WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
17,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My SEA-GULL 1963 is finally here!
It's time to set up the tri-pod, despite the rain drizzle and near 100 degree temperature outside (the sky is my only light-box).

The quality of this Chinese chronograph has to be seen to be believed, considering it's $125 price tag. It has kept well within 5 seconds per day on my wrist, and dial up at night. The chrono pushers are smooth as silk!

Please forgive the trees reflecting on the dial, the micro-fiber cloth reflecting on the bezel, rain drops, and lot's of lint! The clouds were thickening, and I had to rush to avoid the heavier rain.

Thanks for looking!

·
Premium Member
4,953 Posts
That IS very beautiful.:gold The factory is selling those chronogaphs for $450on Chinese Ebay.<| These might be the last batch at $125.

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
Mine arrived today, as well. THANX to Jeff !
Blue screws are OK, but it looks much better without the blue foil on the pushers, Watchman. ;-)

louis

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
$450 on Chinese ebay..wow..the price is going up.

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Thanks for the great pics. I m excited to get mine. Congrats on a beauty.

·
Registered
17,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
motorboat said:
What size is the case?

Watch diameter is 41mm excl crown, 44 incl crown
Strap size: 20 mm :-!

·
Registered
17,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
louis said:
Mine arrived today, as well. THANX to Jeff !
Blue screws are OK, but it looks much better without the blue foil on the pushers, Watchman. ;-)

louis
I spoke to Jeff about the pushers, this is his reply:
"Not sure about the blue color, underneath is simply stainless so I am not sure if they are for decoration or as a buffer for whatever machine pushes the buttons on."

I would think that a Q-tip with a drop of acetone might take it right off, but not sure what I will do right now. I need to do some research!

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
There must be slight differences in each 1963. Some need 18mm straps and have writing on the back. There must not be a standard. Interesting. The movement is the same.

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
i won't be able to buy a new strap until mine comes..lol.

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
What is the factory name to look it up on Ebay China?

·
Registered
17,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
thodgins said:
There must be slight differences in each 1963. Some need 18mm straps and have writing on the back. There must not be a standard. Interesting. The movement is the same.
Yeah, I wish mine had the writing etched on the back.

I have mixed feelings about the different crowns as well;
I love the looks of my onion type crown the best, but the
regular style crown like on the 1963 that Bestak posted is
MUCH easier to grip and turn.
Bestak's pic:

·
Premium Member
4,953 Posts
Knight Watchman said:
That must be MSRP! :-D
Your watch looks far better than that one with a more stylish case and dial. So a retail price of RMB 5,000.00 is reasonable IMO.:-D

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Interesting. I will find out in the next couple of days which one I get.

·
Registered
17,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
soviet said:
Your watch looks far better than that one with a more stylish case and dial. So a retail price of RMB 5,000.00 is reasonable IMO.:-D
Thanks Zhang, but as much as I love these watches, even at a reasonably higher price, they are not worth what these auctions are asking!

First off, the screws are not "real blued" screws; they are painted or chemically treated, but not heat treated to turn them blue.
Second, those are not real "cotes de Geneve" stripes. These were not individually decorated by running a milling machine up and down the metal plates in straight lines; they were clearly "cast" with that design in them. This is all perfectly acceptable in a sub-$200 watch. For $450, however, I would expect real blued screws and real cotes de Geneve decoration. Just my 2 RMB! ;-)

BTW, these are the next two on my list, IF they don't jump up in price by too much!

AND

1 - 20 of 28 Posts