WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I purchased the 42mm SS Blue leather Loop version and a rubber strap separately. Here are my thoughts on the watch, which I will continue to edit as I add positions or refine those already stated.

CONS:

1. App layout is horrible.
2. 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] party apps are extremely slow to load, 1-12 seconds. Native apps are responsive.
3. timer/stopwatch cant be started from the "modular" watch face
4. cant buy 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] party dials
5. no gps, but can still track distance w/o phone
6. putting on rubber strap is awkward, but the strap is very comfortable
7. no titanium version
8. viewing under direct sunlight is bad, like a smartphone
9. can't reply to emails
10. No hourly chime option.
11. Apple's Reminders & Notes app aren't on the watch
12. No laps in workout app

PLUS:

1. Applepay is awesome
2. Straps are very well thought out, very comfortable, no tools needed, adjust bracelets and switching straps is very fast & easy
6. The watch is comfortable, not too thick
9. Workout app is pretty good, but wish it has more customization
10. Night viewing is extremely good
11. Charges in a couple hrs. very fast
12. Can wear watch on either hand with crown on left or right with a simple software change from within the apple watch app
13. Getting notifications for texts, calls, emails is very useful especially when your not near the phone and it's still connected via bluetooth or wifi. Answering the phone is okay, answering text messages is very easy.
14. Leather loop is awesome for adjusting on the fly. I've been wearing it 10-12 hrs a day so sometimes I prefer the strap looser other times more snug. The use of magnets was a great idea.
15. Alarm wakes me up in the morning even with watch off the wrist.

Things to Consider:

1. steel will get scratched, it’s an uncoated polished metal, it’s too be expected
2. battery is a non-issue for me, the least I've gotten is around 30%. I thought it would be hassle to charge every night, but I just plug it in when I plug in the phone
3. when taking off rubber strap, be careful, as your removing the strap it can come off the prong and fall off your wrist
4. interacting for too long a time is uncomfortable, for example if you want to read a whole news article on it. I don't think it's meant for that sort of thing.

My Rating:
I think it's a 3.9-4 out of 5. It's good, but not great. It's a keeper for me and will has become my daily wearer.

If your expecting a watch that is a mini iPhone and can do substantially the same as your phone you will probably be disappointed. If your looking for a good digital watch, like I was, that alerts you of text, email, calls and is a good workout companion I think you'll like it. I do think this is a watch you can wear with anything in almost any situation. Except swimming or very rough activities. At some point I will shoot a video review to accompany this, once I further refine my thoughts.

·
Registered
17,900 Posts
How's the weight of the steel Watch compared to other watches you've got? I've read Apple's specs as 50g, but I don't know the weights of my other watch heads. I'm still trying to decide whether to go with aluminum or steel (which is a whole separate discussion).

Regarding your first Con -- Remember that you can arrange the apps however you want. I saw an app layout that only had maybe 3 or 4 across at the most, and the most-used apps at the top. The idea was to get rid of the need to swipe side-to-side, so the user only needed to scroll up and down.

There was another guy who arranged his apps into this wild spiderweb-type shape, grouping each type at "nodes" around the perimeter. Creative, if nothing else.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I pre-ordered aluminum first because the reality is in a year or two, probably a year, apple will release a new one so why get a more expensive one. I went with what appealed more to me. I felt the steel one looked better. I prefer lighter watches and for my taste the aluminum felt better since it was lighter, but I didn't like the brushed look I prefer the polished steel. It's 80g with leather loop; 76g with sport band.

Yes you can arrange them, I sort of have it that way but I would have preferred scrolling up/down with the crown rather than the finger. Plus the icons are somewhat small.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
How's the weight of the steel Watch compared to other watches you've got? I've read Apple's specs as 50g, but I don't know the weights of my other watch heads. I'm still trying to decide whether to go with aluminum or steel (which is a whole separate discussion).
You should start a separate thread to talk about steel vs aluminum, that'd be a fun thread.

