD.
Have you never tried on a 36mm oyster case? Unless you have an exceptionally large wrist (8” plus) the 36mm is a great low key smaller sport watch/medium to larger sized dress watch option and the fluted bezel makes it wear even slightly larger. I would think if you liked the look of it from renders you should at least try it on before dismissing it, especially doing so from one person (who isn’t you) saying it’s too small for you.

If the 36 DateJust is too small for you, then it was too small for every similar sized person as you from 1945 all the way up until the DateJust II was introduced 64 years later in 2009. That’s a whole lot of people the original DateJust was entirely wrong for according to one SA. If you originally liked the watch, the least you can do is actually try on a similar model before one person’s opinion turns you off of it for good.

·
Premium Member
3,799 Posts
Have you never tried on a 36mm oyster case? Unless you have an exceptionally large wrist (8” plus) the 36mm is a great low key smaller sport watch/medium to larger sized dress watch option and the fluted bezel makes it wear even slightly larger. I would think if you liked the look of it from renders you should at least try it on before dismissing it, especially doing so from one person (who isn’t you) saying it’s too small for you.

If the 36 DateJust is too small for you, then it was too small for every similar sized person as you from 1945 all the way up until the DateJust II was introduced 64 years later in 2009. That’s a whole lot of people the original DateJust was entirely wrong for according to one SA. If you originally liked the watch, the least you can do is actually try on a similar model before one person’s opinion turns you off of it for good.
You make a good point, my actual point though was this: She seemed to be actually interested in doing right by her customer as opposed to just making the sale.

And no, I haven't tried on a 36mm. I have a 38mm and it's as small as I want to go. I was thinking of making an exception cause I liked the weird dial. In reality, I feel I am getting close to completing my pre-retirement collection. Have about four watches on my radar, and will likely only end up with, at most, three (and likely only two). The green motif datejust wouldn't have ended up working for me. So whether she was right or wrong to advise me the way she did, I think it worked out. I ordered the Omega AT World Timer like two weeks later ;)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts