WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
  • Hello WatchUSeek! We are hosting an Ask Me Anything with Ian Schon of Schon Horology and Schon DSNG beginning on Tuesday, February 23rd at Noon, EST and closing on Thursday, February 25th at Noon EST. If you don't know of him, Ian is a desginer maker and was a senior product designer at IDEO. He is an engineer, designer and machinist who manufacturers his own watches, and also pens! If you've ever wanted to ask a question directly to a one-man watch maker, don't miss out! You can find the AMA here.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my honest review of this watch, i recieved it last night...

http://www.amazon.com/Casio-G-Shock...=sr_1_2/104-6121019-3875147?ie=UTF8&s=jewelry

Ill start with the CONS....

-This watch, although there is an ALL BLACK version, the MTG-910-DA-1, is still pretty much all black despite the fact that the metal color outside the screen looks more greyish or gun-metalish. Thats not really a CON, but i would have liked there to be more color tone difference.

-The buttons on the side are kinda small and more difficult to press then most other watches. Not a big deal though. The LED button is the chrome button that has the "G" on the face of the watch.

-Youll have to adjust the metal band. No one has a wrist that big. Youll have to buy a really tiny screw driver.

-The LED light is a normal 'green'. i wish it were electric blue though.

PROS....

-Watch looks cool

-Metal band and buckle look high tech and expensive

-Atomic time keeping working automatically, i didnt even have to set it.

-Its really not that bulky

-its now only 85 bucks on Amazon. I ordered last week when it was 91 bucks. its cheap for such a quality watch. I wouldnt have bought anything else.

but beware. this watch is alot "blacker" then it actually looks. It almost looks all black.

·
Registered
8,522 Posts
hi,

nice although short review. on the contra side I would say it's a shame that this one lacks a countdowntimer, which makes the watch uninteresting to me. but other than that, I would agree that build quality is superb.

regards, holger

·
Registered
233 Posts
This is my honest review of this watch, i recieved it last night...

http://www.amazon.com/Casio-G-Shock...=sr_1_2/104-6121019-3875147?ie=UTF8&s=jewelry

Ill start with the CONS....

-This watch, although there is an ALL BLACK version, the MTG-910-DA-1, is still pretty much all black despite the fact that the metal color outside the screen looks more greyish or gun-metalish. Thats not really a CON, but i would have liked there to be more color tone difference.

-The buttons on the side are kinda small and more difficult to press then most other watches. Not a big deal though. The LED button is the chrome button that has the "G" on the face of the watch.

-Youll have to adjust the metal band. No one has a wrist that big. Youll have to buy a really tiny screw driver.

-The LED light is a normal 'green'. i wish it were electric blue though.

PROS....

-Watch looks cool

-Metal band and buckle look high tech and expensive

-Atomic time keeping working automatically, i didnt even have to set it.

-Its really not that bulky

-its now only 85 bucks on Amazon. I ordered last week when it was 91 bucks. its cheap for such a quality watch. I wouldnt have bought anything else.

but beware. this watch is alot "blacker" then it actually looks. It almost looks all black.
Thanks for the review. Your "cons" would not deter me from this model.

It is customary to have to size a bracelet upon the purchase of a new watch.

A green LED isn't so bad. The price is reasonable. However, this lack of a countdown timer seems to be the G's hallmark. Pity.

·
Registered
379 Posts
WHERE can I get one in the UK? Europe? any help greatly appreciated lads!
I would love to get this and then move onto the more high-end MR-Gs.
cheers
Ray:-!

·
Registered
68 Posts
This is available in the UK as the silver MTG930. As you are in Birmingham I suggest a branch of H.Samuel in the Bull Ring. Right now it is on offer for £79.99.

·
Registered
379 Posts
This is available in the UK as the silver MTG930. As you are in Birmingham I suggest a branch of H.Samuel in the Bull Ring. Right now it is on offer for £79.99.
I am actually looking for the all black model...I have way too many silver watches. hehe.
but I will scope Samuels as well just to have a gander. Thanks again mate ;-)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, i just figured out how to adjust the metal band. Its really easy.

On the inside of the metal band(the side that presses against your wrist), there is arrows pointing towards the direction in which you need to push these little pin/springy things. To push those, you need a small flat head tool. One by one, you go removing each metal link.

·
G-Shock Mod
14,195 Posts
great, just what i needed

actually, does the metal 3 eye rings, and metal EL button too shiny/blingy? cause i like the steathy look

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
great, just what i needed

actually, does the metal 3 eye rings, and metal EL button too shiny/blingy? cause i like the steathy look
Not too shiny at all. Definetly a stealth look though.

Another really cool feature that i just figured out about this watch is that.....

Wait for it........

Wait..........

Lets say you have the screen facing up(or in the direction towards the ceiling) and then you turn the watch so its facing the wall or something, the LED automatically lights up.
This is so when you bring you wrist up to look at what time it is, you dont have to press the LED button, its lights up automatically.

·
Registered
29,512 Posts
Lets say you have the screen facing up(or in the direction towards the ceiling) and then you turn the watch so its facing the wall or something, the LED automatically lights up.
This is so when you bring you wrist up to look at what time it is, you dont have to press the LED button, its lights up automatically.
It's called 'Full Auto EL', and it's a common feature in modern G-Shocks. A lot of people turn it off, actually, to avoid it operating when you don't want it to, and draining the battery.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
hi,

nice although short review. on the contra side I would say it's a shame that this one lacks a countdowntimer, which makes the watch uninteresting to me. but other than that, I would agree that build quality is superb.

regards, holger
Appreciate the review wrestlin140. I think cal..45 said it all for me; it's a disappointment for me to see when Casio ignores important features. Stopwatch, alarm and countdown timer are that for me.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i dont see why a countdown timer is so important. big ****in deal.

it has an alarm clock. but i use my cell phone for my alarm

it has a stop watch.

And the battery doesnt drain.

·
Registered
233 Posts
i dont see why a countdown timer is so important. big ****in deal.

it has an alarm clock. but i use my cell phone for my alarm

it has a stop watch.

And the battery doesnt drain.
For a lot people, the lack of a countdown timer is a big deal. Surely, you can see that some people would have a lot of practical day-to-day uses for a countdown timer.

I would bet that the reason many people like digital watches, and Gs in particular, is because of the features and functionality. I lament the absence of a countdown timer on my Gs that lack it. Even some models that have it, limit it to only 60 minutes-- another curious Casio shortcoming.

The fact that battery may not drain and that the watch has a stopwatch strikes me as irrelevant to the criticism of the lack of a countdown timer.

·
Registered
500 Posts
What's more, my Gs that don't have a countdown timer have the silly time bookmark thing where you can press to record a time. To me that is a useless offering and I would vastly prefer the countdown timer. I probably wouldn't use that a ton, but it is actually helpful to me at times.

·
Registered
29,512 Posts
Yep, for me the absence of a countdown timer is a big thing, and a limited 60-minute countdown timer is an irritation.

We would all expect a digital watch to 'count up', as in a stopwatch, so it seems natural that a digital watch should be able to throw itself into reverse and count down. It should be a basic feature common to all G-Shocks.

And so should alarms you can set by date...

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just recently bought the MTG910. I wondered about the lack of the countdown timer as well, and was reading about the time memo feature. I had never heard of that feature before. I decided to get the watch anyway, because when I thought back I couldn't really remember the last time I used the countdown timer on my old watch. I had it for 6 years, and I could only recall maybe once or twice using the timer. On the other hand, I could use the time memo feature all the time. For my work I have to record my time when I go to a customers business. I frequently forget to write down the times when I arrive or leave. The time memo feature could quickly become the most used feature on this watch for me.

·
Registered
283 Posts
For a lot people, the lack of a countdown timer is a big deal. Surely, you can see that some people would have a lot of practical day-to-day uses for a countdown timer.

I would bet that the reason many people like digital watches, and Gs in particular, is because of the features and functionality. I lament the absence of a countdown timer on my Gs that lack it. Even some models that have it, limit it to only 60 minutes-- another curious Casio shortcoming.

The fact that battery may not drain and that the watch has a stopwatch strikes me as irrelevant to the criticism of the lack of a countdown timer.
I agree! Any G I buy has to have a countdown timer or I won't buy it. Merry Xmas and New Years everyone!santasmile

1 - 20 of 25 Posts