WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
Mostly Speedies
2,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It was only a few years ago that I was building a “one watch from each brand” collection and the intent was to stop at 5 or 6 watches. After all you can only have so many fav brands. But we all know how that goes.

Well I had 1 Omega - my trusty Speedy Reduced 3510.50 that I had accumulated many memories with.

Then I added the 2006 SMP and now I had two Omegas in a collection that was supposed to have only one watch per brand. That’s when I started to think it wasn’t about one watch per brand even though that requires a discipline that was impressive. You buy and wear what makes you happy. For some people that may be 3 divers or 4 Rolexes. The reality was that I was really into Omega with IWC and Panerai a close second. And I was REALLY into the Omega Speedmaster in all its lovely variations.

That’s when it started. I read and read about the Speedy spending a lot of time on the Fratello blogs and watching reviews on YouTube. And I finally decided that I wanted to build a mini Speedy collection.

1) First I sold my Speedy Reduced. I was growing into larger watch sizes after buying my first PAM and I no longer feared the upgrade to the 42mm Moonwatch from its little cousin. I researched the heck out of what I wanted and settled on a 3592.50 hesalite sandwich with gilt movement. And soon proceeded to acquire one off the forum.

2) Now that I had my Speedy Pro I wanted my first LE. The obvious choice was the ST1 but prices had climbed and I had a hard time shelling out that kind of cash for a watch that was very close to the one I already owned in many aspects. Instead I got a good deal on an iconic reproduction of the very first Speedy (Trilogy) and I pulled the trigger.

3) Surely now it was time to add the ST1? Or perhaps one of the Tokyo 2020 models since all the coveted LEs were pricey. Well after much thinking I went for diversity. I had been lusting for a watch in my sports team’s colors (red/black) and a column wheel chrono with a pop of color was the perfect choice for # 3. The Speedy Racing Coaxial.

So here is my mini Speedy collection. If I do get another Speedy the ST1 would once again be high on the wishlist. But I’m very happy with these 3. I could rotate the heck out of them without even touching some of my other watches.

What I really love here is the diversity. 3 different dial colors and 3 different case sizes. Solid and exhibition case backs. 3 diff movements (863, 1861, 3300). 3 types of straps (leather, rubber, metal). Broad arrow and standard Speedy hands. Tritium vs Superluminova. Date vs no date. Applied vs not. Vintage inspired vs modern. And finally space vs racetrack. As you can tell I’ve spent way too much time thinking about this stuff

So even though they all bear the name Speedmaster they are very different watches in my eyes.

AD (Instagram @officine_scrivano)

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
Very nice, congrats!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
Wow, awesome trio! Snoopy? ;)

·
Premium Member
Mostly Speedies
2,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Nice story and great journey. I envy you having such a clear direction of what you want in your collection, good luck with the continuing hunt.

Reactions: lo_scrivano

·
Premium Member
Mostly Speedies
2,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
nice work choosing pieces that fit your style
wear what you like and like what you wear
Nice story and great journey. I envy you having such a clear direction of what you want in your collection, good luck with the continuing hunt.
Sweet collection. All different, all awesome!
Thank you all for taking the time to read my post. CRW161 while I do have clarity of thought in some areas rest assured that I battle with the usual decisions all watch enthusiasts do. There are many watches I feel the urge to buy and just control my impulses. Because that’s what they are - impulses.

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
I hate that the watch collection section is now not editable on Tapatalk. This is the last SOTC I took. It’s about a year old so is only missing the new Red Speedy Racing.

Very nice collection indeed!

Rene

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
I hate that the watch collection section is now not editable on Tapatalk. This is the last SOTC I took. It’s about a year old so is only missing the new Red Speedy Racing.

that is a great collection
you weren't kidding when you said the Omega bug bit you
well don't feel bad it bit me too
what model and year is that watch on the hard left, looks like a 50's Omega

·
Registered
9,575 Posts
It was only a few years ago that I was building a “one watch from each brand” collection and the intent was to stop at 5 or 6 watches. After all you can only have so many fav brands. But we all know how that goes.

Well I had 1 Omega - my trusty Speedy Reduced 3510.50 that I had accumulated many memories with.

Then I added the 2006 SMP and now I had two Omegas in a collection that was supposed to have only one watch per brand. That’s when I started to think it wasn’t about one watch per brand even though that requires a discipline that was impressive. You buy and wear what makes you happy. For some people that may be 3 divers or 4 Rolexes. The reality was that I was really into Omega with IWC and Panerai a close second. And I was REALLY into the Omega Speedmaster in all its lovely variations.

That’s when it started. I read and read about the Speedy spending a lot of time on the Fratello blogs and watching reviews on YouTube. And I finally decided that I wanted to build a mini Speedy collection.

1) First I sold my Speedy Reduced. I was growing into larger watch sizes after buying my first PAM and I no longer feared the upgrade to the 42mm Moonwatch from its little cousin. I researched the heck out of what I wanted and settled on a 3592.50 hesalite sandwich with gilt movement. And soon proceeded to acquire one off the forum.

2) Now that I had my Speedy Pro I wanted my first LE. The obvious choice was the ST1 but prices had climbed and I had a hard time shelling out that kind of cash for a watch that was very close to the one I already owned in many aspects. Instead I got a good deal on an iconic reproduction of the very first Speedy (Trilogy) and I pulled the trigger.

3) Surely now it was time to add the ST1? Or perhaps one of the Tokyo 2020 models since all the coveted LEs were pricey. Well after much thinking I went for diversity. I had been lusting for a watch in my sports team’s colors (red/black) and a column wheel chrono with a pop of color was the perfect choice for # 3. The Speedy Racing Coaxial.

So here is my mini Speedy collection. If I do get another Speedy the ST1 would once again be high on the wishlist. But I’m very happy with these 3. I could rotate the heck out of them without even touching some of my other watches.

What I really love here is the diversity. 3 different dial colors and 3 different case sizes. Solid and exhibition case backs. 3 diff movements (863, 1861, 3300). 3 types of straps (leather, rubber, metal). Broad arrow and standard Speedy hands. Tritium vs Superluminova. Date vs no date. Applied vs not. Vintage inspired vs modern. And finally space vs racetrack. As you can tell I’ve spent way too much time thinking about this stuff

So even though they all bear the name Speedmaster they are very different watches in my eyes.

Congratulations on a fine trio!

Nigel

·
Premium Member
Mostly Speedies
2,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
that is a great collection
you weren't kidding when you said the Omega bug bit you
well don't feel bad it bit me too
what model and year is that watch on the hard left, looks like a 50's Omega
It’s a circa 1952 Seamaster. When I get it serviced this year I will get a bit more details on the exact ref.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts