WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I really enjoy this forum; seeing all the varied approaches to collecting and ways to pursue an interest in watches. I rarely post but I decided it was time to share a modded G-shock I have put together.

The Casio bug bit hard during Covid and loads of watches passed quickly in and out of my collection. I kept coming back to the DW-6900 and bought lots of variants. It all got a bit out of hand and when my father was visiting one day, I showed him the faceplate from inside the 6900 and idly asked if he could make one out of gold (he's a jeweller)... To my surprise he said he'd love to give it a go.

The photos that follow show the results. He didn't want to cast the piece by moulding and melting the plastic original, I think partly because he felt you don't get the same quality and partly because he's a traditional soul who likes a challenge! So it's fabricated from solid sheet, with a ridge soldered in to keep the plate the required distance from the crystal. He's got the 3 eyes spot on, drilled out and polished with a bevel.

Watch Finger Watch accessory Thumb Clock

Watch Analog watch Clock Finger Wrist

So, here it is. Probably my most treasured possession (along with some paintings made by my Mum) and the most accurate definition of a 'keeper' piece for my collection. The faceplate is housed in a centre case from a DW-6900LU-8 (because I wanted a subtle colour and text on the crystal) and then I've swapped in gold tone buttons, screws and a 30th anniversary backplate that I was lucky to find from a Malaysian shop before they stopped selling parts. A plain bezel and a strap from the GW-5000 finish it off.

The gold makes a subtle difference to the weight. It's about 8 grams heavier than the standard, which is something I really enjoy as it feels somehow more solid / indestructible.

Camera accessory Gas Audio equipment Electronic device Gadget

Watch Clock Gadget Camera accessory Watch accessory

Watch Analog watch Clock Jewellery Audio equipment

Camera accessory Measuring instrument Gadget Gauge Cameras & optics

·
Premium Member
5,453 Posts
I really enjoy this forum; seeing all the varied approaches to collecting and ways to pursue an interest in watches. I'm mostly a lurker and rarely post but I decided it was time to actually post something of my own and share a modded G-shock I have put together.

The Casio bug bit hard during Covid and loads of watches passed quickly in and out of my collection. I kept coming back to the DW-6900 and bought loads of variants. It all got a bit out of hand and when my father was visiting one day and I showed him the faceplate from inside the 6900 and idly asked if he could make one out of gold (he's a jeweller)... To my surprise he said he'd love to give it a go.

The photos that follow show the results. He didn't want to cast the piece by moulding and melting the plastic original, partly because I think he felt you don't get the same quality and partly because he's a traditional soul who likes a challenge! So it's fabricated from solid sheet, with a ridge soldered in to keep the plate the required distance from the crystal. He's got the 3 eyes spot on, drilled out and polished with a bevel.

View attachment 16912682

View attachment 16912683

So, here it is. Probably my most treasured possession (along with some paintings made by my Mum) and the most accurate definition of a 'keeper' piece for my collection. The faceplate is housed in a centre case from a DW-6900LU-8 (because I wanted a subtle colour and text on the crystal) and then I've swapped in gold tone buttons, screws and a 30th anniversary backplate that I was lucky to find from a Malaysian shop before they stopped selling parts. A plain bezel and a strap from the GW-5000 finish it off.

The gold makes a subtle difference to the weight. It's about 8 grams heavier than the standard, which is something I really enjoy as it feels somehow more solid / indestructible.

View attachment 16912684

View attachment 16912686

View attachment 16912688

View attachment 16912689
That's a really nice gesture by your dad, and it looks fantastic to the eye.

I mod G-Shocks every now and again, but I don't think I could afford a precious metals version

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's a really nice gesture by your dad, and it looks fantastic to the eye.

I mod G-Shocks every now and again, but I don't think I could afford a precious metals version

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
Thank you.

The gold itself isn't crazy expensive, especially in the context of watches...

But obviously there's a lot of labour that has gone in to it from my Dad and the sentimental value to me is huge.

It's a kind of daft thing to do to a £50 second hand digital watch, but I'll treasure it forever and it gives me a lot of joy.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
why didn't your dad complete this piece of art with a gold backplate?
and engrave on it your family's last name or special date or something?

Reactions: david35

·
Registered
101 Posts
This looks Amazing! love that the gold is textured and not just a mirror polish.. simple, minimal and clean.. waaaaay better looking than the blingy all gold and diamond bezels I saw on some celebs.. great work!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts