WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I decided I wanted a PO inspired mod. I started out with a pair of thrashed SKX033s that Ramon had posted on the bay. One was advertised as running. Both of them looked pretty rough. The one that would run was missing the crown and stem. The non-runner had obviously had water get inside. It soon became clear that the water had gotten in because the case was cracked right through the thin part where the stem tube is forced into the case. So much for that case. I was able to salvage the crown and stem from it however.

The running watch was a little more interesting. While I was waiting for parts to come in, I set to regulating the movement. It was very strange, it would run for 5 to 10 hours at decent accuracy, and then it would drift off by 30 minutes in the next 4 hours. I fiddled with it for quite a while, and in the end decided I would tear it down and see what I could find. In the end, it turned out that one of the wheels was not fixed to its' pinion very well. It would run most of the time, but from time to time, it would break free and not turn. I thought about stealing the matching wheel from the non runner, but another opportunity came along and I jumped on it.

I had been looking for a Seiko dial with numbers at 3, 9 and 12 to mimic the planet ocean, but the one I really wanted could not be found for a reasonable price. One of the on line watch retailers was blowing out Seiko 5's, so I killed two birds with one stone and bought a 5 with a 6,9,12 dial and a 3:00 crown for $50 delivered. I now had a new movement and a dial.

I bought PO hands and a domed sapphire crystal from Yobokies. I bought a PO bezel insert from Alpha Watch in HK. It just happens to fit the 033 bezel perfectly. I refinished the case, which had quite a few pretty good dings in it. When the new donor 5 came, I popped the movement and dial out and set it in the 033 case only to find that the ring of lume dots around the outside of the dial was of larger diameter than the standard 033 chapter ring. I then go in touch with Swedefreak to see about lathing a little of the inside of one of these plastic rings (I had two of them). Jonathann did his magic, but when I went to paint the ring silver, disaster struck. For some reason, the ring kinked and would not go round again. It must have been a solvent in the spray paint that attacked the plastic in the ring. Now Jonathan stepped back up to the plate and machined a new custom ring from aluminum.

The last addition was a seamaster style bracelet from the bay, and here are the quick and dirty results.

I really should have done a better job of removing the lint before I took these, but I was in a rush.

Here is a good look at Jonathan's chapter ring.

Here is a little more of the bracelet. I may do a little more fiddling with the endlinks to make it fit better.

All in all, I am pretty pleased with the results. Thanks to all those who helped me along the way.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts