WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

My SEA-GULL 1963 is finally here!

3K views 27 replies 7 participants last post by  Russ Cook 
#1 ·
My SEA-GULL 1963 is finally here!
It's time to set up the tri-pod, despite the rain drizzle and near 100 degree temperature outside (the sky is my only light-box).

The quality of this Chinese chronograph has to be seen to be believed, considering it's $125 price tag. It has kept well within 5 seconds per day on my wrist, and dial up at night. The chrono pushers are smooth as silk!

Please forgive the trees reflecting on the dial, the micro-fiber cloth reflecting on the bezel, rain drops, and lot's of lint! The clouds were thickening, and I had to rush to avoid the heavier rain.

Thanks for looking!

See less See more
#11 ·
louis said:
Mine arrived today, as well. THANX to Jeff !
Blue screws are OK, but it looks much better without the blue foil on the pushers, Watchman. ;-)

louis
I spoke to Jeff about the pushers, this is his reply:
"Not sure about the blue color, underneath is simply stainless so I am not sure if they are for decoration or as a buffer for whatever machine pushes the buttons on."

I would think that a Q-tip with a drop of acetone might take it right off, but not sure what I will do right now. I need to do some research!

#12 ·
There must be slight differences in each 1963. Some need 18mm straps and have writing on the back. There must not be a standard. Interesting. The movement is the same.

#15 · (Edited)
thodgins said:
There must be slight differences in each 1963. Some need 18mm straps and have writing on the back. There must not be a standard. Interesting. The movement is the same.
Yeah, I wish mine had the writing etched on the back.

I have mixed feelings about the different crowns as well;
I love the looks of my onion type crown the best, but the
regular style crown like on the 1963 that Bestak posted is
MUCH easier to grip and turn.
Bestak's pic:

#20 · (Edited)
soviet said:
Your watch looks far better than that one with a more stylish case and dial. So a retail price of RMB 5,000.00 is reasonable IMO.:-D
Thanks Zhang, but as much as I love these watches, even at a reasonably higher price, they are not worth what these auctions are asking!

First off, the screws are not "real blued" screws; they are painted or chemically treated, but not heat treated to turn them blue.
Second, those are not real "cotes de Geneve" stripes. These were not individually decorated by running a milling machine up and down the metal plates in straight lines; they were clearly "cast" with that design in them. This is all perfectly acceptable in a sub-$200 watch. For $450, however, I would expect real blued screws and real cotes de Geneve decoration. Just my 2 RMB! ;-)

BTW, these are the next two on my list, IF they don't jump up in price by too much!

AND

#21 ·
Knight Watchman said:
Thanks Zhang, but as much as I love these watches, even at a reasonably higher price, they are not worth what these auctions are asking! ...[/QUOTE]

I understand. These are cost-reduction process. I would also like a nice engraved caseback like those vintage ones.:-) RMB 5,000 or 3,600 is outrageous IMHO. It was intended as a joke. I would not buy them anyway. On the other hand, Seagull could add a little effort to make them look much better. Perhaps someone could get these opinions feed back to Seagull.

#23 ·
Knight Watchman said:
I spoke to Jeff about the pushers, this is his reply:
"Not sure about the blue color, underneath is simply stainless so I am not sure if they are for decoration or as a buffer for whatever machine pushes the buttons on."

I would think that a Q-tip with a drop of acetone might take it right off, but not sure what I will do right now. I need to do some research!
Acetone will do, sure. I did it with my fingernail. No joke.
louis

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.