I'll measure the AW watch head when I get off from work, but it's about the same weight as a dress watch (and pretty light compared to my dive watches). Here's a comparisons with other watches that I have:

Watch head weight:

Citizen NY2300: 60g
Zeno Watch Explorer: 52g
Seiko SBDX-001: 115g
Seiko SBBN-015: 92g
Seiko SARB033: 55g

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Watch head weight:

Citizen NY2300: 60g
Zeno Watch Explorer: 52g
Seiko SBDX-001: 115g
Seiko SBBN-015: 92g
Seiko SARB033: 55g
Adding to this:

38mm Steel AW w/ black rubber: 64g
38mm Steel AW watch head only: 40g

So it would seem that the AW is one of the lightest modern watched out there.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How long have you been wearing the AW as a daily watch? Any itches to wear your mechanicals (yet)?
I think I'm going on 3 weeks. I use to wear a High Accuracy Citizen rated at +/-5 sec p/year. I wore that almost daily for 2 years I think. Thus far, no desire to wear it again, in fact, I am thinking of selling it only thing holding me back is what I will wear for something very formal like a wedding. It's been running +1 sec since the beginning of January so I think it's awesome. I'm int accurate watches and like the idea of having one watch for everything so the AW fits me fine.

IMG_0297.jpg

·
Banned
6,316 Posts
PLUS:

3. Changing straps is extremely easy it takes less than 20 seconds (I'm surprised no watch company has thought to revolutionize straps)
IWC had it before... remember apple doesn't invent anything, they just take others ideas. also you can see in the ikepod watch the rubber straps are the same ones now used in the "watch sport"

IWC Aquatimer Automatic Watches For 2014 Hands-On | Page 2 of 2 | aBlogtoWatch
Apple hires legendary designer Marc Newson ahead of 'iWatch' launch - CNET

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
IWC had it before... remember apple doesn't invent anything, they just take others ideas. also you can see in the ikepod watch the rubber straps are the same ones now used in the "watch sport"

IWC Aquatimer Automatic Watches For 2014 Hands-On | Page 2 of 2 | aBlogtoWatch
Apple hires legendary designer Marc Newson ahead of 'iWatch' launch - CNET
I must be missing something here. How is IWC's solution (in the link) similar to Apple's? Looks like there's still a springbar in the bracelet and rubber... And I didn't find any mention of magnets.

And since Marc Newson worked in the Apple Watch, it makes sense that he'd bring his designs over to the Apple Watch, no?

·
Banned
6,316 Posts
I must be missing something here. How is IWC's solution (in the link) similar to Apple's? Looks like there's still a springbar in the bracelet and rubber... And I didn't find any mention of magnets.

And since Marc Newson worked in the Apple Watch, it makes sense that he'd bring his designs over to the Apple Watch, no?
fast forward to 1min mark

marc newson worked for ikepod...

·
Registered
17,900 Posts
marc newson worked for ikepod...
… and partnered with Jony Ive on other projects* before being "officially" hired by Apple.

But we all knew that, right?

*I'll put money on the Apple Watch being one of those projects long before the public announcement of Newson joining Apple.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well he was co-owner of the company. Apple doesn't invent anything new but when they release something I do think there products are different than what's one the market. Partially why they scrapped a television, they couldn't offer anything compelling for the price they were going to have to charge.

·
Registered
17,900 Posts
Well he was co-owner of the company. Apple doesn't invent anything new but when they release something I do think there products are different than what's one the market. Partially why they scrapped a television, they couldn't offer anything compelling for the price they were going to have to charge.
Rumors are not facts. Nobody who actually knows what's going on inside Apple—that is, any of their top execs or R&D teams—ever said anything about a TV set.

A whole television would be a stupid idea anyway. The problem with TV isn't the hardware, it's the revenue model. Between cable, satellite, streaming, and over-the-air (yes, free TV still exists), the money stream is chaotic.

Besides, why should a homeowner get rid of a perfectly fine TV when they can buy a little AppleTV box for less than seventy bucks?

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
fast forward to 1min mark
Nice, thanks for sharing the video.

But the quick release of the IWC is quite different from Apple's, no? IWC's solution looks like a purely mechanical connection, whereas Apple's is mostly based on the magnet holding the strap or bracelet in place.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
the point is apple doesn't come up with anything new...
They do come out with products that are more compelling, for a certain target market, than existing solutions.

The point is not being first to market, but rather being best (whatever criteria that may be) for the customers, not reviewers.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think it's more than a rumor, the wsj wrote a piece on it. I'm talking about the television display not the whole television ecosystem. That's probably why the TV display didn't make any sense, people could buy a perfectly good quality TV display from another manufacturer at a very affordable price and just add the Apple TV. As far as the television ecosystem that undoubtedly is still being developed and we will probably hear about it next week.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts