WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Community,

I am still in the beginnings of my watch collection, however I plan to buy a proper diver with good value for money.

I have been eyeing the Seiko SKX007, however it seems rather small with 41mm for my wrist size.

A friend of mine recommended the Michel Herbelin Newport Trophy, but for me this seems to be a fashion watch with less recognition and history.

I am looking for a Model priced either New or used Near Mint Condition below 900$ (the lower the better)

The specs I am looking for are:
- Saphire Glass
- 42 or 43 mm in Size
- Metal Bracelet
- Automatic
- Waterproof 100 meters or more
- Swiss or Japanese Clockwork
- Build Date Post 2015
- Clear readability in daylight, good luminace at night

Extra Points
- Handwinder
- Unique Clockhands / Secondhand

Thank you very much for the support!
clockwork

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Theres no shortage of good divers out there in your budget

If you dont mind buying used look at the Oris Aquis (blue, green & grey dials available) it'll be at the top end of your budget though.

OR

Certina DS Action Diver (different dial colours available) can be found new below your budget.

Look into Stienhart, Phobios, Helson & Scurfa.

Plenty of Seikos other than the SKX that will do the trick too

good luck

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
Dear Community,

I am still in the beginnings of my watch collection, however I plan to buy a proper diver with good value for money.

I have been eyeing the Seiko SKX007, however it seems rather small with 41mm for my wrist size.

A friend of mine recommended the Michel Herbelin Newport Trophy, but for me this seems to be a fashion watch with less recognition and history.

I am looking for a Model priced either New or used Near Mint Condition below 900$ (the lower the better)

The specs I am looking for are:
- Saphire Glass
- 42 or 43 mm in Size
- Metal Bracelet
- Automatic
- Waterproof 100 meters or more
- Swiss or Japanese Clockwork
- Build Date Post 2015
- Clear readability in daylight, good luminace at night

Extra Points
- Handwinder
- Unique Clockhands / Secondhand

Thank you very much for the support!
clockwork
That's a great budget you've got there. I would personally avoid the SKX007. I think there's better watches out there.

I would also recommend a Helson Shark Diver and they make one that fits in the 42mm category you required, but I'm not sure if they're versatile enough to take to work and formal dinners.

There are plenty of watches that will fit in this category so maybe providing a few more personal preferences would be useful - (a) preferred color and (b) date complication or not, would be a good way to filter them out.

(1) The Yema Superman comes in 41mm and has some cool heritage associated with it - https://en.yema.com/products/yema-superman-french-air-force-steel-limited-edition-yaa39-ams

It says $999 but you can usually get a 10-15% discount on them. I owned a Yema Navygraf Heritage a while ago and was a very versatile watch.

(2) The Zodiac Super Sea Wolf line is a good option as well. I really like their designs, and while they might not be exactly 42mm, they do wear larger than they measure. - https://www.zodiacwatches.com/collections/super-sea-wolf

(3) The Helson Shark Diver is a neat watch, but might not perfectly blend into a formal work setting - https://www.helsonwatches.com/shop.php#!/Helson-Shark-Diver-40/c/22810066/offset=0&sort=normal

(4) The Scurfa dial is a great option as well - https://www.scurfawatches.com/categories/watches/

(5) I know you mentioned dive watches, but Formex have some really innovative designs that are essential sport watches but also quite versatile. https://usd.formexwatch.com/collections/essence

Good luck on your search!

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
An Orient Kano meets all your criteria. You can get one of those for about $200-250.

·
Premium Member
3,556 Posts
Welcome Athetos! In that price range, I'd recommend an Oris Aquis, or Oris 65 in 42mm. There are some fantastic Seikos that others will have to chime in on as I'm rusty re the modern Seiko lineup. With a budget of $900 at your top end, you'll be able to get something that should last a lifetime if you get it serviced at regular intervals. Moreover you should be able to find something that suits you aesthetically: Something that will do well at the office, casually, and something you can dress up or down.

All the best, and good luck on your hunt!

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
This will cost you $900 if you look hard. Squale 1521 50 Atmos Militarie blasted/opaque
Sub 500 m.
Eta Swiss 2824-2 self-winding movement
Steel case
Diameter 42 mm
Anti-dazzle sapphire glass
Sapphire
Super-Luminova

Picture from Squale

squale militaire 1521 .jpg

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
I mean you cannot beat the value the SKX offers

·
Registered
203 Posts
Some general advice...

Don't be afraid to buy used. Look at Watchrecon for a gently used watch and save yourself some $. Try to be on the lower end of your price range for your first watch, because this won't be your last...you may look to trade up or add to the collection.

If you're looking for a larger dive watch with sapphire crystal and swiss, take a look at the Alpina Seastrong Diver. They are 44mm. A quick search on Watchrecon shows a couple of those in the $400 range.

·
Premium Member
71,325 Posts
You’ve already had a couple of recommendations for the Scurfa (for good reason may I add) but take a look at the Chris Ward C60 as well.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I'm going out on a limb here, but it sounds like you'd do well with a Longines Hydroconquest.

41mm
Auto or Quartz
Sapphire glass

It's a sturdy watch but also has fantastic wrist presence and is really one of the better desk divers I've seen. You can swim with it, but it also looks great with a suit and tie. These run around $800-1500 new and a little less used.

All in all, good luck and welcome. I learn from and appreciate the different points of view from everyone here...

Sent from my IN2015 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you all kindly for the warm welcomes! 🙂

I will try to find an Oris Aquis at a good price.

They have a good history and I enjoy that the back side has a window.
The strap choice seems rather limited (no navy option), but I think its enough for the start.

The hunt begins!

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
the Aquis is a really nice watch. the lugs are unique, but it's a popular watch, so there should be plenty of aftermarket strap options if you want alternatives.

Lots of other great suggestions here. I wear the certina ds action diver (ETA automatic) and scurfa bell diver 1 (citizen/miyota automatic) regularly, both well within your budget.

·
Registered
843 Posts
huh...no one said save up for a Submariner...

Oris Aquis is a solid choice, but do they have aftermarket strap choices?
Longine HC is another great classic watch that definitely goes surf to turf easily...
but don't sleep on the Seiko for rugged tool/dive watches SRPB Samurai or SBDC Sumo if you want bigger than SKX

1 - 20 of 20 Posts