WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here are my two Sturmanskies. I have hesitated in posting this because these are the two watches I have spent the most money on and also because I have misgivings about both of them. I did get both of them for good prices, so I am not complaining.
IMG_5097.jpg

The military 31569 on the left is missing lume on all the indices and has a green lume dot at the 12. Both make me uneasy. The civilian 3133 on the right has no lettering on the dial, like the earliest aviator chronographs, but is clearly a 1990's model.

IMG_5099.jpg

Nothing wrong, as far as I can tell with the movements, but surprised to find what looks like a Soviet movement in the 3133.

I love both watches, though, and they keep excellent time. I'd be interested in other comrades comments about the anomalies I've observed.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
NuttySlack,

Its not easy to tell from your pictures as there a little on the small size, but I have the following thoughts..

the 31659 on the left dates from around 89-90' lume loss is common, the bezel ring with the green dot comes from another earlier 31659 as pictured below.

pic (1).jpg

the 3133 on the right is an earlier Sturmanskie dial in a much later "Classic" style case, this combination never existed from the factory, a little artistic licence has been used, probably because the original case was damaged or used for another watch.

Enjoy...

·
Registered
10,748 Posts
NuttySlack,

Its not easy to tell from your pictures as there a little on the small size, but I have the following thoughts..

the 31659 on the left dates from around 89-90' lume loss is common, the bezel ring with the green dot comes from another earlier 31659 as pictured below.

View attachment 12948495

the 3133 on the right is an earlier Sturmanskie dial in a much later "Classic" style case, this combination never existed from the factory, a little artistic licence has been used, probably because the original case was damaged or used for another watch.

Enjoy...
Matt, I hope that's not your black and green "sturmanskie" because that dial looks like it's been re-painted. There is some doubt expressed in some quarters about the authenticity of these. I saw one the other day that was supposedly NOS with papers dating it 1990.

I think you're spot on about the one on the right. I usually don't want to re-lume my sturmanskies but the 31659 would be a good candidate for a complete re-lume.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts