WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ongoing saga of what to get the young fella for his 21st. Everyone like pictures so here's the story in pictures.

It started off witha toss up between 2 watches I owned and felt he would like

Omega Seamaster

Breitling Superocean

The vast majority went for the Seamaster so that was it as far as I was concerned. However, I made the mistake of looking at a thread about the Non date Submariner and that was it, back to square one. I was then lucky enough to get a great deal on a gently used 14060 and so the Omega and Breitling will be looking for new homes to pay for it.

Rolex Submariner - Non date

This Rolex thing really has become addictive. Including the Submariner, I have the GMT and Sea-Dweller. The GMT being "The One". If I could only have one watch, that would be it. The Sea-Dweller is a close second though. Both absolute classic designs.

The Mrs has two Air-Kings. the gold dial which was mine a long time ago and the Red dial one which admittedly is a redial. She just loves Red watches and was always on at me about one, so I bought a Silver dial Air-King and a Red redial. Quite complicated to swop actually because the movement retaining screws turn counter intuitively and I needed to do a long search on Google to find out what the hell I was doing wrong. But in the end it worked and the Mrs wear the red Air-King during the week and the Gold one on a Sunday. Marital bliss ensued.........

The Rolex 5

I'm sure the young fella will be happy with his birthday present.

Pete

·
Rolex / Tudor
14,596 Posts
Pete, who couldn't love the simplistic, symmetrical design of the 14060?? I hope that he appreciates it, because I know that you have agonized over the decision on "what to get" When is his birthday? Make sure and give us a few pictures of dad/son wristshots when you give it to him.

If he doesn't fully "get it" when you give it to him, just show him the early shots of James Bond wearing a sub no-date. That usually does the trick.

Congrats on your decision, I think you made a good one. I would have wet myself if my dad would have given me a Rolex for my 21st birthday.:-d

·
Registered
11,829 Posts
Nearly impossible to beat that as a birthday gift Doc. He'll be thrilled (if not now, certainly later!, but I bet now).

Great thing you've done for him. And a great "family shot" up above as well. Well done :-!.

·
Registered
248 Posts
All are great choices. I'd go with the SMP or the Rolex. Either way, he's getting a great watch. I hope he doesn't encounter any envy/jealousy/disrespectful comments from others if you give him the Rolex.

My 21st is coming up in July. I wanted the SMP for a while, but I think I'm going with the Longines Legend Diver :)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Well, I was lucky enough for my father and mother to give me a Tudor Submariner back in 1995 for my 21st bday. Best gift by far & something i will never forget or sell.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
A great choice, Pete. Arguably, there is no more iconic dive watch than the Rolex Submariner - the 5513/14060 bloodline. You will not only be giving your son a great watch, but a true piece of diving history, and from his Dad to boot. This may very well be the birth of a treasured family heirloom for generations to come.

ANd Jason's right -we;re gonna need that father-son wrist shot!

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
you're a good Daddy, and your son is a luck boy.
because my Dad never gave a watch. LOL :-d

i choose Breit for him.

good luck!:-!

·
Registered
56 Posts
This story reminds me of when my son was an undergrad he mentioned several times that while he didn't care about watches in general, the one watch he liked was my Sub (date model). I wasn't about to give him something that expensive, yet I didn't want to give him a fake or even an "homage" from some unrelated manufacturer, but then it hit me and I searched far and wide and found him a Tudor Sub w/date, in fine condition, fully overhauled, and gave it to him when he got his BA. He's worn it 24/7 since then, x-country and around the world and all the way through law school. I just had it overhauled again for him, and they had to laser-weld a place on the inside of the clasp where the steel was splitting. Meantime the watch itself has appreciated significantly from what I paid for it.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
You are a wonderful father. Your son will love it and someday he will gift it to his son!:-! From about 85 thru 2004 all i wore were rolex(gmt master to a sub and since 99 U series 16613 gold/SS sub), the watch is a little small for my taste and would have flipped it but my 19 year has loved the watch since i bought it new in 99, i also plan on giving it to him on his 21st!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts