WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The idea of taking a trip to Thailand was a recent one. It was my wife's suggestion because we have been working solid for the last five years and the entire family was beginning to look and feel a little ragged 'round the edges. We needed a break.
So, I had a month's leave from work, since I've been there ten years and on October 10th, we caught the midnight flight to Bangkok...

It was an ten hour flight. We arrived at the Centara Grand in Bangkok at about 6:eek:oam and were told our room would be ready at 7:30! Surely it wouldn't take that long...

...or maybe it would. I'd switched from the quartz precision of the TAG Heuer F1 to the elegant brutality of the 42mm Planet O on rubber. Some more time passed, while my wife and kids dozed on the plush sofas in the bar near the lobby.

"Welcome to Thailand, Mr Bond."

Okay, maybe I was getting a little delirious by now. I'd been awake almost 24 hours (my record is 43, but I was a younger man, and it was a bet) and feeling more shredded as the minutes ticked by on my Omega Co-Axial.
It was worth the wait, however, because this is what I saw when I pulled open the curtains of Room No. 3XXX of the Centara Grand (life was gonna be in W I D E S C R E E N for the next four days);

While in Bangkok, we took the kids to the Grand Palace. Via tut-tuk, of course.

I love the Grand Palace for its color, its grandeur and its artwork.

This looked extraordinary up close.

Detail of the Golden Palace.

But it wasn't all fun and games. I was a man on a mission...impossible.

I've blacked out my eyes 'cos I can't afford to have my cover blown.

I love Bangkok. It feels like a set out of "Blade Runner". Four nights in this great city and then it was off to Krabi.

I went for a swim in this water. It was warm. The opening line of that Bond short story of mine kept going through my head while I swam...until the fourth or fifth wave threw me onto some broken shells on the beach. And I have the scars on my back to prove it. Cool!

Check out the lousy swimming pool.

Only one waterfall, one spa pool and two fountains. I mean c'mon! Then I got to our room. What!? You call this a view? Where's the Manager?

Here's a shot of the resort from the shuttle-boat that we took nearly every day. By the end of this trip, I'd begun to feel like a DEA Agent chasing after Columbian drug boats. All I needed was a baseball cap on backwards and an M-16. It was great!

The Centara resort is nestled between the rocky cliffs of Krabi and the very edge of the Andaman Sea. The first picture above shows the pontoon jetty where the boat would drop us off and in the background, you can see one of the many rock formations that are located in this area of Thailand. My wife asked me if I wanted to visit Phi-Phi Island, where "The Man With The Golden Gun" was filmed back in 1974. Nah, I said. I had this one to look at every day.

This resort had everything. Even monkeys.

We left a plate of peanuts out one night. It was by accident. I thought my wife brought it in, she thought I brought it in, you know how these things go. Well, next morning...

"Hey!!! I paid for those!"

Went on an elephant trek. Even got a basket of bananas. Oh. You mean they're for the elephant.

And, of course, a watch shot. This elephant trunk felt like a tree trunk...that was breathing.

This pair of three dollar sunglasses came in handy.

My wife and kids went to a snake show. Upon reflection, I should have gone along. My wife later told me that these three amigos were following the guy's EVERY move.

It was a wonderful trip, truly exciting where it should be and relaxing when it needed to be, and the people of Thailand were beautiful to deal with. I hope the flood situation recedes quickly with minimal heart-ache and loss.

I've written a more detailed account of this trip over on my blog for those who may want to see more;

THE TEERITZ AGENDA: My Trip to Thailand Typecast, Oct 2011

One last pic of a gorgeous sunset.

And one more pic of a gorgeous watch...that served me well on this trip.

I hope you enjoyed this post.

Thanks, all!

·
Registered
8,149 Posts
Great pictures - beaches look beautiful.

mike.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
looks like a beautiful vacation, i hope it was as you wished for. and i concur in hoping the floods recede with as little damage....

·
Registered
442 Posts
Beautiful pictures, great location!

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Thanks for sharing tee, that was a good fun read with beautiful pictures. I agree about the pool, it looks just horrible b-)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Glad to know there are some of Omega fans have been visited my country.
There are a lots of Omega fans in Thailand but not as much as Rolex which is very popular in here.

·
6,880 Posts
Great write-up and phots, Tino.
Glad ya'll had fun! I would love to visit Thailand one day.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Vacation is great. Vacation with the family is priceless! Hope you had fun and thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Looks like you had a great time in Thailand!!!

I'll be there for a month in march.

·
Registered
6,065 Posts
Ugh that looks just awful Ritz, how did you manage?

But in all seriousness, looks like you and the family had an amazing time :-!

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
I visit Thailand every couple of years (family there). Fantastic country and food that I dream about. Glad you're having a great time and that the floods aren't causing you too much disruption.

·
Banned
3,556 Posts
A great photo journal of your trip Teeritz. Thanks for sharing your personal insights into what I hope was a holiday that gave all that was hoped of it. That is, some good R & R and family time. As there is another relative thread, I notice you are wearing the PO on the inside. Security measures?
I love journals, and loved reading your blog. Thanks for Sharing.

·
Registered
7,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks, Mark. I wore the PO on the inside initially as a security measure, since I didn't want to advertise what I was wearing. Although it was annoying to read the time on it when worn this way. Also, I figured I might give off an ex-military vibe too...at least until I took my shirt off at the pool. After that, I looked more like an ex-military stenographer rather than soldier.

I have to admit that I shouldn't have been so security conscious. Bangkok was pretty safe.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts