WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, out with the family and passing an outlet mall so we stopped. The kids loved the playgrounds and my wife looked in many stores. I was surprised to find a Movado Company Store at the outlet mall. Not a fan of Movados but thought I'd have a look.

First, Ebel, ESQ, Concord, and Movado plus some fashion brands and such. The Ebel watches were 2k+ in list cost:roll: Very nice fit and finish but nearly every one of them has an integrated bracelet or strap:-| Now, the bracelets on the Ebels were VERY nicely done and solid but still - integrated at those prices:roll: The lady there seemed better informed than any watch salesperson I've spoken with :-! When she asked me what grade the Eta movement was in my Mido I knew she was not just talking a good game. Anyway, she said that ALL the current Cocords are discontinued models as they are completely revamping their entire line. She showed me some faxes from their central US office and most of what I saw looked like Zenith Techno models :-x However, that meant that the prices on the Concords were really good. One nice auto that retails for $2.4k was listing at $1149 in the store but they had a 40% off on all the Concord because they have been discontinued....so it was something like $690 for the watch:-!

Movado has also apparently rethought their starkness somewhat and have a lineup of sportier watches with sapphire, 200m WR, bright bezels, nice dials, etc. I thought at first that the bezels were decorative as they fit SO incredibly tightly that they did not appear able to move. Man, they do move (240 clicks as I understood it) and were amazingly smooth. Sadly the entire line is Quartz:-s

Overall, very impressed with the fit and finish of the watches I saw. The prices were much more realistic there for what I saw then when I have seen them in Jewlers or other stores in the past. Glad that Movado has come out with some watches that have some character other than their signature lineup........

·
5,150 Posts
Thanks for the update, Doc. I guess none of them tempted your wallet out of your pocket???

·
Registered
8,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the update, Doc. I guess none of them tempted your wallet out of your pocket???
Hi Lee,

No, I'm on the wagon. Got to tell you though - there was this one Concord Auto with a Top Grade Eta 2892. Sadly, all their new watches look like some nightmare from a futurists vision of a post-apocalyptic industrial fusion.:-s

·
Affordables Moderator
17,578 Posts
I was in the Movado outlet in the Pocono mountains earlier this year, took a look around and went on over to the Fossil (Zodiac) outlet :-d

Seriously though, there was nothing there that really caught my interest and most of the watches in the store were quartz for very high prices. There was a nice GMT that I remember, but I can't remember the brand, if it was Ebel or Concord -- it wasn't Movado.

Thanks for the report Robert!

Cheers,
Griff

·
5,150 Posts
Hi Lee,

No, I'm on the wagon. Got to tell you though - there was this one Concord Auto with a Top Grade Eta 2892. Sadly, all their new watches look like some nightmare from a futurists vision of a post-apocalyptic industrial fusion.:-s
Too bad they're going in that direction. I really like some of the classic Concord designs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts