WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
8,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who don't remember I shipped a watch in 2007 (october) and it never made it to Canada which was it's final destination. I've learned today that it was finallly tracked and shipped on April 21st, 2009. That's 1 1/2 years after initial shipment. It was never stolen, apparently lost somewhere in the abyss for 1 1/2 years. So the million dollar question is how do I recover the watch or money? The buyer did a chargeback but apparently now has the watch and the money. I am absolutely in shock that thing showed up that long after initial shipment.

·
Registered
8,827 Posts
Can you contact the fellow that received it? If he's on the up and up he ought to either pay you or send it back. I would, as I am certain you would, be willing to pay his fees for shipping it back if he is no longer interested (which would be understandable).

·
Registered
8,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can you contact the fellow that received it? If he's on the up and up he ought to either pay you or send it back. I would, as I am certain you would, be willing to pay his fees for shipping it back if he is no longer interested (which would be understandable).
I contacted him and told him everything I typed above. I'm hoping he is an honest and upright gentleman. But wouldn't he have contacted me in April when the watch showed up if he was truly honest?

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I contacted him and told him everything I typed above. I'm hoping he is an honest and upright gentleman. But wouldn't he have contacted me in April when the watch showed up if he was truly honest?
Yes, but maybe honestly confused.

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
A couple of years ago, the Royal Mail (UK mailservice) delivered a letter that was sent off from the trenches in France during WW1.
YES, WW1 !!!!
It was somwhere in the Abyss too.

·
Registered
8,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
UPDATE: talked to the buyer:

Your email is very interesting but lacking some facts. I had never received the watch you sent to me, and I would suggest that if USPS, or Canada Post has proof that I have received this, such as a signed delivery notice, that they produce this piece of evidence.

Further, as you stated earlier, this is a battery operated watch which has registered serial numbers and the first time that someone takes this in for service, the authorities will be alerted.

I am sorry that this transaction did not work out, and that is why Postal Insurance was part of the deal. I cannot do more for you with regards to a watch I have never received.

Regards,

Patrick
SIGH.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Yeah that sounds a little suspicious. He probably knows there is no way you can prove he received it and is going to play dumb.

Good luck.

·
Registered
967 Posts
get a copy of it then

·
Registered
899 Posts
The possibility exists that the guy did not receive the watch, and that someone else signed for it.

I wonder what a person working at UPS would do, if they found a packaged that was supposed to be delivered 1.5 years ago.

·
Registered
8,827 Posts
They have a signed delivery receipt.
In that case I would offer that tidbit to him and suggest that forwarding the watch or money would be in his best interests. If not then I'd contact the US Postal Inspectors as their foulup caused this and perhaps they can generate some cooperation through their counterparts in the Canadian Post Office?

·
Registered
8,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
In that case I would offer that tidbit to him and suggest that forwarding the watch or money would be in his best interests. If not then I'd contact the US Postal Inspectors as their foulup caused this and perhaps they can generate some cooperation through their counterparts in the Canadian Post Office?
The inspectors are already working on it. It was an $800 watch so worth the hassle. I am going to just let the Postal Authorities handle this. I've done all that I can do on my end.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Sorry to hear about your problem. I am glad you have at least found it, it is some relief at least knowing it just did not disappear. You are right in letting the postal inspectors in handling this and i hope it works out in your favor. I am curious though was the package shipped insured?

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
Wow, this is a bizarre revelation. Since it was signed for in April how did you finally come to find out it was shipped? There has to be a little gratification knowing initially the guy did not set out to rip you off, but is he now? Weird...

·
Registered
8,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sorry to hear about your problem. I am glad you have at least found it, it is some relief at least knowing it just did not disappear. You are right in letting the postal inspectors in handling this and i hope it works out in your favor. I am curious though was the package shipped insured?
That's a whole different set of issues that have come into play. And I would really not like to hash those out again if that's OK with everyone. But the short of it is that I bought insurance and the claim was denied because of the method of shipment that I chose. Otherwise I wouldn't have been pursuing this for the last 2 years.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts