WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sorry for the long post. It DOES lead to watches. I promise. And pictures.

My mother is nearly 20 years younger then her siblings. As a result, I grew up with older aunts and uncles. And by the time I came around, they were already retiring.

My uncle Tommy was one of them. He was married to my mother’s sister. He had been a tank commander during the Korean War, and served 20 years as a corrections officer/captain in New York City. I can’t imagine how he lived that life, he was remarkably gentle. Almost passive. He retired young, in his early 50’s. This was in the early 80’s.

I also grew up broke because my parents decided to have 6 children on a civil servants salary . We did not go without, but the extras were rare and special.

Because he was retired, my uncle was ALWAYS doing something. Weekend trips, baseball games, movies, bike rides, etc.... He took his grandkids everywhere, and he always included us, his nieces and nephews (who were his grandchildren’s age). He treated us like we were his grandkids as well. We were left out of nothing. This meant so much, since we could rarely afford stuff like baseball games.

I didn’t see much of my uncle Tommy in the last few years of his life. Mainly because I face the inevitable by ignoring it. But I loved him dearly. He passed away this past February (on my birthday).

Following his funeral, my aunt Genevieve gave me a couple of his courtesy badges from when he was a corrections officer/captain. She blew my mind when she gave me his dog tag from the Korean War.

Today, she gave me more. I stopped by my parents house to see my father for his birthday, and my aunt was there. She had something for me. 1 of his watches. She says he had a lot, but she has to dig them out. She will give me them as she finds them. I’m unsure of brands, and I really don’t care. They belonged to my uncle.

Today she gave me this 1969 Bulova that my uncles mother had gotten for him. Winds and keeps good time. It’s in great shape. The pics make all flaws look worse. Perfectly wearable as is. The Kreisler band isn’t too comfortable though. Oh, there no wear through of the gold fill. Not on the watch or bracelet, despite the fact that it looks that way in a few pictures.

These last pictures show him wearing a few watches. I can’t make out anything based on the pics. He was not a hoarder, but as a person born during the Great Depression, he was trained to throw nothing away. I’ll bet my life that every watch he ever owned is still in the house. I’d love to track down the 1 he’s wearing in the picture from his wedding day (in the suit).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
984 Posts
Great story, and wonderful pictures! I can relate because both my parents were old when they had me, especially my dad. I'm an only child, but I had a slew of first cousins who were a generation older than me. One is still alive -- she's 101.

Enjoy your uncle's watch, and all the memories that come with it.

·
Premium Member
6,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great story, and wonderful pictures! I can relate because both my parents were old when they had me, especially my dad. I'm an only child, but I had a slew of first cousins who were a generation older than me. One is still alive -- she's 101.

Enjoy your uncle's watch, and all the memories that come with it.
Same! I call some of my first cousins aunt/uncle, just because of the age thing. I actually grew up with my peers being my second cousins.

I’d like to see the movement, but that case back doesn’t want to pop off. And that tab is gnarled up a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,503 Posts
Nice story and excellent pictures. I'd be careful about running it until you have a chance for someone to go through it; I doubt it's been serviced in a long time.

·
Premium Member
2,077 Posts
Thanks for sharing. Your aunt must have thought he would have wanted you to have it. Still looks good.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts