WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

My Visit To The AD

1K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  usc1 
#1 ·
Okay so I posted a few days ago regarding about buying my first PAM. I went to a local AD today and tried one on. I fell in love. The watch is beautiful. The model was the Luminor Base. I was ready to purchase but they wouldn't give me a good discount. They stated that Panerai watches don't get a big discount. I don't want to discuss price and discount because I don't want to break any forum rules but is this true?

#7 ·
You're right on, as usual, sellnit. Good to see you around again, BTW!

What model you're after is another factor. The Ferrari lineup has been heavily discounted. If you're on to one of the usual suspects from the 44mm Luminor line, they are all strong sellers so there is no real need to discount.

If you can get 10%, count yourself lucky!

#9 ·
From my experience, ADs are overall reluctant to give ANY discounts on watches period. I have always asked for other items that may offset the difference with say, a comp strap. The OEM strap alone retails about $200.

#10 ·
We used to throw in a watch winder or strap, there's isn't that much of a
profit margin and if your on a % to retail system, that will really cut into
your commision and bonus if you make goal.
From my experience, ADs are overall reluctant to give ANY discounts on watches period. I have always asked for other items that may offset the difference with say, a comp strap. The OEM strap alone retails about $200.

#13 ·
Sounds like it could have been the titanium/blue 40mm Luminor, the PAM282. The 40mm watches are slower sellers on the whole and, as such, the extra discount would make sense.

Be careful with salespeople touting "limited edition" PAMs. In my experience, most times they are talking about the limited production numbers for a given year, not a true LE. Anything to make the sale, right? :roll:

#14 ·
Be careful with salespeople touting "limited edition" PAMs. In my experience, most times they are talking about the limited production numbers for a given year, not a true LE. Anything to make the sale, right? :roll:
I totally concur. A sales rep stated the same to me as well. Completely incorrect info. There is a big difference between limited edition and limited production. Huge difference.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.