WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here is my Sharkhunter and a 1890's vintage Colt Peacemaker I inherited from my Grandpa.

I am trying to get my miniature "studio" set up to take some watch pictures, and this is one of my first efforts.

Tell me what you think...

Sorry guys, I didnt know pictures of guns were verboten. I removed it.

The following link contains a picture of a vintage American firearm. Anyone who is offended by this should NOT CLICK THIS LINK!

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/8932/doxacoltju8.jpg

·
Registered
11,829 Posts
....Sigh..... as much as it pains me to say it (GREAT old historic Colt there BTW!!!!!!) you need to read the rules. Number 5 is it? Any weapons (hand held at least) are forbidden in pictures on WUS.

Not that there aren't many of us who appreciate a nice shot of watches and firearms together (have many myself). There are law enforcement, private security (the kind that goes into war zones ;-)), military, gun collectors (like myself), machinegun shooters, competetive shooters... But it seems we also have a number of folks who are offended by pictures of weapons (it is after all, a very worldly Forum, and there are a great many nations, opinions, and sensibilities represented herein).

Our Gracious host, Ernie Roamers has deemed this to be the rule for this subject. He goes to great lengths to provide this place for us to enjoy, and it is the least we can do to respect his wishes (seems I recall once posting a link to such a pic with a disclaimer stating there would be a pic of a firearm, and that anyone who would be offended by such should not click the link....). If you can, perhaps deleting the pic yourself would be in order.

And welcome to the Forum!

Sigh......

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Nice shot. One tip. Shooting a dial face on is very difficult unless you have a black sheet and poke the camera through it. I shoot the watch slightly oblique and use a black card to reflect off the dial and bezel. Just hold it up and move it until you get the best position. Lots of trial and error but thats part of the fun. :) happy "shooting" :-d

Pete

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dr. Millar,

Thanks for the tip!

Your book is great BTW! The guys I work with got it for my birthday.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
VTailFlyer: That's a wonderful old First Generation Colt Single Action Army! You should definitely contact Colt and have the gun "lettered." They have all the shipping records for the old revolvers like yours. They can tell you how it left the factory and where it went. The letter just adds to the gun's value. It's a beauty!

I sure don't get offended by that old cowboy gun! This pic is much more intimidating:

For some of my pics, click here:

http://smith-wessonforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/540103904/m/5341025591

I'm "mm6mm6" and that tjpopkin guy takes some awesome photos!

·
Registered
11,829 Posts
Well guys, I guess one more link won't spoil the day. Hey, mine aren't even real Colts (that's on the list though....), but the Itallians do make some fairly decent copies.

No watches in this link, just firearms of 1873 design....

http://www.fototime.com/2ECC2A23081A55E/orig.jpg

·
WatchUSeek Administrator
39,209 Posts
You wouldn't happen to own a Beech Bonanza Model 35 would you? Great rides that got a nasty reputation (and nickname) for their unforgiving natures toward newbie pilots (who usually bought them as status symbols). Created quite the Doctor shortage prior to 1982.

·
Premium Member
5,733 Posts
Wait!, wait!...is that a gun that I see one of those sooper, scawwy soldiers carrying?:roll: Damn.....the mods better pull it.....I'm really offended:-d:-d:-d:-d

·
Registered
533 Posts
That Colt is GORGEOUS!!!!!!! I love old pieces with some character on them. Nice shot with the Sharky too.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I do indeed own a Bonanza! A near mint condition 1965 S Model. Flying is one of my other great passions.

I have attached a pic...

Thanks for reminding me about the factory letter from Colt. I have been wanting to do that for awhile, but just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Thanks for the links Steve. Some nice pieces there!

Nice pics of the Colt clones Bone! I had a Uberti for a long time and it was a good gun.

Here are a few more pics.

This one shows the Colt, my Doxa and a Hamilton Pocket watch that also belonged to my Grandpa:

http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/8762/hamdoxayl0.jpg

This one is a 1920's vintage Colt 32-20 and the Hamilton:

http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/9863/3220andhamdc8.jpg

This one is my Sinn U2 and a Manhurin Walther PP clone:

http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/5539/eintznb2.jpg

I am still working on camera settings and lighting setup. Dr. Millar gave me some good tips that will improve quality.

Once again, anyone offended by classic, high quality firearms SHOULD NOT CLICK THESE LINKS!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
TBone: I use my Colts in Cowboy Action Shooting and I see guns like yours at the shoots all the time. Nobody does one piece walnut handles like the Italians do! Gorgeous!

Vtailflyer: Gotta love those Manhurhin/Walthers! I've always been a Walther fan and some day I'm going to pick up a Manhurhin PP for my collection. I just got this one back from Michael Gouse of Montana...I think he does outstanding engraving work....

(Click the little "full size" magnifying glass to see these pics bigger and in better resolution)

http://s136.photobucket.com/albums/q187/mm6mm6/?action=view&current=GouseEngraving012.jpg

Actually I sent him two at once and he did this little Colt made in 1916 for me too...

http://s136.photobucket.com/albums/q187/mm6mm6/?action=view&current=GouseEngraving017.jpg

The little S&W breaktop linked previously was the first one I had him work on and then I had him engrave my S&W 624...

http://s136.photobucket.com/albums/q187/mm6mm6/?action=view&current=SW624004.jpg

http://s136.photobucket.com/albums/q187/mm6mm6/?action=view&current=SW624006.jpg

Please do not click on the above links if you are offended in any way by the artistry of a professional who enhances metal by the precision hand work of a hammer and small chisel. I should send Gouse my Doxa and have him engrave it too! Hmmmmm!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh wow Steve! Those are real beuts!

That is some mighty fine work there.

I am a cowboy shooter as well (SASS#21328) and shoot a pair or Ruger Vaquero's. I have put thousands and thousands of rounds through those old girls and they are still like new.

How long did it take to get your guns back from the engraver?

Also, can you describe your lighting and camera setup? You are getting some excellent results there.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I collect guns, watches, cameras, cars and fly a Mooney.

At the risk of stating the obvious, but maybe for those on the list who are not gun collectors but also have granddad's blunderbus - Don't try to restore them.

A rubdown with oil, inside and out won't hurt (and is a good idea) but don't try to clean it with steel wool, polish metal or re-blue. That would cut the value of a goold old piece in half.

And thanks for the tip on poking lens through black paper.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

At the risk of stating the obvious, but maybe for those on the list who are not gun collectors but also have granddad's blunderbus - Don't try to restore them.

A rubdown with oil, inside and out won't hurt (and is a good idea) but don't try to clean it with steel wool, polish metal or re-blue. That would cut the value of a goold old piece in half.

Indeed. A very good tip there. Preservation is much more desirable than restoration. I always liked the idea of owning items that the original owner would still recognize many, many years after parting with them for one reason or another.

·
Registered
343 Posts
When I first read the rules it said no Guns.Yet i see these pictures..i respect the forums rules therefore i follow them.Now i see these..its not that im against pictures of guns..i own them also.but i follow the rules.how come some dont? i didnt see a change in the forums rules.please advise ..thanks the2ster..btw the picture of the navy seals have guns too..what the heck? rules or no rules??b-)

·
Registered
349 Posts

VTailFlyer, Ganderite, et al,

I am truly envious. You guys collect all my favorite things. I would love to start flying but can't work the expense of lessons into my budget, much less a plane! I love the looks of the V Tail, and saw one recently fly over my house. A Mooney mocks me every weekend also.

Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Vtailflyer: We joined SASS right around the same time, I'm #28172!

Gouse's website is: www.mtart.com

I told him to put me "in line" for my PPK and 1902 Pocket and he called me about three months later. I sent them to him and they were gone just under three weeks. American Scroll engraving with 75% coverage. He charged just $300 each! That's super inexpensive for such quality work. His engraving is very small, deep and tight. Very much like American Scroll from 100 years ago. He does pretty much any type of engraving. I agree about not restoring original old guns, but occasionally there are exceptions. Your old Colt should stay just the way it is (love the wood handles!). My Colt was so horrible when I got it (for free!) that it was unshootable. I put a new barrel in and had it restored (just $100) by another real artist who made it like new without losing any edges or writing. After I had it a few years, I decided to sent it to Gouse.
Whole story with pics here: http://www.coltforum.com/forums/showthreaded.php?Cat=0&Number=58344&an=0&page=1#Post58344

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I dont see any pictures of guns (save the ones in the Doxa ad.) We posted links to pictures off site with explicit instructions NOT to click on them if you would not like to see that sort of thing.

I am new here, so I cannot say what really is right or wrong regarding this forum. All I can say is that I/we are doing our best to suit all people who may/may not be interested in these posts.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts