WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I posted a few days ago regarding about buying my first PAM. I went to a local AD today and tried one on. I fell in love. The watch is beautiful. The model was the Luminor Base. I was ready to purchase but they wouldn't give me a good discount. They stated that Panerai watches don't get a big discount. I don't want to discuss price and discount because I don't want to break any forum rules but is this true?

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
10% off retail is what you should shoot for. if your local AD is unwilling to give you that call around and mail order from an AD that is willing to do that for you. :-!

·
Registered
231 Posts
10% is the highest that I have heard for a first time buyer, and 15% is the highest I have heard for a "regular". YMMV though, I really think it depends on the dealer and salesman as well though.

·
4,076 Posts
You're right on, as usual, sellnit. Good to see you around again, BTW!

What model you're after is another factor. The Ferrari lineup has been heavily discounted. If you're on to one of the usual suspects from the 44mm Luminor line, they are all strong sellers so there is no real need to discount.

If you can get 10%, count yourself lucky!

·
Registered
41,222 Posts
There's one well known former basketball player who got 25 on a Regatta.
I saw it in the data files.
10% is the highest that I have heard for a first time buyer, and 15% is the highest I have heard for a "regular". YMMV though, I really think it depends on the dealer and salesman as well though.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
From my experience, ADs are overall reluctant to give ANY discounts on watches period. I have always asked for other items that may offset the difference with say, a comp strap. The OEM strap alone retails about $200.

·
Registered
41,222 Posts
We used to throw in a watch winder or strap, there's isn't that much of a
profit margin and if your on a % to retail system, that will really cut into
your commision and bonus if you make goal.
From my experience, ADs are overall reluctant to give ANY discounts on watches period. I have always asked for other items that may offset the difference with say, a comp strap. The OEM strap alone retails about $200.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I don't think this is true. Couple of month ago, I went to Panerai AD here in Boston. I was looking at this watch(not sure about model number since I am still new to panerai) but it had blue face with blue alligator(?) strap. Salesperson said it was limited edition and he was willing to offer 15% if I buy the watch on that day.

·
4,076 Posts
Sounds like it could have been the titanium/blue 40mm Luminor, the PAM282. The 40mm watches are slower sellers on the whole and, as such, the extra discount would make sense.

Be careful with salespeople touting "limited edition" PAMs. In my experience, most times they are talking about the limited production numbers for a given year, not a true LE. Anything to make the sale, right? :roll:

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Be careful with salespeople touting "limited edition" PAMs. In my experience, most times they are talking about the limited production numbers for a given year, not a true LE. Anything to make the sale, right? :roll:
I totally concur. A sales rep stated the same to me as well. Completely incorrect info. There is a big difference between limited edition and limited production. Huge difference.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts