WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
38,811 Posts
Bummer. This is usually the exception, not the norm, so hopefully you will get it resolved to your satisfaction.

Good luck.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Hi there Guys. I wanted to share a story with you that kind of let me down on the Omega brand.

Me and my dad are watch enthusiast, but never got to pulling the trigger on a more special piece. This year, my dad retired and I decided to get him a watch to mark the moment. I had 3 on my list: Longines Master Collection Moonphase Chrono, Tudor Black Bay and Omega Seamaster Diver 300m. I decided in the end to go with the more expensive one in Omega. My dad always looked up to the brand as being a symbol of longevity and quality.

I searched around a couple of ADs in Bucharest, Romania and decided to go with the one which, at the time, had the only Omega authorized service in the country. It gave me great confidence to know that, should anything happen, it would be quickly sorted in the local Omega authorized service center. So I pulled the trigger on a 10.30.42.20.06.001. My dad absolutely loved it...I gave it to him on his B'Day and I'll never forget the look in his eyes.

Sadly, only 4 months later the watch stopped working. It would tick away while you wound the watch manually, but it would stop as soon as the you would stop the winding process. I was disappointed but confident that the local service center would take care of it. I took it in and from the start they told me that they were very busy and it might take some time....ok. After 2 weeks had passed and not a single sign from them, I decided to start pushing them on a solution. They told me that they are not authorized to do such a diagnostic on this caliber in the local service. I wish they would have told me that when they boasted about being the only authorized Omega service center in Romania months earlier. Ok then, I gave them the ok to send the watch to Switzerland. It took another week for them to send it. They were very indifferent to the matter and seemed to have 0 interest in solving my problem. Up to this day I did not even get an "I'm sorry for the inconvenience". I decided to write to Omega Customer Care in Switzerland. They were much more cordial and promised that the situation would be solved quick and with me and my dad's satisfaction in mind.

Another week passed and no signs from Switzerland. I did not expect the matter to be solved within a week, but I was expecting at least a time estimate. I wrote to them again and got a reply saying that they are very busy and they are doing anything possible to hurry up the process.

Now, I've been left with a bitter taste in my mouth regarding Omega and their so called local authorized service centers. It seems that nobody along the chain of command has any interest in solving the problem...they are all "very busy". To me, it's especially painful since this was a gift to my dad. Luckily our local laws state that warranty issues must be solved in a reasonable amount of time, but no longer than 15 calendar days. For me it's been 30 and I don't even have an estimate or a reason behind the defect. I'm seriously evaluating my options to use the law in order to give the watch back.

But, what I'm actually trying to say is that I've never imagined that so much amateurism could be shown by such a brand as Omega. They used to sit on a pedestal for me. I've had Tissot watches with minor issues and they solved it in 2-3 days in a local authorized service center, while treating me like a valued customer.

As I write this, I've sent both Omega and my local AD an ultimatum. Omega did not reply yet and my local AD told me via phone that they are waiting for Omega to reply to their request also. So basically, the AD has as much access to Omega as I do. God...so much amateurism!
Sorry, but this is largely a situation borne of inexperience. A new, 4 month old watch that fails should be sent directly back to the manufacturer, not an AD, or even a local service center. I think if you poll most of us here you will hear about much more extended repair time frames than what you expected or hoped for. When I sent my Sinn back to Germany for a service I believe they had it for 3 months before it was returned to me in perfect condition. It took a similar amount of time at Omega and Breitling, give or take a couple weeks. All of this said, from now on I would not trust the so-called AD with adjusting the bracelet let alone repairing a watch that has stopped running. They were the only ones who really acted badly in all of this.

I hope your father enjoys his Omega once it's back on his wrist.

·
Registered
Doxa Sub 300T | Tissot T-Race Nicky Hayden '17 | Citizen Nighthawk
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Sorry, but this is largely a situation borne of inexperience. A new, 4 month old watch that fails should be sent directly back to the manufacturer, not an AD, or even a local service center. I think if you poll most of us here you will hear about much more extended repair time frames than what you expected or hoped for. When I sent my Sinn back to Germany for a service I believe they had it for 3 months before it was returned to me in perfect condition. It took a similar amount of time at Omega and Breitling, give or take a couple weeks. All of this said, from now on I would not trust the so-called AD with adjusting the bracelet let alone repairing a watch that has stopped running. They were the only ones who really acted badly in all of this.

I hope your father enjoys his Omega once it's back on his wrist.
The reason why I went back to the AD was their advertised Omega certified service and also because the relationship that I built with them during the purchasing process was stellar. So obviously I trusted them to the moon and back. I had no way of predicting that the servicing part might not be up to the same standards. But now I will prefer to deal with Omega directly. Based on their update sent earlier today, it seems that from their end the whole process will last no more than 3 weeks, which I understand is more than resonable. If the AD would have sent the watch directly to Omega, the whole story would have been probably already over. Live and learn :)

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Unfortunately every business is being hit with supply chain issues, and employment issues. I have a watch , not an Omega, that needs service and they have at least been honest to tell me that the wait time is unknown. This watch also needs warranty service as it is running fast. I suppose better to be told the truth and then you will know that there will be a delay. Unfortunately giving them an ultimatum may not improve the service you get. I would try to make contact with someone at the Omega Service Center who can keep you updated. Omega used to have an online communication that should each step your watch was at in the service process. Stay in contact and ask them to explain the reasons for the delay and be realistic regarding the time frame, sadly it isn't likely to improve overnight. Omega is still a top brand with a great product and it may take extra time to repair, but I have only heard good things about this watch that you gifted to your father.
They have been pretty prompt with their anwers towards me once I contacted them directly in Switzerland, so based on what you guys are telling me and what I see from their side, my trust in the brand itself (not the AD) is starting to come back.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I think the worst part of the story is not so much the time but the attitude at the AD. I totally get it and I share your pain. I've been in several ADs for the past few weeks trying watches because I'm still looking for the perfect match. Now, I'm always polite, and at most I try one or two, as I don't want to be an inconvenience. Still, all I get is a very average service and an overall attitue of "I don't care". Actually I get a better service from regular watch/jewellery shops. I don't believe they should put you in a pedestal, but if I'm looking to spend a sizeable a mount of money on a useless object, I expect better treatment than in a Zara store.

I hope you get the watch in a realistic amount of time and the issue gets fully solved.

·
Registered
264 Posts
The reason why I went back to the AD was their advertised Omega certified service and also because the relationship that I built with them during the purchasing process was stellar. So obviously I trusted them to the moon and back. I had no way of predicting that the servicing part might not be up to the same standards. But now I will prefer to deal with Omega directly. Based on their update sent earlier today, it seems that from their end the whole process will last no more than 3 weeks, which I understand is more than resonable. If the AD would have sent the watch directly to Omega, the whole story would have been probably already over. Live and learn :)
Indeed, on the rare occasion that I go to a new AD (and I mean one that I'm considering making a purchase from) I will ask to meet their watchmaker(s). This kind of quick meet can tell me something about their training and experience and also about how seriously the AD takes service. Most ADs consider a watchmaker anyone who can adjust a bracelet or install a strap. That said, some have truly excellent watchmakers who are factory trained and very experienced. Another issue, especially with the latest offerings, is the question of parts availability. It's very unlikely that the average AD, even if they have a qualified watchmaker, has on hand, the parts needed to do every kind of repair on every watch they sell.

Anyway, I'm happy things are trending in the right direction for you.

:) (y):)

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Knock Seiko for their QC, but they replaced the movement (solar quartz) in a prospex diver i purchased used...in about six weeks, including navigating our lovely US Postal Service minefield in both directions.

I hope and trust your dad's watch will get repaired and returned in due course.

·
Registered
9,667 Posts
Sorry to see this. Hopefully once the main Omega service kicks in it resolves the issue and puts a smile on your face.

Nigel

·
Registered
474 Posts
@sawyer
Sorry, but you have completely wrong ideas.
If your watch comes back to you repaired after 8 weeks, it was fast, 12 weeks is rather normal, a forum colleague had to wait almost half a year for the return of his Swatch Group luxury watch because the winding crown was not available.
So practice patience and one more little tip: asking every three days for the current status doesn't speed up the repair in any way.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
@sawyer
Sorry, but you have completely wrong ideas.
If your watch comes back to you repaired after 8 weeks, it was fast, 12 weeks is rather normal, a forum colleague had to wait almost half a year for the return of his Swatch Group luxury watch because the winding crown was not available.
So practice patience and one more little tip: asking every three days for the current status doesn't speed up the repair in any way.
I appreciate your feedback but I will have to respectfuly dissagree. If most higher end brands are doing it, this does not mean that it should be tolerable. I may have wrong ideas when it comes to how things are done, but I consider them right ideas when it comes to how it should be done. I don't think anyone would consider it normal if we'd be talking about a new car going in for warranty service, right? Esspecially since this is not a service that I required...it's a warranty issue, after only 4 months of use, on a caliber that is renowned and marketed for its durability. If this were a request from me to service a 5 year old watch, then yes, I might have prepped myself for a longer period and would have considered it normal.

As for my insistence, were it not for it, the AD would have still not written to me as we speak, nor send it to Omega in Switzerland, as they were too busy and they "have several people on holiday for the next 2 weeks". The AD did take action only when I decided to write to the guys in Switzerland and they in turn contacted the AD about my inquiry. Even the AD told me that "due to me contacting Omega, they have sped up the process and will be sending the watch to Switzerland". 2 days after me writing to Omega, the watch was in Switzerland. Omega took one week to diagnose it and, as they have assured me today, a maximum of another week to repair and send it back to me. If the AD would have not spent 2 and a half weeks doing nothing, the whole thing would have been solved in 3 weeks, tops. Even the local warranty law states that in maximum 15 calendar days the seller must at least offer a solution to the customer. After 15 calendar days the AD was still at the "we don't know, must send it to Omega when we get the time" phase, without actually doing anything.

I had a similar issue with my Nicky Hayden Tissot after 6 months of use. I took it to a local authorized Tissot service under warranty. In 2 days the issue was solved. Yes...we're talking about a much, much simpler watch than the Semaster, but I felt treated like I mattered to them. They explained very clearly from the begining what must be done and how much time I may have to wait. Nothing was let to chance and "we'll see what we can do".

I'm a very amiable guy and tolerate A LOT of things. But there is a fine line I draw when it comes to taking advantage of my good nature.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I agree with you OP - that's not the kind of customer service I would expect from the AD of a fine brand like Omega. It sounds like Omega themselves are working on it now and I have high hopes they'll take care of it satisfactorily, although it might take longer than you'd like. A little considerate customer service can go a long way to make a good impression, and lack of it can go similarly in the other direction. Meanwhile, now that it's in Switzerland, sit back and relax. Unrelated: I know very little about Romania, but this song (although it's in Yiddish) has always put a smile on my face:

Reactions: sawyer

·
Registered
410 Posts
Some ADs are good, some are bad. Some have real in-house watch repair capabilities, some do not. I've had good Rolex RSC experiences and bad Rolex RSC experiences. I think you just drew the short stick. I feel this has nothing to do with Omega as a company or the watches they make in particular.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
Wait times for service and repair for all brands were pretty long before COVID, and COVID has made them longer. I sent a watch from a different brand in for a warranty repair last year and it took over 2 month. Customer service was very cordial and they arranged for courier pick up and covered international shipping to get the watch back to their service center, but warned me up front that they were very busy and backed up and that it might take up to 10 weeks before it would be fixed.

·
Premium Member
7,989 Posts
I believe your AD failed you mate.
If that happened with mine in Australia it would of been priority as purchased though them.

I feel your Dad is probably more concerned re your frustration and being led by the nose originally by the " service centre".AD.

Omega will make it right, plus the AD should of disclosed prior to your purchase that they were unable to repair your chosen piece.

Look forward to seeing you post a pic on your father's wrist.
In the 40 plus years I've purchased Omega, they have been flawless with the exception of one warranty claim that the AD mucked up.

All the best
Dave

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
This is exactly how I felt with my JLC Reverso…
Lusted after one for years and finally got it. After about 4 weeks of owning this 6 month old Reverso, the lugs started loosening from the chassis. While JLC’s response was reasonable and timely, it totally killed the experience for me.

I sold it with full disclosure and moved on… maybe too much in haste? Who knows. I’ll give JLC another try someday…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: sawyer

·
Registered
97 Posts
I hate that this happened to you!
I sent my 6 year old DOXA 1500 in for overhaul in August. The DOXA US rep told me turnaround was taking 6-10 weeks, so I presume that is standard. I don’t mind that wait, as much as being in the dark of the process, and where the watch is at in that process. They lost Clive Cussler’s original watch some 18 years ago, and eventually found it!
geez!

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
While most supply chain systems, deliveries are somewhat diminished in current times, communication takes only seconds. For that deficiency, there really is no excuse, IMO.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I don’t mind waiting for a watch repair. It took about 6 weeks for my Sinn to get repaired even though it was a simple hand resetting and a servicing. I figured I have another watch and a cellphone so it’s not like it’s an emergency.

More importantly, I don’t want a repair house to rush a repair. Depending on the watch, these are the highest of precision parts that have zero tolerances in most cases. Why rush such a repair? Even if you are taking exterior order case related fixes, I want the job to be perfect.

Now if it come back like it’s been done half-as*ed, then I will be pissed. But I haven’t had that problem yet, at least not with my ADs.

Waiting for my dinner order to come out or my Amazon package to arrive, yet they better tell me quick. A luxury watch, dude take your time and fix it right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 55 Posts