WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am mainly a dive and sports watch fan but I finally decided that I needed a more work appropriate watch and so the search began. I ran across the Tissot Le Locle and it has a very classy yet modern look which was exactly what I wanted. I liked the textured dial of the current version but saw a picture of the arabic and baton versions and knew that I preferred them over the roman numerals, despite my attraction to the waffle textured dial. The non-textured dial versions seemed rare and near impossible to source but as my luck would have it, one popped up and I nabbed it right then and there.

Now that it is in my hands, I must say that I am very satisfied and impressed at the value this watch offers at its price point--Swiss made, ETA 2824-2 movement, sapphire crystal, classy and cool display back, and nice bracelet (looks like a Breitling pilot bracelet).

--Case--
40mm in size makes this a perfect modern day dress watch. The case is mostly polished but the sides have a brushed finish except for the lugs which are fully polished. The fit and finish is excellent and above what I would expect at this price point. There are no sharp edges and no imperfections that I can spot with the naked eye.

--Bracelet--
Exceptionally looking bracelet that is fully polished and a tad bit blingy but I like it for that reason. A simple swap to a leather strap will further dress it up and subdue any bling factor the watch has. The bracelet fits well as it comes with two half links which makes finding the right fit that much easier. The only gripes I have is that the end links seem a hair smaller than 19mm and thus rattle a little and the bracelet does pull my arm hair every now and again.

--Dial & Hands--
Love the dial! It has a black lacquer like finish and the polished silver applied numerals look great. The hour and minute hands are also polished and silver in color and makes reading the time a breeze. The second hand looks to have a brushed silver finish which is a nice subtle contrast from the other two hands. The minute and second hands also reach all the way to the minute hash marks which helps with legibility (I don't know why a lot of watches don't do this). Not sure if I like the white date wheel and would be curious to see how it would look in black with white numbers.

--Case Back--
Definitely one of the coolest display backs I have seen in person on any watch (granted I've never seen or held a high end piece). Nice engravings all around and love the texture on the Tissot and 1853 markings. My only complaint is that it is a push/snap-in case back as opposed to screw-down but I don't plan on taking this near water so it really doesn't hurt given the watches intended purpose.

Overall it is a great watch and I have been wearing it daily since I received it this past weekend. And if anyone is curious as to how it wears on the wrist, I provided a wrist shot below (on my 6.75" flat wrists). I apologize for the crappy phone photos!

If anyone has made it this far in my long and boring post, could anyone share more info on the arabic dial version? I couldn't find anything about it online and only saw one thread with one picture in it here. I was curious as to when it was made and for how long. I assume it is the first version before the current roman numeral one but why is it so rare and hard to find and where did they all go?! Thanks!

Reactions: hidro and devilmoon

·
Registered
27 Posts
Don't apologise, I like long and detailed comments. A forum is about info(ru)mation, isn't it?

Mine is the Roman version with guilloche dial , also in black. As you say, it's a pretty awesome-looking watch all round. I probably spend as much time admiring that amazing case back, as I do the dial. There's just one aspect I would change. I'm not that keen on the slad-sided case sides, and not satinised especially. But, there's no perfect watch. The Hamilton Viewmatic is a little closer to perfection though, if you like that particular style. In fact, I did buy one, after the Le Locle, but had to return it because it was faulty. Sadly, they couldn't get me a replacement.
o|

I've just one criticism of your review - you didn't mention accuracy! I don't know if it's so with all of them, but mine is running at +2 secs/day, consistently. That's enough to qualify as a chrono. OK, I haven't tried it in Antartica, and then Death Valley, but I don't intend to go either place.

Anyway, before I went on to source another Hamilton, in the pursuit of perfection, I had another priority. I'd already set my heart on a new Roamer. I've had a couple before (decades ago) and they are brilliant timekeepers, so and here it is:

http://i1129.photobucket.com/albums/m520/roamer2/RoamerMercury.jpg

I prefer the case style. It's more like a pocket watch, with the convex crystal too (much easier to photograph). A hefty watch weighing in at 150g, the bracelet is massive!

So far, it's not keeping quite such good time as the Tissot, but it's very close to it. So, I'd like to know how your Le Locle is keeping time?

(P.S. I'd also like to know how Tissot manage to sell Le Locles at such a reasonable price???)

·
5,156 Posts
Thanks for the review! That is a great looking watch and you seem to be thoroughly enjoying it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
The only catalog I found that piece in is the 06-07 Guidelines book. Very sharp! I didn't realize they made any Le Locle pieces with arabic numerals. Congrats on the new piece!!

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
889 Posts
Thanks for the review. The arabic numberal design looks great. I own the roman numeral on black dial version--don't think you can go wrong with either one. I sort of agree with you on the date dial, sometimes I don't like it because there's nothing really to balance it out on the 9 o'clock side, and yet at a quick glance it can be pretty legible. For the record, my watch seems to come in at +5/day.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the kind responses everyone! I originally planned to just post "My new acquisition" and some pictures and a half done review came out of it.

I put it on a brown leather strap with deployant to mix it up a bit and its great! Two new babies came in for me though so it hasn't seen as much wrist time but it will still have its spot in my rotation.

Mine is currently running a bit hot at +12 seconds or so a day which I can live with. All in all a nice watch! I'm just having a hard time finding out more about the arabic dial version agh! I also saw the anniversary edition with white dial and baton markers on the sales forum and I was REALLY tempted to pull the trigger.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Outstanding pics and review RTea. Couldn't agree more. I have the exact same watch and get heaps of compliments on it. I also may change the band but for a different reason. Unlike yours mine fits the lugs perfectly but it didn't come with any half links and is a bit too snug. Finding replacements down here in Australia is nigh on impossible or will take forever to order. Enjoy your new purchase.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Very nice! Those arabic numerals are as rare as hens teeth! Those Le Locle's with arabic numerals are extremely rare, if not unavailable anywhere. I grabed mine before the pack-rat collectors got a hold of it. This is my very first post here. I decided to because being a watch guy since I could tell time, I really think that Tissot watches reallly are a big bang for the buck. Specialy the ETA automatics. They are just soooooo well made. Extreme swiss quality for your money. Enjoy!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts