WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just got my highly sought after sbcm023 after reading so many awesome reviews about the watch. The only negative things I've read were pertaining to the lack of a sapphire crystal, the endlinks, and the fact that it was a tad small at 39mm. Well, I've only had it in hand for about 5 minutes, but OMG....39mm is stretchin it. I measured, and it's closer to 37-38mm without the crown. The crystal is about 28mm across. Just about 40mm with the crown. Sooo, I guess I was expecting it to look a tad bigger on my small 7 inch wrist. I can see now why so many people flipped it for being too small, BUT, BUT, the rest of the watch is truly amazing. All of the reviews about hight quality were spot on. This thing is a work of art. This is the first quartz I've owned where the second hand actually aligns with it's markings. The lume is awesome. Probably not as good as my Luminox, but it's better than anything else I own by a long shot. The band, the bezel, and the clasp all have a solid, sturdy feel to them. Long story short, it's smaller than I was expecting, but it makes up for it in so many other areas. It does have some vertical presence to make up for it though. I'm going to sit on it for a few days and have the wife give me her opinion. I'll keep you updated on my final decision. If it's a keeper you're sure to see plenty of pics to come...:) JUST ADDED THE PICS..GO HERE TO SEE: https://www.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=379332

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Congrats!

How thick is it?
I think the official specs say 13mm. That seems to be pretty accurate. I measured 11mm from the actual bottom of the case to the top of the bezel. I measure 12-13mm from the actual bottom of the screwback. Yeah, it just looks small though. Some have said it's how the small face looks with the bezel etc. I'm not sure though, I've just put it up against some of my other 40mm watches, and face to face there's not much difference, but it does appear small on the wrist. I now get the "diver" watch thing though. These things are just cool. Simple in design, and easy on the eyes. It's a nice change of pace from all of the busy chrono's I own...

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Re: Congratulations!

SBCM023 is probably the most comfortable HEQ diver around ...
It definitely looks to be that way, with it's super smooth/rounded polished edges. My whole issue with it looking small probably has something to due with the fact that I've been wearing monstrous Gshocks around lately, including the PAG40. It's one of the biggest watches on the block and I'm sure it looks ridiculously large on my small wrists.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, after staring at if for quite some time I've decided this thing is too damn gorgeous to send back. I just got it sized and have been wearing it around for a couple hours. I absolutely love this thing. I'm pretty sure it's my new favorite. Super comfortable. It has a ton of heft and I actually can't imagine wearing anything bigger/heavier. I was sure that the lume couldn't touch the tritium on my Luminox..so I brought it into a dark room...and HOLY CRAP...it's actually brighter by a long shot! I couldn't believe it. I thought tritium was the brightest lume out there. Anyway, this things a keeper and hopefully I can get some pics up tomorrow, including some lume shots(never tried that before).

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
...I was sure that the lume couldn't touch the tritium on my Luminox..so I brought it into a dark room...and HOLY CRAP...it's actually brighter by a long shot! I couldn't believe it. I thought tritium was the brightest lume out there. Anyway, this things a keeper and hopefully I can get some pics up tomorrow, including some lume shots(never tried that before).
Tritium is constant (at hour/days-level, will age in 14-30 years) - so is better after 4-5 hours, but for a 30-60 min. real dive there are a number of better alternatives as you can see ;-)

·
Registered
454 Posts
Hey Scoob - don't worry about the modest size. It'll grow on you...

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Tritium is constant (at hour/days-level, will age in 14-30 years) - so is better after 4-5 hours, but for a 30-60 min. real dive there are a number of better alternatives as you can see ;-)
Thanks. I did do the test again after having it sit in an unlit room for an hour. You're absolutely right. The tritium remained the same and the seiko was not as bright. Those damn noobs, it really gets annoying explaining the same thing to em' over and over...;-)

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
On a good note - the lumibright won't give you cancer!
Actually neither will tritium - 'beta particles from tritium can penetrate only 6 mm of air and are incapable of passing through the dead layer of human skin' ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tritium ) - the stuff that gives people cancer comes from alpha and gamma decay, and H3 is one of the VERY few accessible isotopes that only has beta decay ...

·
Ball Watch, Bremont and Longines moderator
11,594 Posts
Actually neither will tritium - 'beta particles from tritium can penetrate only 6 mm of air and are incapable of passing through the dead layer of human skin' ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tritium ) - the stuff that gives people cancer comes from alpha and gamma decay, and H3 is one of the VERY few accessible isotopes that only has beta decay ...
To add to this here is a tube reference material from Ball:

https://www.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=89521

The H3 used in the Ball are higher Tritium content and larger on some of the models than any other manufacturer using tubes. This is differentiated by the license marking on the dials T25 (up to 25mc max) and T100 (greater than 25mc but less than or equal to 100mc).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts