WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hasn't been quite as busy a year in 2012 as the prior year for fliipping watches but I have still seen my fair share come and go.

Had a few Seikos.

1) Seiko SARB045 - really nice watch. I really like blue dials yet when I have them I don't find that I wear them that much...
2) Seiko SARB017 - green dial Alpinist perfect balance between classy and sporty. Sold to fund something else; would get another one but no room in the collection now
3) Seiko SBCM023 - nice if HEQ is your thing but it just wasn't for me.

Had some Germans and thought I'd never sell some of them but bought a house and sold my Stowa Fliegers

1) Stowa Flieger A
2) Stowa Baumuster B 2801
3) Stowa Marine Auto - just too big for me for a dress watch
4) Tourby Small Pilot Aviator- was really nice but at this price I prefer Sinn and Damasko. After a while the dial was a bit too plain
5) Sinn 556 I - I really like the 556 and might get another one. I wasn't wearing it when I got it because I had the Stowa Flieger and the 856 but I prefer the 556 I to the Stowa as it fits me better and I prefer bracelets.
6) Sinn EZM3 - bought it and thought it got lost in the mail so bought an 856. When this finally came had to sell it. Nice watch and would consider it again but happy with my 856 for now :D
Had a few Omegas during the year

1) Omega Railmaster - had been a long time grail of mine then I got it and had it for a couple months. Flipped it when I needed money as it was easier to sell then to sell 2 or 3 other watches
2) Omega 2552.50 SMP - midsize SMP just too small for me
3) Omega midsize Blue Bond quartz- ditto
4) Omega Aqua Terra silver dial - was a impulsive buy

Also had a Speedbird III GMT which I really liked because of the bracelet. Think I sold this one when I was buying up the Omegas.

I just purchased a Damasko DC 56 on the forum.. that will be the last one for this year
I think next year I'll see if I can add a Sinn 556 I again to go with my 856 and will definately do a lot less flipping

Attachments

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
Wow that makes my head spin! And I thought I had a busy year.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Nice collection, some would have been keepers in my book....who am I kidding...

·
Premium Member
5,273 Posts
I hummed the tune 'to all the girls I've loved before' by Julio Iglesias while I read..... Better to have loved and lost.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, all of them would have been keepers if I could afford it but the rule is to cap the amount I have invested in my watch collection...so there was the German watch phase then Omegas, then sold off most of the collection recently because we bought a house. Miss the Sinn 556 and the Baumuster B the most so will buy them again in 2013.

Have a Damasko DC 56 incoming; hopefully can resist adding anything else unless an awesome deal comes along....

I think I flipped half as many watches this year as in 2011, when I sold 28 watches - I was sending or receiving a watch pretty much every week

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
We definitely have parallel taste. I'd love to get my hands on a 556 at some point. I'm headed back to school (masters in urban planning) in the fall though so it might have to wait.

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
You sold a lot of nice watches, but if your signature is up to date, you still have a nice collection. Way to keep it real.

I think I'd miss the Alpinist the most, of the ones you sold. I'd have one now, if it had a timing bezel instead of a compass bezel. ;) The cathedral hands and hypnotic green dial are wonderful. Hell, I may get one anyway. ;)

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is interesting to see how I've done compared to a year ago:

in 2013 only flipped a few watches.
in no particular order

1) Grand Seiko SBGR053 - bought it used last December and sold it in August. I really loved that watch but the +8sec/day started to bug me. Actually it was my worst watch timekeeping accuracy wise, which is the opposite of what you expect for a Grand Seiko. Also Since I bought it used, there were a couple marks and scratches on the csae that I didn't put there. I'm getting to the point now where if I'm going to spend this much on a watch I may as well spend that bit extra and buy it new or at least in mint condition.

2) Omega Planet Ocean - bought in February and wore it a lot all summer. Put a toshi strap on it which made it fit a lot better but I still find it a bit to thick and heavy
-Almost traded it for an IWC Ingenieur 3239 but didn't find the cash to make up the difference in time ( from sale of GS above)

3) Stowa Baumuster B - this is the third Baumuster B I've owned. I bought this rather impulsively back in March and just sold it recently. Its a great watch and fun to own and wear, which is why I keep getting it again and again, but almost always reach for my Damasko when I want something more casual than my AT8500. Sold to fund camera equipment as I'm beginning a new hobby

4) Omega 2254.50 - picked this up after selling the Planet Ocean and had it for a couple weeks but sold it to fund a DSLR and some lenses

5) IWC MARK XVI - honestly don't know why I sold this. I should have kept it and saved up for the bracelet later but I am pretty happy with the Sinn 556A for now :p

THATS IT. Just flipped total of 5 watches this year (so far). I nearly sold my Omega Aqua Terra 8500 as well but glad I came to my senses and changed my mind.

I bought the GS last December used in order to try my first GS. Now I tried Grand Seiko and I'm thinking of getting another one. The others I just flipped becausae I wanted something thinner or lighter (PO) or to fund my new hobby..

Anyways hoping I can fll the last two spots in my watchbox and stay put for awhile.
Depending on the bonuses etc I may be in a position to add one more nice watch between $3-$4k next month and one later in the spring by March or April.

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
Some nice watches you had there. What are you considering if your bonus works out? I too considered an 8500 PO but every time I tried it on the thickness was just too apparent. Might have to get another 2500 at some point...

Thanks for sharing, very nice pics

·
Banned
2,649 Posts
I don't consider myself a flipper but this year I've sold:

Seiko SARB035 (re-bought it again)
Hamilton Jazzmaster (I liked this watch but it was used and had two marks that drove me nuts)
Seiko SBBN017 (Tuna)
Hamilton Khaki X-Wind
Ball Hydrocarbon (not sure why I bought this, I had it for 3 days and sold it)

My losses were fairly modest compared to some folks here, but the losses still bug me, it's made me a lot more selective and changed my tastes. From now on I keep my selections more versatile and conservative. Part of me wants to drop $1000.00 on a Seven Friday, but I know in a month my shirt sleeves bunching against it will drive me nuts and off it will go for a couple hundred buck loss. I don't want any watch over 42mm or smaller than 38mm, and if I want the watch, I wait a minimum of two months from when it first grabs my attention to purchase it. If I still want it two months later than I'll probably want it in a year. I try to minimize the impulse buys and buy watches I can always wear to work so they'll get wrist time.

The Tuna I loved, but once colder weather hit it won't fit under a shirt sleeve, so I can't stomach keeping an $800+ quartz watch I can only wear for 4 months so off it went.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have always wanted a No Date Sub but never pulled the trigger yet but may have to soon before Rolex gets priced out of what I want to spend on one forever.
I would like a Mark XVI again. I regret selling that but yeah it was cheap around $2k so I picked it up to see how I liked it and figured I could flip it without taking a loss so thats basically what I did.
The Sinn 556A is a really nice substitute and I'm happy with it but its just not the same

Some nice watches you had there. What are you considering if your bonus works out? I too considered an 8500 PO but every time I tried it on the thickness was just too apparent. Might have to get another 2500 at some point...

Thanks for sharing, very nice pics

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah thats a really good idea to wait a few months before you buy. That was my problem in the first two years of this hobby, basically everything was an impulse buy.
So now I'm in the position that I can afford what I want within reason I take my time a bit more to decide as well and don't have many impulse purchases that I just flip almost immediately

I don't consider myself a flipper but this year I've sold:

Seiko SARB035 (re-bought it again)
Hamilton Jazzmaster (I liked this watch but it was used and had two marks that drove me nuts)
Seiko SBBN017 (Tuna)
Hamilton Khaki X-Wind
Ball Hydrocarbon (not sure why I bought this, I had it for 3 days and sold it)

My losses were fairly modest compared to some folks here, but the losses still bug me, it's made me a lot more selective and changed my tastes. From now on I keep my selections more versatile and conservative. Part of me wants to drop $1000.00 on a Seven Friday, but I know in a month my shirt sleeves bunching against it will drive me nuts and off it will go for a couple hundred buck loss. I don't want any watch over 42mm or smaller than 38mm, and if I want the watch, I wait a minimum of two months from when it first grabs my attention to purchase it. If I still want it two months later than I'll probably want it in a year. I try to minimize the impulse buys and buy watches I can always wear to work so they'll get wrist time.

The Tuna I loved, but once colder weather hit it won't fit under a shirt sleeve, so I can't stomach keeping an $800+ quartz watch I can only wear for 4 months so off it went.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts