WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
Doxa Sub 300T | Tissot T-Race Nicky Hayden '17 | Citizen Nighthawk
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi there Guys. I wanted to share a story with you that kind of let me down on the Omega brand.

Me and my dad are watch enthusiast, but never got to pulling the trigger on a more special piece. This year, my dad retired and I decided to get him a watch to mark the moment. I had 3 on my list: Longines Master Collection Moonphase Chrono, Tudor Black Bay and Omega Seamaster Diver 300m. I decided in the end to go with the more expensive one in Omega. My dad always looked up to the brand as being a symbol of longevity and quality.

I searched around a couple of ADs in Bucharest, Romania and decided to go with the one which, at the time, had the only Omega authorized service in the country. It gave me great confidence to know that, should anything happen, it would be quickly sorted in the local Omega authorized service center. So I pulled the trigger on a 10.30.42.20.06.001. My dad absolutely loved it...I gave it to him on his B'Day and I'll never forget the look in his eyes.

Sadly, only 4 months later the watch stopped working. It would tick away while you wound the watch manually, but it would stop as soon as the you would stop the winding process. I was disappointed but confident that the local service center would take care of it. I took it in and from the start they told me that they were very busy and it might take some time....ok. After 2 weeks had passed and not a single sign from them, I decided to start pushing them on a solution. They told me that they are not authorized to do such a diagnostic on this caliber in the local service. I wish they would have told me that when they boasted about being the only authorized Omega service center in Romania months earlier. Ok then, I gave them the ok to send the watch to Switzerland. It took another week for them to send it. They were very indifferent to the matter and seemed to have 0 interest in solving my problem. Up to this day I did not even get an "I'm sorry for the inconvenience". I decided to write to Omega Customer Care in Switzerland. They were much more cordial and promised that the situation would be solved quick and with me and my dad's satisfaction in mind.

Another week passed and no signs from Switzerland. I did not expect the matter to be solved within a week, but I was expecting at least a time estimate. I wrote to them again and got a reply saying that they are very busy and they are doing anything possible to hurry up the process.

Now, I've been left with a bitter taste in my mouth regarding Omega and their so called local authorized service centers. It seems that nobody along the chain of command has any interest in solving the problem...they are all "very busy". To me, it's especially painful since this was a gift to my dad. Luckily our local laws state that warranty issues must be solved in a reasonable amount of time, but no longer than 15 calendar days. For me it's been 30 and I don't even have an estimate or a reason behind the defect. I'm seriously evaluating my options to use the law in order to give the watch back.

But, what I'm actually trying to say is that I've never imagined that so much amateurism could be shown by such a brand as Omega. They used to sit on a pedestal for me. I've had Tissot watches with minor issues and they solved it in 2-3 days in a local authorized service center, while treating me like a valued customer.

As I write this, I've sent both Omega and my local AD an ultimatum. Omega did not reply yet and my local AD told me via phone that they are waiting for Omega to reply to their request also. So basically, the AD has as much access to Omega as I do. God...so much amateurism!

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Sorry this happened but I think you got unlucky with a watch. It happens. I had a PO that had an issue a few years ago. Its irritating but considering the volume of watches that Omega produce, its going to happen. They resolved it and the watch performed flawlessly after that.

As to the timeline of the repair. Welcome to the world of Swiss watches. Currently most service centres have a turnaround of 6-8 weeks if you're lucky. Covid has messed the entire supply chain up and there's a backlog of repairs. At one point they had to quarantine watches for a few days before they even looked at them. This is not an Omega issue.

My recent customer service experience was when I sent a Breitling in last year and it took about 10 weeks. It arrived with the fault repaired but they had added a new one so back it went. Another 6-8 weeks. No apology or anything. It was my second Breitling and the second watch that had major mechanical issues so based on my experience I would take an Omega over most other brands.

Best of luck resolving this issue.

·
Premium Member
15,706 Posts
Something similar happened to my friend’s blancpain. The service center came through though. Took several months though. Due to the pandemic.

Yours might involve a simple warranty fix. Hopefully

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry this happened but I think you got unlucky with a watch. It happens. I had a PO that had an issue a few years ago. Its irritating but considering the volume of watches that Omega produce, its going to happen. They resolved it and the watch performed flawlessly after that.

As to the timeline of the repair. Welcome to the world of Swiss watches. Currently most service centres have a turnaround of 6-8 weeks if you're lucky. Covid has messed the entire supply chain up and there's a backlog of repairs. At one point they had to quarantine watches for a few days before they even looked at them. This is not an Omega issue.

My recent customer service experience was when I sent a Breitling in last year and it took about 10 weeks. It arrived with the fault repaired but they had added a new one so back it went. Another 6-8 weeks. No apology or anything. It was my second Breitling and the second watch that had major mechanical issues so based on my experience I would take an Omega over most other brands.

Best of luck resolving this issue.
Yes, I'm aware of the fact that some issues might occur and being unlucky is part of life. I was initially disappointed but did not take that much issue with Omega at first. But it took 2 weeks for the local AD and service center to practically say "Yes, the watch does not work" without actually doing any major diagnostics on it. It took them another full week to organize a courier shipment. Physical shipment only took 2 days to get to Switzerland. I'm aware of the fact that issues have popped up due to COVID but I'm at least expecting a time estimate. All I'm getting is basically "Come back later, we're busy" both from the AD and Omega CC in Switzerland and this makes me feel as if they don't really care that much.

If I'd use the same attitude and excuses with my corporate business partners they'd probably politely ask me to leave the building, yet we cut these watchmakers so much slack because they churn out big volumes of watches. Ok...since you sell so many watches and make nice profits from this business, I expect them to have an ever developing service center(s) which could handle the growing number of issues that they can statistically expect. Maybe I'm just upset now, but I don't think that they do deserve any slack for bad customer service, even if everyone is doing it.

·
Registered
627 Posts
If this was a Rolex everyone would be shouting should have bought an Omega!
Just jesting. Sorry to hear this, try not to be to disheartened Omega make fantastic watches and I'm sure all will be resolved. Sometimes this happens but the best things are worth waiting for 👍

·
Registered
143 Posts
Sorry to hear your story.
I’m sure it’s in safe hands in Switzerland and when your father gets it back it’ll be all good.
The long wait is expected unfortunately.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Sorry for the long wait. Had an issue with my SMP, and the local service center had everything ready in a few weeks. Glad it did not have to be sent to Switzerland.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Hi there Guys. I wanted to share a story with you that kind of let me down on the Omega brand.

Me and my dad are watch enthusiast, but never got to pulling the trigger on a more special piece. This year, my dad retired and I decided to get him a watch to mark the moment. I had 3 on my list: Longines Master Collection Moonphase Chrono, Tudor Black Bay and Omega Seamaster Diver 300m. I decided in the end to go with the more expensive one in Omega. My dad always looked up to the brand as being a symbol of longevity and quality.

I searched around a couple of ADs in Bucharest, Romania and decided to go with the one which, at the time, had the only Omega authorized service in the country. It gave me great confidence to know that, should anything happen, it would be quickly sorted in the local Omega authorized service center. So I pulled the trigger on a 10.30.42.20.06.001. My dad absolutely loved it...I gave it to him on his B'Day and I'll never forget the look in his eyes.

Sadly, only 4 months later the watch stopped working. It would tick away while you wound the watch manually, but it would stop as soon as the you would stop the winding process. I was disappointed but confident that the local service center would take care of it. I took it in and from the start they told me that they were very busy and it might take some time....ok. After 2 weeks had passed and not a single sign from them, I decided to start pushing them on a solution. They told me that they are not authorized to do such a diagnostic on this caliber in the local service. I wish they would have told me that when they boasted about being the only authorized Omega service center in Romania months earlier. Ok then, I gave them the ok to send the watch to Switzerland. It took another week for them to send it. They were very indifferent to the matter and seemed to have 0 interest in solving my problem. Up to this day I did not even get an "I'm sorry for the inconvenience". I decided to write to Omega Customer Care in Switzerland. They were much more cordial and promised that the situation would be solved quick and with me and my dad's satisfaction in mind.

Another week passed and no signs from Switzerland. I did not expect the matter to be solved within a week, but I was expecting at least a time estimate. I wrote to them again and got a reply saying that they are very busy and they are doing anything possible to hurry up the process.

Now, I've been left with a bitter taste in my mouth regarding Omega and their so called local authorized service centers. It seems that nobody along the chain of command has any interest in solving the problem...they are all "very busy". To me, it's especially painful since this was a gift to my dad. Luckily our local laws state that warranty issues must be solved in a reasonable amount of time, but no longer than 15 calendar days. For me it's been 30 and I don't even have an estimate or a reason behind the defect. I'm seriously evaluating my options to use the law in order to give the watch back.

But, what I'm actually trying to say is that I've never imagined that so much amateurism could be shown by such a brand as Omega. They used to sit on a pedestal for me. I've had Tissot watches with minor issues and they solved it in 2-3 days in a local authorized service center, while treating me like a valued customer.

As I write this, I've sent both Omega and my local AD an ultimatum. Omega did not reply yet and my local AD told me via phone that they are waiting for Omega to reply to their request also. So basically, the AD has as much access to Omega as I do. God...so much amateurism!
I'm sorry that the communication from them has been poor, but you should temper your expectations a bit, as the long wait is normal. Any time Omega opens up a watch they are likely to perform a full service rather than try to chase gremlins to diagnose your specific problem and watch service times are measured in months, not weeks, especially if it has to be sent away for service. Be patient and confident that they will sort it for you, and your dad will have himself an excellent watch. Good luck!

·
Registered
645 Posts
Proper service is the black hole of the industry. There have been lots of discussions, look in particular for posts by @WTSP. I'll just add here that Covid has made an abysmal situation even worse, to see such a thing as even possible, and there's no choice but to ride it out. One silver lining is that Omega is good about fixing problems, at worst you may only have to send it back twice
:)

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Sorry for the long wait. Had an issue with my SMP, and the local service center had everything ready in a few weeks. Glad it did not have to be sent to Switzerland.
This is exactly what I was expecting from the local authorized service. If I would have bought from other ADs and they would have told me that the watch needs to go to CH for service I would have probably been more at ease. But the local guys initially told me that they are not authorized to work on this caliber an that they are too busy anyway, so it would be faster to just send it out to CH. Why then make your authorized service a main selling point versus other ADs when I was inquiring about the watch?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm sorry that the communication from them has been poor, but you should temper your expectations a bit, as the long wait is normal. Any time Omega opens up a watch they are likely to perform a full service rather than try to chase gremlins to diagnose your specific problem and watch service times are measured in months, not weeks, especially if it has to be sent away for service. Be patient and confident that they will sort it for you, and your dad will have himself an excellent watch. Good luck!
Yes, I am trying to temper myself. The problem is that everything has been made worse by the impression that they left me (local AD) that they simply don't care that much. Even from the start they told me that "well, this will take a while since our guys are all on holiday and we have to see when we can slot your watch in". That's not a very reassuring thing to say to your customer :).

·
Registered
Omega Speedmaster Professional 3861
87 Posts
Sorry to hear this.

I had a poor experience with Omega as well with my Speedmaster and the 3861 movement. Still waiting for it to return.

I learnt from it how poorly they treat you. I find it unacceptable for the price paid. They treat you like you bought a candy.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Yes, I am trying to temper myself. The problem is that everything has been made worse by the impression that they left me (local AD) that they simply don't care that much. Even from the start they told me that "well, this will take a while since our guys are all on holiday and we have to see when we can slot your watch in". That's not a very reassuring thing to say to your customer :).
Yeah, that's unfortunate. Don't let one bad AD turn you off to a great brand though. None of the Swiss brands are particularly known for their great customer service, unfortunately. The SMP300M is one of the best modern divers available today, and is a great value. Hopefully it doesn't take too long!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
To be fair to Omega, they just replied today to me, stating that the watch will be going through a full service in order to restore it to perfect condition, all under warranty. They said that they expect completion by the end of next week, after which the watch will be shipped back to the AD where I can pick it up from. I'll post some pics here as soon as it's back home :).

·
Registered
10,798 Posts
The AD taking too long seems to be the problem. Now that they've sent it, this is the normal timeframe, especially if it's been sent to Switzerland. Be glad it got sent there, I read they are the best! Even if it takes a month or two.

It should be in good hands now it's at Omega HQ. It's not just Omega that have these timeframes. It's the industry. There must be a reason for it. Maybe because, excellent watchmakers are scarce?

Personally, I'd rather have it take 3 months in Switzerland than 3 week by a local Omega centre.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Wait times especially, with COVID-19, have increased. I know that a colleague had to wait 2 and a half months (via AD sent to Omega HQ) for his watch to get back to him. I understand your predicament however.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Unfortunately every business is being hit with supply chain issues, and employment issues. I have a watch , not an Omega, that needs service and they have at least been honest to tell me that the wait time is unknown. This watch also needs warranty service as it is running fast. I suppose better to be told the truth and then you will know that there will be a delay. Unfortunately giving them an ultimatum may not improve the service you get. I would try to make contact with someone at the Omega Service Center who can keep you updated. Omega used to have an online communication that should each step your watch was at in the service process. Stay in contact and ask them to explain the reasons for the delay and be realistic regarding the time frame, sadly it isn't likely to improve overnight. Omega is still a top brand with a great product and it may take extra time to repair, but I have only heard good things about this watch that you gifted to your father.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts